Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Law Firm Milk Rounds 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Pudsey1

parripassu wrote: »
    Thank you! But maybe MOP give more first round phone interviews than Arthur Cox do for group interviews,!
    I got a group interview with Cox and they are taking place over 6 days and there seems to be hourly slots so maybe there are alot of ppl being called too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭sazzyfiz

Pudsey1 wrote: »
    I got a group interview with Cox and they are taking place over 6 days and there seems to be hourly slots so maybe there are alot of ppl being called too!

i think there is around 500 applicants who get called to the group interview stage at Arthur Cox....IMO its one of the easiest interviews to get, however I only think this because during the summer it was the only firm I managed to get an interview with for the summer internship!

Have got the MOP phone interview as well as arthur cox this time round....i think its just a slow and steady processs.....3 years ago I didnt get a single interview!

now just a training contract lol....:D

sazzyfiz wrote: »
    i think there is around 500 applicants who get called to the group interview stage at Arthur Cox.... :D
    really?! Can I ask where you got the 500 figure from?

really?! Can I ask where you got the 500 figure from?

a trainee with arthur cox told me, however when I went to the group interview for the summer internship, it was groups of ten over an hourly basis.

and as there are 6 days of interviews this time round that could mean 80 candidates a day for 6 days....

a trainee with arthur cox told me, however when I went to the group interview for the summer internship, it was groups of ten over an hourly basis.

and as there are 6 days of interviews this time round that could mean 80 candidates a day for 6 days....
    yikes! and that was for internships?! thanks good to get some perspective!

Hi, has anyone received an Acknowledgement from Maples & Calder when they emailed their application?

Hi, has anyone received an Acknowledgement from Maples & Calder when they emailed their application?

due to some confusion with their application form a lady from their london office contacted me to tell me they had received my application. I think the London office initially deals with applications.

However I didnt receive an actual confirmation from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

i think there is around 500 applicants who get called to the group interview stage at Arthur Cox....IMO its one of the easiest interviews to get, however I only think this because during the summer it was the only firm I managed to get an interview with for the summer internship!

Hmph, I wouldn't call it easy:mad: makes those of us who didn't get the call feel even more crap now, cheers! Wow if they are interviewing 500, it would be interesting to see why they rejected me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 parripassu

colonel1 wrote: »

Hmph, I wouldn't call it easy:mad: makes those of us who didn't get the call feel even more crap now, cheers! Wow if they are interviewing 500, it would be interesting to see why they rejected me!

Yes I'm hoping 'easy' was an unfortunate choice of words.

Re MOP interview has anyone any ideas/experience on how to get through it?

• Advertisement

sorry i meant "easy" in comparison to the application form - literally results and ur cv as opposed to some other firms who have several competency based questions!

most def the wrong word to be used!!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 lablab

sassyfizz,

what is the difference in your CV between now and three yrs ago when you say u never got called for interview?

tks

lablab wrote: »
    sassyfizz,

what is the difference in your CV between now and three yrs ago when you say u never got called for interview?

tks

in the past 3 years i have finished my degree, passed 4 fe1s and awaiting results for two more, gotten legal experience in a medium sized commercial firm and done volunteering in a legal context!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Guys, for interview advice and years of people's experiences, you need to check out the other traineeship threads on this forum - this thread seems to be mostly questions with little answers so my advice would be to trawl through this thread, among others:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055669942

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=27367

• Registered Users Posts: 43 lablab

I just discovered that I missed the maples and calder application form.

Before today I never even heard of them. Does anyone know of a definitive listing where I could obtain the name of every firm looking to hire?????

lablab wrote: »
    I just discovered that I missed the maples and calder application form.

Before today I never even heard of them. Does anyone know of a definitive listing where I could obtain the name of every firm looking to hire?????

check legal 500 for the biggest firms....theyre usually the ones which hire!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

sorry i meant "easy" in comparison to the application form - literally results and ur cv as opposed to some other firms who have several competency based questions!

most def the wrong word to be used!!
    No worries sazzyfiz am just being a big baby 2day! I see u have legal experience yeah that deffo helps! I don't have that. Do u mind me asking if u volunteered or was it paid? At the moment I need to work ft so will have to see what can be done in 2012 to get legal experience.

colonel1 wrote: »
    No worries sazzyfiz am just being a big baby 2day! I see u have legal experience yeah that deffo helps! I don't have that. Do u mind me asking if u volunteered or was it paid? At the moment I need to work ft so will have to see what can be done in 2012 to get legal experience.

i volunteered for free with a charity. I offered to work for free for all my work experience. In two firms I worked for free and for the commercial firm I mentioned I was paid, which I was absolutely thrilled about. However this was under minimum wage so I also worked in a pub at the weekends! was absolutely brilliant experience, more than worth it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Hi, has any1 heard if MOP have been ringing today?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brumbram6

not me

U at beginning, middle or end of alphabet? would be great to hear if the A's got their call yet lol!

• Advertisement

in the middle, "O", tuesday probably...??

I'm right at the end too. They could have them all mixed up tho, u heard of any of ur friends getting them yet?

no, know nobody :( any idea what do they usually ask about??

I think its general q's, but their application form asked a lot of those so think its unlikely the'll repeat them again! What did u prepare for?

well, didn't prepare at all. :( using the principle, can't prepare it all so might as well do nothing ;)

didn't give a whole lotta notice for preparation! I think being too prepared can be a hindrance and prevents natural flow of convo

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Scarlet 27

Some of my friends did the Arthur Cox group interview but it was a couple of years ago so the format might have changed but the questions where just about topical things in the news at the moment, sports, entertainment etc I think they just want to see how you interact within the group dynamic, how good you are at expressing your views, eye contact, listening to what other people had to say etc. Probably best to brush up on your current affairs etc but I think they covered a number of different topics so that there would be something that everyone would know about. I think they try to make you as relaxed as possible and it is quite informal.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Strictly

This is what happened 2 years ago. A group of about 20 sit facing the table. Each person is asked 2 questions. The first question is about yourself just a couple of sentences. 2nd question is a general one to each person. After this the discussion is open and if you want to get called to the 2nd interview you have to make some comments at this point. Don't interupt people and be pleasant but you have to get a few opinions in at this point.
    2nd interview is much more difficult. Good luck to all. Glad I am not facing all that again!

No phone call today. :( will b staring at the phone tomoro as well, hope i won't get a sack...:)

Same anybody hear of any1 getting rang?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 GawdDamnHippie

I am in the exact same position as many of you, waiting for the all important call from MOP. I feel like I'm waiting for my Leaving Cert results all day, sitting by the phone for fear that I'd miss the call. I'd love to know if anyone got a call!? The anticipation is killing me lol :eek:

I am in the exact same position as many of you, waiting for the all important call from MOP. I feel like I'm waiting for my Leaving Cert results all day, sitting by the phone for fear that I'd miss the call. I'd love to know if anyone got a call!? The anticipation is killing me lol :eek:

Same as, just want to get it over with. Has anyone had the call today, how was it?

Does anyone know when we'll be hearing from A&L and the others? In fairness to Arthur Cox they were speedy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dylankay

A friend of mine missed a call from MOP today, they left a voicemail and she called immediately back, had to leave a voicemail and she was waiting all day long for the call back that never came! She would be middle of the alphabet so I don't think they are going by alphabetical order.

That is so horrible hopefully your friend will get a call tomorrow. I was wondering if they were going to interview alphabetically,my surname begins with "C" so I was convinced that I'd hear from them today so I was sitting looking at my phone since half 8 this morning, by 6 this evening, if they had actually called me I wouldn't have been able to answer a single question I was so tired. :o

I've been wondering about A&L as well, I keep checking my emails to see if they've been in contact, but no luck yet, hopefully we'll hear this week. Waiting is by far the worst part. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dylankay

Absolutely the worst part, I agree! Every morning frantically checking my email in the hope I have gotten some reply, but nothing....but I am sure the telephone and group interview will keep me going until we hear more! :p

This is my first year applying so I don't really know what to expect from the interviews, especially this telephone interview. I'm finding the prospect of having to impress over the phone daunting to say the least. But sure its all a learning experience and there's tonnes of us in the same boat.

It could be random selection who they call! Who knows, its all a mystery! Anyone heard of its the usual type general interview? Phone I think is worse than face to face as hard to get the person's reaction really

Any word today?! not sure If I want the phone to ring or not!

I want it to ring, sick of waiting. they should have at least named the day if not the time for this phone call, it would have been much more efficient.

• Advertisement

irkalein wrote: »
    I want it to ring, sick of waiting. they should have at least named the day if no the time for this phone call, it would have been much more efficient.

same! im not allowed my fone to be turned out at my part-time job and they conduct random locker searches checking! so afraid of missing the call during my shift this afternoon!

im considering ringin mops and asking for a time!

It's poor form of them not to give a day or time. I wonder what there reason is for it. I've missed lodsa lecturers im thinking of going to my lecture and then just ringing them back if they ring, but then again they could leave me waiting till end of tomorrow then!

SazzyFitz did u ring them, ur 1 sed in her email were free to contact her. I'm wondering is it a way of testing out initiative to see if we'll ring!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 LivinLaVida

Had my MOP phone interview yesterday. I actually thought that it was tough enough. My first proper interview over the phone and it is really hard to gauge what they thought. I usually have a fair idea after an interview whether I have got through or not but with this I have no idea. There was no real craic or reaction out of her. I am glad to have gotten it out of the way though as I was just sitting around all day waiting for it.

Have Cox now on Friday. Haven't heard back from anyone else. I think I made an idiotic mistake though with Fry's. I didn't know you needed written references rather I just sent them all the details of my referees in word documents. Nightmare!!:mad:

What did other people think of the phone interview?

Had my MOP phone interview yesterday. I actually thought that it was tough enough. My first proper interview over the phone and it is really hard to gauge what they thought. I usually have a fair idea after an interview whether I have got through or not but with this I have no idea. There was no real craic or reaction out of her. I am glad to have gotten it out of the way though as I was just sitting around all day waiting for it.

Have Cox now on Friday. Haven't heard back from anyone else. I think I made an idiotic mistake though with Fry's. I didn't know you needed written references rather I just sent them all the details of my referees in word documents. Nightmare!!:mad:

What did other people think of the phone interview?

Still waiting on mine. You are the first person I've heard of getting a call. What kind of questions were you asked, did it go for long?

LivinLaVida I'd really appreciate some insight as to what exactly about the interview was tough? were the questions difficult or was it just the experience of not having their body language to kinda guess whether your making a good impression?I've never had to do a telephone interview so its all new to me. I have to be honest the longer I have to wait though, the more and more anxious I'm getting about it.

Yeah, I just found the women doing the interview tough. It is just hard to get a gauge from a person when you can't see their facial expressions or to see if they are just reading of a list of questions if they are trying to catch you out. I just found it a strange experience. I would email them to just get it over with. Mine lasted maybe 15 and it was just typical interview stuff. I had prepared stuff on commercial cases and topical things but nothing about that. All about you really

• Advertisement

That's really helpful to know thank you so much. I felt more prepared at 8 this morning as the time drags on im getting weary ha. This is my second day not being able to leave the front of my house for fear that I loose coverage on my phone, your very lucky that you got it over with yesterday, hopefully it went better than think. :)

Yeah hopefully all the best with it anyway let me know how it went:)

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

I did my MOP interview this morning. I have 2 friends that did theirs yesterday. It's all competency questions, nothing technical or Law related. Just have stuff prepared on skills and achievements. The interviewer didn't react at all to anything said (apart from follow up questions) and there seems to be a few seconds after you finish up until she speaks again making it hard to gauge what the reaction is. Trying to sell yourself over the phone is difficult.

Has anyone heard from McCann Fitz, Maples or any of the rest?

I still haven't been called! I hope they haven't lost my application or forgotten about me ha :eek: ! in all seriousness tho, I'm wondering what time they'll finish interviews today cos I need to leave my house and stretch my legs I'm starting to get cabin fever, there's only so much daytime TV that I can watch before I start losing my mind !!

Is there any1 else still waiting??

Just got my phone call. i am wrecked. not sure about how it went, not impressed with myself. ..

• Advertisement
Advertisement