Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Oldskool Appreciation Party - O.A.P's thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Ant C wrote: »
    Classic big tree number back in the day. Al Stevens used to bang this out week after week and actually never wore thin.

Yeah it's that kind of track,but still always class it as cheese.I'd say if you took the piano break out then the rest is cheese..lol

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Ant C

aceberg wrote: »

Yeah it's that kind of track,but still always class it as cheese.I'd say if you took the piano break out then the rest is cheese..lol

True that mate.

How about volcano - let your body be free? Another cornerstone of the big tree back on the day.

True that mate.

How about volcano - let your body be free? Another cornerstone of the big tree back on the day.

Ah yes now thats a classic.I was meant to stick it up with k-klass.I always find when i think of either one of these songs it always reminds me of the other...:D

Have that on a mix here along with a couple of others

http://www.mixcrate.com/antc1975/juicy-choons-mix-2-235781

SOUND i'll d/l it and give it a whirl.

Again when i hear of r think of this track it always reminds me of this song

Always loved the piano in this aswell

SOUND i'll d/l it and give it a whirl.

Again when i hear of r think of this track it always reminds me of this song

I've been looking for a good copy of this track - only have a **** utube rip of it. Did u have this in vinyl, seem to remember that and if so fancy posting it up for me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

Some of the best and most widely sampled piano, are on this video.

I've been looking for a good copy of this track - only have a **** utube rip of it. Did u have this in vinyl, seem to remember that and if so fancy posting it up for me?

I dod have a rip from a vinyl but it's only 128kbps.I'm not to sure if i still have the vinyl i'll check later if you want.i have 1 turntable set-up since last week so i can rip the vinyl if i have it.Only problem is ther is a ****ing hissing sound coming from somewhere and it can be heard when i record any vinyl.I'll try figure out to stop it.

The set-up i have now is slightly to the set-up i had maybe 6/7 yrs ago when i first started to rip vinyl.The pc is different,so maybe something to do with it.The line-in don't seem to be working so i have to use the pink port i think it is in the back of my pc for recording.......any idea's

es-cee wrote: »
    Some of the best and most widely sampled piano, are on this video.

Yes i heard this b4 Sean it's ****ing brilliant.

Love the piano break in thispure joy as the title states.

Moby dick at his best....:D

I dod have a rip from a vinyl but it's only 128kbps.I'm not to sure if i still have the vinyl i'll check later if you want.i have 1 turntable set-up since last week so i can rip the vinyl if i have it.Only problem is ther is a ****ing hissing sound coming from somewhere and it can be heard when i record any vinyl.I'll try figure out to stop it.

The set-up i have now is slightly to the set-up i had maybe 6/7 yrs ago when i first started to rip vinyl.The pc is different,so maybe something to do with it.The line-in don't seem to be working so i have to use the pink port i think it is in the back of my pc for recording.......any idea's

What software are u using to record? Soundforge is very good.

Is it deck - amp - PC setup?

Just go from the booth out on your mixer to the line in on your pc Asa, and use Audacity to record it, it's free, and piss easy to use.

• Advertisement

Do a few trial runs, to get your levels right, so they don't clip (very important) and export it, and keep it as a wav, not mp3 (even more important!) :D

What software are u using to record? Soundforge is very good.

Is it deck - amp - PC setup?

Close Deck amp pc and stero set-up i use cool edit pro.Personally i find it more user friendly than sound forge.
    Just go from the booth out on your mixer to the line in on your pc Asa, and use Audacity to record it, it's free, and piss easy to use.

This is what i'm trying to say Sean i used to have it set-up that way but as i've mentioned the line in does not appear to be working on this pc i'm using.When i set my volume to recording device on the pc the line-in volume tab is greyed out if you get me.Here can i load a picture up here and i'll do a screen shot to show ya.
    Do a few trial runs, to get your levels right, so they don't clip (very important) and export it, and keep it as a wav, not mp3 (even more important!) :D

I do get the vinyl recorded.As i've mentiond ther is a strong hiss somund in the back ground that i never had on my old set-up.So it basically ruins the track.Here i have a track i recored recently you'll hear the hiss.

I do get the vinyl recorded.As i've mentiond ther is a strong hiss somund in the back ground that i never had on my old set-up.So it basically ruins the track.Here i have a track i recored recently you'll hear the hiss.

You can get rid of background noise very easily Ace.

Don't normalise it, like he has done, in this vid.
    Normalising can leave the file clipped (sometimes),
    just amplify it to -0.1dB, that way it will never clip.

You can get rid of background noise very easily Ace.

Don't normalise it, like he has done, in this vid.
    Normalising can leave the file clipped (sometimes),
    just amplify it to -0.1dB, that way it will never clip.

Ok so i normally would use the hiss removal in cool edit.But it tends to remove a little to much for my liking and i don't want the hiss either.:D.So basically when i use the hiss this is clipping it am i correct Sean.????????

See the thing is Sean i did'nt need to normalise it as i had it set the volume or made sure that the volume would be between -3 & 0 from the begging by basically placing the needle on a section of the vinyl that would probably reach the volume peak.So if the db on the eq on cool edit went red it'd just turn the volume down on the mixer till it was between -3 & 0 if you get what i'm saying but it makes no difference to the hiss as it's still ther.

• Advertisement

This video is very useful, for anyone who isn't clued in on audio recording.
    It's the way i record mixes, and rip vinyl, and it's the best way to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

I get a bad hiss on the laptop when recording if I dont unplug the laptop and run it on battery, some sort of feedback I guess ;)

Oldtree wrote: »
    I get a bad hiss on the laptop when recording if I dont unplug the laptop and run it on battery, some sort of feedback I guess ;)

Sounds like you need a ground loop isolator, you mac's power lead mightn't be earthed.

What software are you using btw? My mate has traktor set u on his mac, and he was getting static through his controller, into his sound system. I told him to buy a ground loop isolator, to go between his ouput to his system, and it's been grand ever since.

Ok so i normally would use the hiss removal in cool edit.But it tends to remove a little to much for my liking and i don't want the hiss either.:D.So basically when i use the hiss this is clipping it am i correct Sean.????????

See the thing is Sean i did'nt need to normalise it as i had it set the volume or made sure that the volume would be between -3 & 0 from the begging by basically placing the needle on a section of the vinyl that would probably reach the volume peak.So if the db on the eq on cool edit went red it'd just turn the volume down on the mixer till it was between -3 & 0 if you get what i'm saying but it makes no difference to the hiss as it's still ther.

No the hiss can be background noise, which can be removed. If i file is clipped, it means that it has been recorded at too high a level, and distorts, which can't be fixed. i usually record mixes at around -10dB, the i limit them, and then i amplify them. Doing this will make your mixes sound much more professional, volume-wise. You will have a mix that is very high in volume, and still very clear and crisp sounding. All you need to do, to get rid of the hiss is. Leave a gap at the start of the track, where it will be just hiss and background noise. Then when the file is recorded, you highlight the area at the start that is just hiss, and "get the sound profile" of it. Then you highlight the entire track, and remove that noise. It's handy to do, if i was there with you now, i could show you, but obviously i'm not lol :D

No the hiss can be background noise, which can be removed. If i file is clipped, it means that it has been recorded at too high a level, and distorts, which can't be fixed. i usually record mixes at around -10dB, the i limit them, and then i amplify them. Doing this will make your mixes sound much more professional, volume-wise. You will have a mix that is very high in volume, and still very clear and crisp sounding. All you need to do, to get rid of the hiss is. Leave a gap at the start of the track, where it will be just hiss and background noise. Then when the file is recorded, you highlight the area at the start that is just hiss, and "get the sound profile" of it. Then you highlight the entire track, and remove that noise. It's handy to do, if i was there with you now, i could show you, but obviously i'm not lol :D

X C LENT Sean

The part about recording @ -10dB i did not know.The part about using the gab at the start i remember know it's coming back to me know,you've refreshed the memory for me.Been a few yrs since i've done vinyl.

Super thks for the info Sean

Now to see if i can find that vinyl for ''C''

C is Anto by the way we used to call him C.Probably not been called that for yr.Probabbly been called worse mind u....lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭holy_macaroni

X C LENT Sean

The part about recording @ -10dB i did not know.The part about using the gab at the start i remember know it's coming back to me know,you've refreshed the memory for me.Been a few yrs since i've done vinyl.

Super thks for the info Sean

Now to see if i can find that vinyl for ''C''

C is Anto by the way we used to call him C.Probably not been called that for yr.Probabbly been called worse mind u....lol :D

Still actually called "C" by some of the old boys alright but now all growed up so the old nickname is lost "to the oldskool".

It's great that we can share the knowledge like this, lads. Nice one for getting Asa sorted Sean. Makes me miss the oul decks though:mad:

Still actually called "C" by some of the old boys alright but now all growed up so the old nickname is lost "to the oldskool".

It's great that we can share the knowledge like this, lads. Nice one for getting Asa sorted Sean. Makes me miss the oul decks though:mad:

Never give up my decks man, i use traktor now, with timecoded vinyl, to preserve my record collection. It would be a right pain in the hoop, and very expensive, to replace nearly 4000 records :D

Never give up my decks man, i use traktor now, with timecoded vinyl, to preserve my record collection. It would be a right pain in the hoop, and very expensive, to replace nearly 4000 records :D

I still have all of my records, I wasn't prepared to part with them!!!!!!!!! Just had to sell the decks at the time:(

How does your set up work exactly mate?

• Advertisement

I still have all of my records, I wasn't prepared to part with them!!!!!!!!! Just had to sell the decks at the time:(

How does your set up work exactly mate?

Selling records, is a huge mistake!

I have a Mac, on that is a program called Traktor, which is basically a virtual DJ software. You get timecoded vinyl, which have nothing on them, and when you play them without a track loaded onto one of the decks in the software, you get a high pitched squeal from them (at a very low level of course). Basically you play all your digital files, from your computer, on your turntables, and control them with the timecoded vinyls, like you would a regular vinyl record.

It's the business, i love it. I still buy a lot of vinyl as well, but i usually rip them when i do, and use them through Traktor.

Just seen this, over on the dnb thread. Love Omni Trio's stuff, some really awesome tracks they've released, and this is no exception!

And of course, i can't post about Omni Trio, without posting this compete classic as well ;)

What a tune, still sends shivers down my spine, to this day!

It's the business, i love it. I still buy a lot of vinyl as well, but i usually rip them when i do, and use them through Traktor.

Cheers mate, looks like an excellent set up.

Gonna look into this.

How technology has progressed over the years is just amazing.

Still I won't miss lugging a big back of records around. Remember those days:pac::pac::pac:

Cheers mate, looks like an excellent set up.

Gonna look into this.

How technology has progressed over the years is just amazing.

Still I won't miss lugging a big back of records around. Remember those days:pac::pac::pac:

Yeah, that was a pain! I just burn cd's mostly these days, and use cdjs, when they're available. Most of my mates have them anyway, so any parties or anything, i just bring a cd wallet with me, that i don't have to worry about. Used to be a melt, bringing all your vinyl to parties, and having to look after them and make sure none went missing etc. Dead handy having cdjs these days, if the wallet goes missing, i only need to buy a new wallet, all the tunes are still on my hard drive, so happy days in that respect :)

Yeah, that was a pain! I just burn cd's mostly these days, and use cdjs, when they're available. Most of my mates have them anyway, so any parties or anything, i just bring a cd wallet with me, that i don't have to worry about. Used to be a melt, bringing all your vinyl to parties, and having to look after them and make sure none went missing etc. Dead handy having cdjs these days, if the wallet goes missing, i only need to buy a new wallet, all the tunes are still on my hard drive, so happy days in that respect :)

Yeah, dunno how many times I came back from a session with my record back a bit "lighter" and all in the wrong sleeves. First 20 mins of the imx and I'd be really precious about putting the right records in the right sleeves then after that I would just give up and lash them back in anywhere!!

Still, also ended up with a few stray records in the bag so its swings and roundabouts really!!

Yeah, dunno how many times I came back from a session with my record back a bit "lighter" and all in the wrong sleeves. First 20 mins of the imx and I'd be really precious about putting the right records in the right sleeves then after that I would just give up and lash them back in anywhere!!

Still, also ended up with a few stray records in the bag so its swings and roundabouts really!!

Definitely, that's happened me quiet a few times too.
    Most of the time, it would just be doubles of vinyl's i'd
    have already though. At least with bringing a cd wallet,
    like i posted above, you can just relax, and enjoy yourself,
    without the worry of minding records, which can ruin your
    night really.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭skoot

nice piano indeed..

• Advertisement

Wicked mix this, Slipmatt & Lime, back to back for Mixmag :cool:

I have the CD there, if anyone wants it ripped :)

classic !

Anto man sorry bout the delay got called away to watch a movie with the kids ya know yourself.And unfortunatly i think its bad news,i don't think i have that track on vinyl at all.I think i was geting mixed up with Beat Syndicate, The ‎– Throw The Madness,thats the 1 i have on vinyl

I have 2 more piles of records to go tru but i am doubting i have it.I'll go tru the others 2morrow and let ya know yeah.

Another mix, which is legendary!

https://soundcloud.com/dsci4/1997mp3

Top selection, of the darkest music, known to man :D

Anto man sorry bout the delay got called away to watch a movie with the kids ya know yourself.And unfortunatly i think its bad news,i don't think i have that track on vinyl at all.I think i was geting mixed up with Beat Syndicate, The ‎– Throw The Madness,thats the 1 i have on vinyl

I have 2 more piles of records to go tru but i am doubting i have it.I'll go tru the others 2morrow and let ya know yeah.

No panic mate, if u don't have it it's not the end of the world. Appreciate u checking it out for me.

As I said, don't be going to too much trouble, I know what's its like to get some free time and the challenges that go along with it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

Carl Cox from Eurodance 1997 @ Cream in Liverpool

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ROCKY MANGAN

Ha ha nice 1 Joe was just listening to 1 of your mixes ther.

Joe Mangan - AD

Joe what the **** is the name of the second track can't remember for dear life.I tend to like confusing meself and think its Mesqite - Hyper Spectors but it aint.Anyways love the way you slip it in after Mystic Force.But the piano in that track is savage.:D

It's ok Joe i remembered.What bout the 1 after Luxor i have it aswell just can't remember of the top of me head tho,so go on helpm out a pal...:D

Piano break is Am in al :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Wicked mix this, Slipmatt & Lime, back to back for Mixmag :cool:

I have the CD there, if anyone wants it ripped :)
    yes please :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Thanks to those who got in touch about playing at a night I'm helping organise probably around April, 100% old skool, will post more details when things are finalised ;-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement