Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom broadband

Options
  • 01-11-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭

Hi there. Ive just had a problem come about today. I purchased a twin cordless phone setup to replace the last one which couldnt hold its battery charge for long. When I ring the home phone and answer with these new phones it disconnects the modem until the call is over. I dont understand the significance of filters, spliters etc, save to say the new phone is connected the same way as the last one, and we ve tried as many permutations as possible. There is also another home phone connected (stationary as opposed to cordless) which when rang and answered doesnt interfer with the internet.

Also when a call is made on the cordless phone, a buzzing noise will sound on the line until the modem is turned off.

Appreciate any ideas and help with this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

darlett wrote: »
    Hi there. Ive just had a problem come about today. I purchased a twin cordless phone setup to replace the last one which couldnt hold its battery charge for long. When I ring the home phone and answer with these new phones it disconnects the modem until the call is over. I dont understand the significance of filters, spliters etc, save to say the new phone is connected the same way as the last one, and we ve tried as many permutations as possible. There is also another home phone connected (stationary as opposed to cordless) which when rang and answered doesnt interfer with the internet.

Also when a call is made on the cordless phone, a buzzing noise will sound on the line until the modem is turned off.

Appreciate any ideas and help with this.

Hi darlett,

Thanks for posting on the eircom Forum.

It's difficult to say what is causing the issue of Internet disconnects and your phone handset buzzing. Though I think possibly your new cordless phone may be connected to a secondary /or internal phone line setup. Your standard phone appears connected on your Master Phone Socket (mdp).

This is quite important in terms of understanding why your Internet maybe disconnecting - either when your new cordless phone is answered /or rings.

Your internal phone setup - private phone wiring is something that you need to support directly yourself. A phoneline service provider, like eircom, will only support his or her own equipment, and only up to the point of the master phone socket (mdp).

Some suggestions: Obviously check with your new cordless phone and is set up according to it's manufacturer's instructions. You may need to check this with the manufacturer or handset vendor.

Secondly, if you have confirmed the above, I would test your new phone on the same phone point socket as your main standard phone. This will help establish if you have an internal wiring or handset or Splitter or Filter issue.

Please note, if you have an issue with your internal phone wiring you may need help from an electrician or a company that provides a service support for internal phone wiring.

Your Adsl Splitter should be connected to your Standard Main Phone and must be on the Master phone socket (mdp) in your house. Therefore when testing your new phone setup, temporarily disconnect your standard home phone that's working and use this Adsl Splitter in the same phone socket (mdp). i.e : Ensure you temporarily remove your Standard phone completely while testing your new phone on the master phone socket (mdp).

One difference between the eircom Adsl Splitter and the eircom (Micro) Filter(s) is that the Splitter has two ports : one for a phone and the other for the modem. Where as the Filter has just one port in and one port out for any additional secondary phones you have. The Splitter is designed so that you can use your phone at the same time as your broadband modem. This must go onto the Master phone socket only. The Filters are simply designed to stop leeching of the broadband signal (frequency) and this helps with voice quality on your handset(s). Filters should be employed on all secondary phone sockets and never on the Master phone socket (mdp)

If your new phone works on the same point as your Standard phone, then you know you have an internal phone line problem. Simply ensuring you filter all your secondary phone sockets may resolve this. Otherwise you may need help from an electrician or internal phone line provider may solve this.

Please let me know if I can help further.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I can happily report the issue has been resolved by adding a DSL filter onto the line ahead of the cordless phones.

"It's difficult to say what is causing the issue of Internet disconnects and your phone handset buzzing. Though I think possibly your new cordless phone may be connected to a secondary /or internal phone line setup. Your standard phone appears connected on your Master Phone Socket (mdp). "

The set-up has both the standard phone and cordless connected to the mdp via a line splitter-this was something we had to find out to solve modem fault about a year ago. I did experiment yesterday with the cordless directly into the mdp leaving the other phone disconnected, but the result was the same when the phones were used.

Now the current setup is mdp splits into two. One is direct line into the standard phone, and the other is into a DSL filter, then into the cordless phone, and the modem is connected to a secondary line in a different room. Im not sure why the old cordless didnt have this need (hardly had some different hardware in the base?), but everything is resolved and working well now.

Thanks again for your help,

Darlett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

darlett wrote: »
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. I can happily report the issue has been resolved by adding a DSL filter onto the line ahead of the cordless phones.

"It's difficult to say what is causing the issue of Internet disconnects and your phone handset buzzing. Though I think possibly your new cordless phone may be connected to a secondary /or internal phone line setup. Your standard phone appears connected on your Master Phone Socket (mdp). "

The set-up has both the standard phone and cordless connected to the mdp via a line splitter-this was something we had to find out to solve modem fault about a year ago. I did experiment yesterday with the cordless directly into the mdp leaving the other phone disconnected, but the result was the same when the phones were used.

Now the current setup is mdp splits into two. One is direct line into the standard phone, and the other is into a DSL filter, then into the cordless phone, and the modem is connected to a secondary line in a different room. Im not sure why the old cordless didnt have this need (hardly had some different hardware in the base?), but everything is resolved and working well now.

Thanks again for your help,

Darlett
    Thanks for getting back and happy issue has been resolved. Any further issue please let us know.
    Tony

Advertisement