Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Oldskool Appreciation Party - O.A.P's thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

A few mixes i was forgetting to throw up here

DILLY live @ REACTIVE North vs South, Dublin 310307.mp3
    http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/54933374/file.html

ED CASE LIVE @ REACTIVE North vs South, Dublin 310307.mp3
    http://www6.zippyshare.com/v/15459140/file.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

aceberg wrote: »
    A few mixes i was forgetting to throw up here

DILLY live @ REACTIVE North vs South, Dublin 310307.mp3
    http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/54933374/file.html

ED CASE LIVE @ REACTIVE North vs South, Dublin 310307.mp3
    http://www6.zippyshare.com/v/15459140/file.html
    that's why I never went to any of those reunions... all crowd pleasing tunes... tunes uve heard a million and one times.. their old mixes were the business tho

that's why I never went to any of those reunions... all crowd pleasing tunes... tunes uve heard a million and one times.. their old mixes were the business tho

Yes very tru Mac.There's was quite a few oldskool gigs around that time b.The lads used to up them but i did'nt d/l many of them.Possibly for that reason u gave.

But sure even that lads who went regularly would be complaining about the sets.I think 1 well known DJ played the same set at 2 different gigs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

Yes very tru Mac.There's was quite a few oldskool gigs around that time b.The lads used to up them but i did'nt d/l many of them.Possibly for that reason u gave.

But sure even that lads who went regularly would be complaining about the sets.I think 1 well known DJ played the same set at 2 different gigs

I suppose I'll hold my hand up and say I'm guilty of doing that, and to be honest I'd rarther play techno than the european label trance numbers as there is so much excellent unheard techno that's in my collection, however when I have tried to do something different the whinging from punters is ****ing unbelievable, the dance floor clears and only fills up again when a well known tune is put on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

francois wrote: »
    I suppose I'll hold my hand up and say I'm guilty of doing that, and to be honest I'd rarther play techno than the european label trance numbers as there is so much excellent unheard techno that's in my collection, however when I have tried to do something different the whinging from punters is ****ing unbelievable, the dance floor clears and only fills up again when a well known tune is put on

Doesn't say much, for the "musical diversity" or the punters, of these oldskool events. In general though, Irish "club land" (for want of a better phrase) has always been very limited musically, in comparison to the UK, Europe, etc.

francois wrote: »

I was'nt refering to you by the way francois lol.It was Warren.But yes i see you point.Maybe same reason Warren played the same tunes....
    es-cee wrote: »
    Doesn't say much, for the "musical diversity" or the punters, of these oldskool events. In general though, Irish "club land" (for want of a better phrase) has always been very limited musically, in comparison to the UK, Europe, etc.

I wonder was i go to do with the various cultures and races in England at the time Sean and even now.Altho we are probably seeing more varying cultures here now but back then i would say it was less.Obviously there are alot more ppl in England so hence the chance of a greater musical diversity

Just a thought

I was'nt refering to you by the way francois lol.It was Warren.But yes i see you point.Maybe same reason Warren played the same tunes....

I wonder was i go to do with the various cultures and races in England at the time Sean and even now.Altho we are probably seeing more varying cultures here now but back then i would say it was less.Obviously there are alot more ppl in England so hence the chance of a greater musical diversity

Just a thought

House, Trance, and the occasional bit of Techno, although Techno has a much bigger following these days. What else is there, that has been up there as big as those mentioned? Answer is nothing. 20 odd years, of the same stuff, every weekend in Dublin. And as for there being more people in England, granted, there are millions more people in London alone, than in this country. But what fraction of those people, were actually involved in the scene? Not just talking about ravers/clubbers, i'm talking about producers and DJ's. I mean, the majority of the stuff played here, was shipped in from Europe anyway. And there's a lot more on offer in Europe, than house and trance like, isn't there?

I do take into account btw, that there has always been the odd club, through the years, willing to break the mold in this City. But for the most part, it's been very same old same old. Francois' post there, proves my point. When you have clubbers, who whinge, or walk off the dance floor, because you're not playing the tunes they know, and are not willing to even entertain something new (to them, whether it be an old tune, or new) it doesn't really say much for them tbh.

Some good tracks on this mix

• Advertisement

House, Trance, and the occasional bit of Techno, although Techno has a much bigger following these days. What else is there, that has been up there as big as those mentioned? Answer is nothing. 20 odd years, of the same stuff, every weekend in Dublin. And as for there being more people in England, granted, there are millions more people in London alone, than in this country. But what fraction of those people, were actually involved in the scene? Not just talking about ravers/clubbers, i'm talking about producers and DJ's. I mean, the majority of the stuff played here, was shipped in from Europe anyway. And there's a lot more on offer in Europe, than house and trance like, isn't there?

Yeah i totally understand ppls point of view on the same tunes etc and whinging clubbers.....

But u still gotta take into account the population of some of those countries.Where talking over 60 million i would say in Germay and 50 in England.

Also the funny thing is when trying to id tracks from the Dublin mixes as we call them.It's still very hard to get them id's on discogs etc.Which contain alot of european members and some English.I geuss we just had a different scene over here.Just a point that might be relevent.

Also just wondering u might have more knowledge than me on this.What was the jungle/break beat scene like in Germany and other European countiers for that matter back in the early 90's...

Yeah i totally understand ppls point of view on the same tunes etc and whinging clubbers.....

But u still gotta take into account the population of some of those countries.Where talking over 60 million i would say in Germay and 50 in England.

Also the funny thing is when trying to id tracks from the Dublin mixes as we call them.It's still very hard to get them id's on discogs etc.Which contain alot of european members and some English.I geuss we just had a different scene over here.Just a point that might be relevent.

Also just wondering u might have more knowledge than me on this.What was the jungle/break beat scene like in Germany and other European countiers for that matter back in the early 90's...

There are far more genres, that don't get a mention, other than breakbeat & jungle. I wasn't talking about that at all, in case you think i'm having a go here, because i'm not. I'm merely stating what i've seen through the years, as a clubber myself. All that Trance came from Germany the majority of times. You hardly think Oliver Lieb, PVD etc, were making tunes, just to put out on the Irish market do ya? The fact of the matter is, although we (Ireland) have had some dance acts through the years, the majority of the music came from Europe. With all those countries, with those huge huge populations, that have had such an impression, on this small nation, do you not think other stiles should have dripped through? That's all i'm trying to say here. Just seems odd to me, that 2 specific genres, have ruled the roost here, for so long, when there is an utter wealth of music, that hardly gets a look in.

There are far more genres, that don't get a mention, other than breakbeat & jungle. I wasn't talking about that at all, in case you think i'm having a go here, because i'm not. I'm merely stating what i've seen through the years, as a clubber myself. All that Trance came from Germany the majority of times. You hardly think Oliver Lieb, PVD etc, were making tunes, just to put out on the Irish market do ya? The fact of the matter is, although we (Ireland) have had some dance acts through the years, the majority of the music came from Europe. With all those countries, with those huge huge populations, that have had such an impression, on this small nation, do you not think other stiles should have dripped through? That's all i'm trying to say here. Just seems odd to me, that 2 specific genres, have ruled the roost here, for so long, when there is an utter wealth of music, that hardly gets a look in.

No Sean i don't think your having a go at all.We are merely expressing are views.:D

Yes there certianly are far more genres that don't get a mention.I'm just trying to understand why the scene over here was restricted in terms of the genres and styles played.It's just my view tha population has a big effect on it.

I think also you must take into account the logistics (for want of a better word...lol).I would say alot off ppl traveled throughout mainland Europe and maybe even to England checking out the various renound clubs.Likewise ppl from Irealnd traveling to England to check out the raves and clubs over there.But i would doubt there would have been a big culture of pppl traveling to Ireland to check out the big clubs here :eek:
    possibly a select amount.

I'm sure the same could have bben said for the DJ's and music they brought in.I'm sure there were alot of DJ's in England and mainland Europe visiting and playing trading there styles of music etc.Therefore more of a chance of the different styles being spread.How many DJ's from Irealnd traveled,probably a select few.So hence the reason we only had limited styles/genres.More generates more i suppose.Just my view anyways does'nt mean it correct...:D

By the way i don't really get the point your trying to make here

You hardly think Oliver Lieb, PVD etc, were making tunes, just to put out on the Irish market do ya?

explainn please....:D

I geuss we just had a different scene over here.Just a point that might be relevent.

You hardly think Oliver Lieb, PVD etc, were making tunes, just to put out on the Irish market do ya?

You said in the post above, that "We just had a different scene over here", but in fact we really relied on Europe, as most of those big tunes, came from Europe. Which is why i stated "You hardly think Oliver Lieb, PVD etc, were making tunes, just to put out on the Irish market do ya?" :D

You said in the post above, that "We just had a different scene over here", but in fact we really relied on Europe, as most of those big tunes, came from Europe. Which is why i stated "You hardly think Oliver Lieb, PVD etc, were making tunes, just to put out on the Irish market do ya?" :D

Ah yes i get ya now good point.

I just find alot of the tunes on the Dublin mixes are hard to id even from the europeans and english and alot of them u don't even hear on the Sven Vath/Dag/Lieb/PVD etc mixes....

I think are scene was unique...lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ROCKY MANGAN

Here's another 1

Did'nt get round to attempint a tracky i think most of them are common anyways.

If memory serves me correct it was Derra who u/l this initially on NI,but i stand to be corrected on that

ace could you send me a link 2 d/l that asphex mix please, an who is ASPHEX? never heard of him, wats he like for givin out id,s ? lol

Here's another 1

Did'nt get round to attempint a tracky i think most of them are common anyways.

If memory serves me correct it was Derra who u/l this initially on NI,but i stand to be corrected on that

haha I was in that club,, trance budda in Amsterdam,, it a lot like the asylum.. dark n dirty with everyone off their faces.. ya ya ya lol

• Advertisement

ace could you send me a link 2 d/l that asphex mix please, an who is ASPHEX? never heard of him, wats he like for givin out id,s ? lol

I'll u/l it now Joe have'nt a clue who that DJ is can't say i remember him/her meself.You'll have to ask Derra
    haha I was in that club,, trance budda in Amsterdam,, it a lot like the asylum.. dark n dirty with everyone off their faces.. ya ya ya lol

Hah ha no way any good...

mentlegan ace berg. . . .

mentlegan ace berg. . . .

your spot on with mentle
    it's bace erg ...lol but your learning bace for your face London ...lol :D

3 - DJ ASPHEX LIVE IN THE ASYLUM 94 Asylum Live 94.mp3
    http://www67.zippyshare.com/v/57219575/file.html

I'm wondering was DJ ASPHEX a thirdfloor DJ.

The third floor was for new up and coming DJ's at the time i have a Jay Tang & Sara Colohan from the third floor i'll up them 2morrow

up an comin is rite bace erg, up and coming them stairs ha ha , thanks 4 the link, nuff respek 2 the dj ace case, is that wer u got ur big break ace on the 3rd floor? of jason,s ha ha

i got me big break with jim davidson, chalk me cue an ill pot your pink, ha ha

Hah ha no way any good...
    it was,,1999 and 2000 I was there.. was a lot like the asylum, went on til about 6 or 7.. we bought pills in the place,, like a little bar or counter where you qued for your pills, they were ok,, but we got better ones in there,,tunes were abit diff tho,, more European stuff, well obviously,, but played afew asylum tunes,,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

No Sean i don't think your having a go at all.We are merely expressing are views.:D

Yes there certianly are far more genres that don't get a mention.I'm just trying to understand why the scene over here was restricted in terms of the genres and styles played.It's just my view tha population has a big effect on it.

I think also you must take into account the logistics (for want of a better word...lol).I would say alot off ppl traveled throughout mainland Europe and maybe even to England checking out the various renound clubs.Likewise ppl from Irealnd traveling to England to check out the raves and clubs over there.But i would doubt there would have been a big culture of pppl traveling to Ireland to check out the big clubs here :eek:
    possibly a select amount.

I'm sure the same could have bben said for the DJ's and music they brought in.I'm sure there were alot of DJ's in England and mainland Europe visiting and playing trading there styles of music etc.Therefore more of a chance of the different styles being spread.How many DJ's from Irealnd traveled,probably a select few.So hence the reason we only had limited styles/genres.More generates more i suppose.Just my view anyways does'nt mean it correct...:D

Simply - CHANGE! ...... the majority of us here fear it,dont like it or cant take to it!

.......... but that's just my opinion. :D

EarlERizer wrote: »
    Simply - CHANGE! ...... the majority of us here fear it,dont like it or cant take to it!

.......... but that's just my opinion. :D

I think that's what it is too, people get too comfy with routine, instead of doing and experiencing new things. Variety is the spice of life, after all ;)

Fuuny thing is apperently the early days of the Asylum was all hardcore can't say i remember much hardcore meself in there and i'm sure i was in ther a few times in the early days unless it was opened earlier than i realised.

Not too sure when the music stlye changed either

Anybody know exactly when it opened

The guys on Coast FM ran gabberhardcore nites in the Parnell Mooney on a Friday nite.

here's another anybody care to start a tracklist feel free....i'm tired now...lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

I was one of the very few ravers in the 90's who used to go to occasionally to England for raves, obviously flying at that time was out of the question given the cost back then so the ferry it was, had some poxy comedowns coming back on the ferry on rough seas :eek: but it opened my eyes to a completely different scene, while majority in Ireland didn't either know much or weren't into Hardcore i absolutely loved it, there was something amazing about going to a Hardcore Rave in a big **** off warehouse with thousands of ravers mad outta it:)

jonnny68 wrote: »
    I was one of the very few ravers in the 90's who used to go to occasionally to England for raves, obviously flying at that time was out of the question given the cost back then so the ferry it was, had some poxy comedowns coming back on the ferry on rough seas :eek: but it opened my eyes to a completely different scene, while majority in Ireland didn't either know much or weren't into Hardcore i absolutely loved it, there was something amazing about going to a Hardcore Rave in a big **** off warehouse with thousands of ravers mad outta it:)

Yeah i'd say that is amazing.Completely different atmosphere to that of an Asylum venue.I'd say the Olmypic was a slight taste of the type of Atmosphere of the warehouse raves altho different style of music played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

Fuuny thing is apperently the early days of the Asylum was all hardcore can't say i remember much hardcore meself in there and i'm sure i was in ther a few times in the early days unless it was opened earlier than i realised.

The original video i have of the Asylum is aall hardcore, i never upped it in its original form, PM me an address ace & i'll post a copy and you can do the honours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Just one tune missing to complete the mix. Anybody any idea what it is?

Part 1

1. Sitvac - Wishful Thinking
    2. Sander & Stef - Conflics
    3. Allium - Hold Your Pillow
    4. The Peppermint Lounge - Lemon Project
    5. Slacker - Flying
    6. Team Deep - Morning Light
    7. DJ Quicksilver - I Have A Dream (De Donatis Mix)
    8????????????

Part 2

1. SJ - Fever (Tony De Vit Mix)
    2. D-Bop - BDE
    3. Rachel Auburn - Machine Man
    4. Control - The Dream
    5. Moonman - Don't Be Afraid
    6. Committe - Welcome (I Said Shut Up)
    7. Loverman - Ain't Seen Nothing Yet!!! (Rachel Auburns Big Boom Mix)
    8. The Handbagger - 4 Those Who Can Dance (Klubbed Up Mix)

links

a= http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/73884267/file.html

b= http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/49971102/file.html

Not my best work, but if you like Jungle, you'll love this mix, this mix has some quality tracks on it. All '94-'95 stuff ;)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ooq59oacms6zv9h/Es-Cee_-_Jungle_Fever_-_20-07-2013.mp3

Recorded less than an hour ago, over on http://onlyoldskool.com/Radio.html for their Jungle fever day, which is still ongoing too, tune in :)

EarlERizer at the controls now btw, some savage tunes going down! http://onlyoldskool.com/Radio.html

tdv123 wrote: »
    Just one tune missing to complete the mix. Anybody any idea what it is?

Part 1

1. Sitvac - Wishful Thinking
    2. Sander & Stef - Conflics
    3. Allium - Hold Your Pillow
    4. The Peppermint Lounge - Lemon Project
    5. Slacker - Flying
    6. Team Deep - Morning Light
    7. DJ Quicksilver - I Have A Dream (De Donatis Mix)
    8????????????

Part 2

1. SJ - Fever (Tony De Vit Mix)
    2. D-Bop - BDE
    3. Rachel Auburn - Machine Man
    4. Control - The Dream
    5. Moonman - Don't Be Afraid
    6. Committe - Welcome (I Said Shut Up)
    7. Loverman - Ain't Seen Nothing Yet!!! (Rachel Auburns Big Boom Mix)
    8. The Handbagger - 4 Those Who Can Dance (Klubbed Up Mix)

links

a= http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/73884267/file.html

b= http://www62.zippyshare.com/v/49971102/file.html

I think the missing track is Exit EEE - Love Is Solution (1996)

Not normally my strenghts...not that i have any lol...but i managed to remember this 1...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Anyone go to Mark Archer in Mezz last night?

Superb night, great set as always from Mark, atmosphere was very good.

Ended up at one of the after hours raves, jaysus I'm in a bad way here at my age seriously not able for it like I used to be back in the day, once in the blue moon though it has to be done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭bluemoon2010

I think the missing track is Exit EEE - Love Is Solution (1996)

Not normally my strenghts...not that i have any lol...but i managed to remember this 1...:D

Ace do you know any of these one is off another MK mix have a listen when u get a chance :cool:

http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/27510524/file.html

http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/54451660/file.html

Ace do you know any of these one is off another MK mix have a listen when u get a chance :cool:

http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/27510524/file.html

http://www71.zippyshare.com/v/54451660/file.html

usually don't know too much of his stuff if it's hardhoudse..i'll give it a go 2morrow off to watch a movie.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 400 ✭✭bluemoon2010

usually don't know too much of his stuff if it's hardhoudse..i'll give it a go 2morrow off to watch a movie.....

No boder thanks ace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

anyone able to ID this? thanks. http://www21.zippyshare.com/v/52783356/file.html

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

No sorry lads don't know any of them tracks

Nice mix Joe any id's on that first track please....:D

Nice mix Joe any id's on that first track please....:D
    http://www.discogs.com/DJ-Rasoul-Oh-Baby-Disc-Two/release/1131843. its 2002 but it sounds like old skool, red jerry on the remix. :)

http://www.discogs.com/DJ-Rasoul-Oh-Baby-Disc-Two/release/1131843. its 2002 but it sounds like old skool, red jerry on the remix. :)

Nice 1 Joe....gets better everytime i listen to it :D......2002.....yes sounds very oldskool indeed.

Who's Stephaine wy the bay

Nice 1 Joe....gets better everytime i listen to it :D......2002.....yes sounds very oldskool indeed.

Who's Stephaine wy the bay

stephanie is me heavily pregnant misses ace , 8 weeks 2 go for baby number 2 and me last 2 boys is enough for joe ha ha , you goin 1 more yourself ace case?? ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement