Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Law Firm Milk Rounds 2011

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 dylankay

JaraCane wrote: »
    A Pfo from Mops and an interview offer from Maples all within 20 mins, an emotional rollercoaster!

Do you mind me asking how you heard from Maples (email/letter/phone)? and also is this your first contact back from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JaraCane

dylankay wrote: »
    A Pfo from Mops and an interview offer from Maples all within 20 mins, an emotional rollercoaster!

Do you mind me asking how you heard from Maples (email/letter/phone)? and also is this your first contact back from them?

I got An email from Maples inviting me to a drinks reception next Weds and "preliminary interview" in Mid Dec - date tbc (Am assuming this is Round One interviews with just different terminology)

This was my first point of contact with them, as in I didn't receive a confirmation email from then saying they received my application at the time I submitted it (I think that's what you're asking)

I got An email from Maples inviting me to a drinks reception next Weds and "preliminary interview" in Mid Dec - date tbc (Am assuming this is Round One interviews with just different terminology)

This was my first point of contact with them, as in I didn't receive a confirmation email from then saying they received my application at the time I submitted it (I think that's what you're asking)

Hahaha yes that is what I was asking (apologies for vagueness)

I haven't heard anything :( - really wanted them, ah well! Congrats to you though that is brilliant, well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭sazzyfiz

Hahaha yes that is what I was asking (apologies for vagueness)

I haven't heard anything :( - really wanted them, ah well! Congrats to you though that is brilliant, well done!

havent heard either :(

two pfos and a grim cox interview in one day will not be fun:(

sazzyfiz wrote: »
    havent heard either :(

two pfos and a grim cox interview in one day will not be fun:(

Did you have the Arthur Cox interview today too? What time were you on at?

Did you have the Arthur Cox interview today too? What time were you on at?

half 8.....insanely early!!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

How is the cox group interview?
    I have it tomorrow and I'm not sure what I should be doing for it!

I was on at half ten. Mine was not too bad to be honest, very laid back and nothing too current actually! My best advice is to try and be relaxed and enjoy the experience (if at all possible)! We had two quite lighthearted questions and the interviewers were very friendly.
    I found everyone in the group to be very friendly and allowed each person to have their turn!
    I may have been lucky with the group and questions we had, they change the questions for each interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 menta125

Just noticed this thread now.

Applied to MOP, and got email about a week or two afterward that I didn't even make it to the phone interviews. Absolutely disgusted.

No reasons given, except that there was a high caliber of applicants this year. Completely understandable obviously, but felt entire process was very clinical. Before I even submitted the application, I contacted them with a inquiry and never received an email back.

Even the application was very odd. Some of the questions just didn't seem to have much bearing on a graduate program. So what if you studied abroad, hardly something to rave about?

I dunno...anyway good luck to everyone still waiting on interviews!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

menta125 wrote: »

Even the application was very odd. Some of the questions just didn't seem to have much bearing on a graduate program. So what if you studied abroad, hardly something to rave about?

Actually they like people to have experience abroad. They send a lot of Associates and partners abroad and it was one of the things I was asked about a lot in an interview I had with them before.

Having experience out of Ireland is a great asset to have these days

• Advertisement

Actually they like people to have experience abroad. They send a lot of Associates and partners abroad and it was one of the things I was asked about a lot in an interview I had with them before.

Having experience out of Ireland is a great asset to have these days

Oh yes I'm aware they do, but I don't think it is something that should have much bearing on your success.

I understand why they wanted to know how many languages you could speak, but I personally wouldn't care whether someone had studied abroad.

I don't really think it says much about the person. That's me though, and I suppose those in the profession know better.

Oh yes I'm aware they do, but I don't think it is something that should have much bearing on your success.

I understand why they wanted to know how many languages you could speak, but I personally wouldn't care whether someone had studied abroad.

I don't really think it says much about the person. That's me though, and I suppose those in the profession know better.

It's nothing to do with languages. It's your exposure to and ability to deal with other cultures. Something you'll need to be able to do with MOP where you'll be working with people in other countries a lot.

It's nothing to do with languages. It's your exposure to and ability to deal with other cultures. Something you'll need to be able to do with MOP where you'll be working with people in other countries a lot.

How can that be definitively decided though on the basis of prior study in another country? It just gives the appearance that you are capable of interacting with people from other countries.

I have plenty of international friends, and I have a great interest in the history of other countries. I love to learn about different customs and languages, and yet I'm still deemed to be sheltered from other cultures?

Ireland is diverse enough as it is; you don't need to go abroad to experience other communities.

How can that be definitively decided though on the basis of prior study in another country? It just gives the appearance that you are capable of interacting with people from other countries.

I have plenty of international friends, and I have a great interest in the history of other countries. I love to learn about different customs and languages, and yet I'm still deemed to be sheltered from other cultures?

Ireland is diverse enough as it is; you don't need to go abroad to experience other communities.

many people made it through to the phone interview stage without ever studying abroad, myself included, I presume it's just another way for mop to distinguish between the enormous amount of candidates who applied!

It doesn't have to be study but exposure to it. You are never truly exposed until you're actually there. Until you have actually dealt with the native people in all their home customs.

So many people in Ireland are sheltered because they haven't travelled. No matter how diverse you think Ireland is (it's really not compared to so many other places) you can't experience other cultures until you are right in the middle of them

This is going completely off topic btw

many people made it through to the phone interview stage without ever studying abroad, myself included, I presume it's just another way for mop to distinguish between the enormous amount of candidates who applied!

Oh God ha, yea don't worry I don't have a vendetta against those who studied abroad! I know why I didn't get through, and it wasn't because I didn't study abroad. I was just wondering why it was relevant.

I was on at half ten. Mine was not too bad to be honest, very laid back and nothing too current actually! My best advice is to try and be relaxed and enjoy the experience (if at all possible)! We had two quite lighthearted questions and the interviewers were very friendly.
    I found everyone in the group to be very friendly and allowed each person to have their turn!
    I may have been lucky with the group and questions we had, they change the questions for each interview.

Thank you!
    I've been up the walls lately and I just haven't had time to really catch up on anything so I'm just going to watch the news and read the paper in the morning.
    I hope they're just broad/random questions that they just throw at us

Maples offers are out!

Heard nothing which I'm a bit gutted about. Really wanted Maples.
    Oh well, looking forward to my pfo - can't wait to see how they phrase it.......

It doesn't have to be study but exposure to it. You are never truly exposed until you're actually there. Until you have actually dealt with the native people in all their home customs.

So many people in Ireland are sheltered because they haven't travelled. No matter how diverse you think Ireland is (it's really not compared to so many other places) you can't experience other cultures until you are right in the middle of them

This is going completely off topic btw

Believe me if I could afford to even travel I would, but I don't have the money, and with my student loans to pay off I probably won't for a very (repeat very ten times) long time.

Yea I know, best to leave it so.

• Advertisement

Wezz99950:
    Once you have a fair idea of what is going on in the world you will be okay, they don't expect you to have specific facts and figures to hand!
    When they came into the room to bring us down they told us what the icebreaker question would be so it was good to have a few minutes to think about the first question you know?
    Best of luck with it, have you heard from anyone else?

has anyone else heard from maples?

im thinkin no news is bad news!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mursarah

Nothing from Maples yet either had actually forgotten about them!!Anybody heard of anything from McCann, Byrne Wallace or Eversheds? Odd that Maples are leaving first round interviews so late when all the other big firms seem to be getting started!Had AC today not too bad but really tough to say as hadnt a clue what they were looking for but everyone was very friendly and I thought the rest of the group performed great....might not be such a good thing!!:confused: Got MOP so delighted with that...not a bad day so far...unless a Maples email comes through soon with bad news!!Part of the process i guess!Congrats to everyone who got offers today!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Any1 heard how many got mops?odd mccanns never got back either when there deadline was a while ago and didnt ask much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JaraCane

Any1 heard how many got mops?odd mccanns never got back either when there deadline was a while ago and didnt ask much!!

Did you get through to Round 2 with Mop TC? I remember you saying at the time that your interview was like mine - Qs fired at you? I didn't survive the firing squad obv!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brumbram6

I didn't survive it either. well, at least I won't be taking more days off and travelling for 2 more interviews to dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭moonbino

Aaah the wait is killing me! Two more days of AC interviews left. Next week seems so far away. I want to know if I made it to the next round. I am usually very patient but my nerves are winning at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭randypriest

has anyone else heard from maples?

im thinkin no news is bad news!

I got an email last night inviting me to an interview in mid-December.

Had AC interview today - I won't be holding my breath. It was a great experience and it being my first group interview, i have learned a lot! First lesson learned - do NOT suddenly become a nodding mute in the interview!

Does anyone know how many they pick from each group? I don't know how they choose as there were some great people in my group, I wouldn't know who to pick

wez99950 wrote: »
    Had AC interview today - I won't be holding my breath. It was a great experience and it being my first group interview, i have learned a lot! First lesson learned - do NOT suddenly become a nodding mute in the interview!

Does anyone know how many they pick from each group? I don't know how they choose as there were some great people in my group, I wouldn't know who to pick

Lol. Nodding mute. Love it. You're funny. Don't give up just yet. Were you able to say anything at all even in response to what someone else said? Remember it's not how much you know but how you work as part of a team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Pudsey1

Hi randypriest

did you get an email confirmation from then when you emailed your application?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

wez99950 wrote: »

There was a group interview advice session held by AC at UCC. At that Jane Babb said that they aim to take 4 per group but that this figure is not set in stone; if there are 6 great candidates they will take all 6! Hope that helps!

Keep the head up, the trainee chatting to us before the group interview said he did not contribute to two of the questions in his year but he still got through! :)

Thanks randy! Poor form that they haven't got in touch with other candidates! Does anyone know how many make it through to the first frys interview? And is it recommended to go to thee drinks receeption?

Thanks randy! Poor form that they haven't got in touch with other candidates! Does anyone know how many make it through to the first frys interview? And is it recommended to go to thee drinks receeption?

pfo from maples!! thats two rejections two days in a row......feeling great about my interview next week now :(

Magically got through, i'd say it was more down to my granny lighting candles! Duno how as I felt like hanging up the phone it was soooo horrendous and the person was really intense and aggressive!!Any1 hear tho how many they interview? They said they'd get back with further details as to time and stuff?

Maples PFO now! How many do Fry's interview? Any1 heard from McCanns, DE, Eversheds?

Magically got through, i'd say it was more down to my granny lighting candles! Duno how as I felt like hanging up the phone it was soooo horrendous and the person was really intense and aggressive!!Any1 hear tho how many they interview? They said they'd get back with further details as to time and stuff?

Maples PFO now! How many do Fry's interview? Any1 heard from McCanns, DE, Eversheds?

i've heard frys interview between 80-100 on the first round. are you goin to go to the drinks reception? think I will.

still no word from McCanns, Dillion Eustace, Eversheds, Hayes or Byrne Wallace....

Dont know if ill be able cos im not in Dub. 80-100 alot. Wonder how many apps they get, how many take on and how many progress to next stage?

Id love if they told us this

Maples seem to be extremely selective dont they

Dont know if ill be able cos im not in Dub. 80-100 alot. Wonder how many apps they get, how many take on and how many progress to next stage?

also my friend who got frys last year said they only took around 12!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

im not in Dub either but goin to stay in a friend's house that night...my interview is on the Tues!

Maples very selective.....I have a very high 2.1, 4 FE1s passed, waitin on two more at the end of this month and good work experience and volunteerin! bit upset i didnt get an interview as the application didnt really ask for anything apart from grades and work experience but what's to be is to be!

congrats to everyone who got an interview:D
    Dont be too disheartened bout Mops! They have 600 applicants a year according to their website! Focus on your Frys interview and network like mad at that drinks evening! Plus u have AC to hear bout yet as well as BW etc. So well done n good luck!

Guys, its very strange as I got no reply from Maples. Should I wait for a day or two for my PFO??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 mursarah

Nothing from Maples yet either:( Didn't get a confirmation when I submitted my application either so not sure if it was even received!

Did anyone get a confirmation??And how are Maples contacting people now?email/phone/letter??

• Advertisement

mursarah wrote: »
    Nothing from Maples yet either:( Didn't get a confirmation when I submitted my application either so not sure if it was even received!

Did anyone get a confirmation??And how are Maples contacting people now?email/phone/letter??

they contacted me via email! didnt get a confirmation at the time I submitted my application.

good luck with ur application:)

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

colonel1 wrote: »
    Dont be too disheartened bout Mops! They have 600 applicants a year according to their website! Focus on your Frys interview and network like mad at that drinks evening! Plus u have AC to hear bout yet as well as BW etc. So well done n good luck!

got thru to the fone interview for mops but obv my fone etiquette isnt the best LOL

yes yes, goin to concentrate on frys now....hopefully it goes well!

wish the rest wud just get back to us, hate the waitin! sooo impatient!:eek:

Lol I knew u got the fon interview which was great. I didn't apply to mops as hate the idea of a fon interview:-)

Frys will go well. How ru on commercial awareness. I'm contemplating the Financial Times without much enthusiasm! I like the colour though;-)

Don't expect anything from McCanns or Dillon E but I will be gutted if I don't get an interview for BW. I just fell in love with those samosas;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 LivinLaVida

Two rejections in a row from MOPS and Maples. I am seriously thinking of doing the New York Bar in July and transferring over to England or Aus. I am so sick of not even getting an interview.:mad:

mursarah wrote: »

Yes me too.... emailed same careers address on website.... and not even an acknowledgment.... do you think a PFO will just be posted out?

irkalein wrote: »
    Guys, its very strange as I got no reply from Maples. Should I wait for a day or two for my PFO??
    hey irkalein. did you follow up with a phone call or email?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 LivinLaVida

Anyone know when FE1 results are out?

Anyone know when FE1 results are out?

nov 25th

Pudsey1 wrote: »
    hey irkalein. did you follow up with a phone call or email?

no, i didn't. will wait for another day or two, it looks like there are a good few ppl who heard nothing from them (more than likely its a PFO anyway:mad:)

Two rejections in a row from MOPS and Maples. I am seriously thinking of doing the New York Bar in July and transferring over to England or Aus. I am so sick of not even getting an interview.:mad:

You are not alone, feeling the same but not sure things are much better in the US/ Uk, they want their own graduates...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭randypriest

Pudsey1 wrote: »
    Hi randypriest

did you get an email confirmation from then when you emailed your application?
    Thanks

I didn't receive a confirmation email, they just got in contract with me to offer an interview. I was beginning to worry that they hadn't received my application.

Advertisement