Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Law Firm Milk Rounds 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LawNerd2011

Same story last year with Maples. They never informed any of the unsuccessful candidates. From what I've heard from other friends the organization of their interviews was all over the shop. Still a few firms to go guys so keep the sprits up. It aint over until the fat lady sings and I haven't seen Mary Byrne anywhere near this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭colonel1

Same story last year with Maples. They never informed any of the unsuccessful candidates. From what I've heard from other friends the organization of their interviews was all over the shop. Still a few firms to go guys so keep the sprits up. It aint over until the fat lady sings and I haven't seen Mary Byrne anywhere near this thread!

What did ByrneWallace do last year regarding unsuccessful candidates?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭sazzyfiz

colonel1 wrote: »

i got a pfo email from them for their summer internship....but not too sure regarding training contracts but presume it would be the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 LawNerd2011

Colonel1, I had a quick scan through my inbox there and didn't receive a pfo e-mail from Byrne Wallace last year. Come to think of it, I think they did a Maples on it and didn't inform any of the unsuccessful candidates. Maybe somebody here might be able to clarify this for me.

i was informed by maples last night that I wasnt successful!

• Advertisement

Colonel1, I had a quick scan through my inbox there and didn't receive a pfo e-mail from Byrne Wallace last year. Come to think of it, I think they did a Maples on it and didn't inform any of the unsuccessful candidates. Maybe somebody here might be able to clarify this for me.

That is what I suspected LawNerd:-( I emailed them last week but heard nothing back. Ah well, have to be patient I guess.

sazzyfiz wrote: »
    i was informed by maples last night that I wasnt successful!

That is a pity sazzy, but fingers crossed for your Frys interview and AC of course:D When is your Frys interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭cornerforward13

Hi,

I'm after getting an interview with A&L (have many of you got one?) and I'm wondering does anyone know anything about the A&L process? like how many get called for interview and how many positions do they offer? And has anyone any idea of the kind of questions they might ask? Sorry for all the questions but I'm very nervous, this is my 1st interview and I have got pfo's from the others that are out so far... any help/info would be really appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Pudsey1

Got a first round last year... didnt hear back at all that I wasnt through to the next... contacted them re follow-up & left a message... nothing in return...inference from silence....SOUND!

Pudsey1 wrote: »
    Got a first round last year... didnt hear back at all that I wasnt through to the next... contacted them re follow-up & left a message... nothing in return...inference from silence....SOUND!

Thanks for that pudsey. Did they let you know about the first round by email or what? I have sent them another mail just to see. What kind of things did they ask in the first round anyway (I'm just curious). I know that the 2nd round includes a presentation.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that pudsey. Did they let you know about the first round by email or what? I have sent them another mail just to see. What kind of things did they ask in the first round anyway (I'm just curious). I know that the 2nd round includes a presentation.
    They called me to arrange an interview,,,mostly CV based, why I wanted to get into Law,,, did I know anyone in there already,,Nothing out of the ordinary....

They called me to arrange an interview,,,mostly CV based, why I wanted to get into Law,,, did I know anyone in there already,,Nothing out of the ordinary....

Thanks Pudsey. I have never had a law firm interview before, and at this rate may neve have one:eek: Hope, I didn't muck things up by emailing them twice (2 different contact emails) to ask them about first round interviews. Ah well.

Thanks Pudsey. I have never had a law firm interview before, and at this rate may neve have one:eek: Hope, I didn't muck things up by emailing them twice (2 different contact emails) to ask them about first round interviews. Ah well.
    Dont worry about it... You only asked a question! Im sure other ppl query too...good luck with it :D

Dont worry about it... You only asked a question! Im sure other ppl query too...good luck with it :D

lol, thanks Pudsey:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

I applied to four of the firms got a pfo letter from AC 2 weeks ago didnt realise that would be it..that was the only reply I recieved the other three firms just didnt bother it seems!!..was only expecting an interview but to not get anything does leave you wondering..my cv and experience can be strengthened up over the next year but dont see how its going to be enough to make the leap..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 OBSC

Well folks. Frys next week has been my one bit of luck. Anyone interviewed there before? What's it like?

jibber5000 wrote: »
    I applied to four of the firms got a pfo letter from AC 2 weeks ago didnt realise that would be it..that was the only reply I recieved the other three firms just didnt bother it seems!!..was only expecting an interview but to not get anything does leave you wondering..my cv and experience can be strengthened up over the next year but dont see how its going to be enough to make the leap..
    some still havent been heard from...so hang in there... who did you apply to?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brumbram6

jibber5000 wrote: »

feeling down too, what I truly believe has to be strenghtened is connections/network, otherwise it just isn't enough to get this TC...

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭moonbino

Today is the last of the AC group interviews. Let the waiting game begin! Bring on the tension...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 uhoh1

Anybody know anything about the william fry interviews?anyone do them last year?really need some help!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 LadyLily

When I went through this process, I got an interview with a certain firm that has been mentioned on this forum. They told me they would send on interview details, which, they did not bother to. I had to ring up and get my details. Despite the fact that everyone wants a training contract, as a person who has been there and done that, have standards for yourself. I certainly did not go for an interview for a firm that was first, not competent enough to send out notices to people who actually got an interview, but also when I contacted them about it, the HR person was surprisingly rude. I heard similar stories later about this firm. You want to work in a place you will be proud of. You will be a long time training.

Also to imply that connections will get you a TC is very misled and not fair to those of us with training contracts, secured on merit. I recognise this might be believed as a result of frustration with the process, but do not lose hope! Many people do not get interviews or offers their first year in the process. Remember you do not need six interviews or six offers. One is enough, you are only looking for a single contract! Be positive, it is a draining process. And remember, if at first you don't succeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭brumbram6

LadyLily wrote: »
    When I went through this process, I got an interview with a certain firm that has been mentioned on this forum. They told me they would send on interview details, which, they did not bother to. I had to ring up and get my details. Despite the fact that everyone wants a training contract, as a person who has been there and done that, have standards for yourself. I certainly did not go for an interview for a firm that was first, not competent enough to send out notices to people who actually got an interview, but also when I contacted them about it, the HR person was surprisingly rude. I heard similar stories later about this firm. You want to work in a place you will be proud of. You will be a long time training.

Also to imply that connections will get you a TC is very misled and not fair to those of us with training contracts, secured on merit. I recognise this might be believed as a result of frustration with the process, but do not lose hope! Many people do not get interviews or offers their first year in the process. Remember you do not need six interviews or six offers. One is enough, you are only looking for a single contract! Be positive, it is a draining process. And remember, if at first you don't succeed...

thanks, it's actually great to hear positive comments, it does give you hope. bcse to be fair there are many ppl who got recommendations from partners but hopefully there are as many who didn't. Thanks a mill for that LadyLily

LadyLily wrote: »

Lol, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the firm you were referring to was Beauchamps;) And yes if they are rude to people at the interview stage, God knows what they would be like if you ever went to work for them! Life is too short to work in a nasty place.

Well done on getting your TC too and for giving us newbies hope:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 LivinLaVida

Dillon Eustace have been contacting people today about interviews next week..
    Speaking of Beauchamps anybody know if they are taking people on or what?

Dillon Eustace have been contacting people today about interviews next week..
    Speaking of Beauchamps anybody know if they are taking people on or what?

pfo from Dillon Eustace for me:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 26 RizzleKick

The interviews are earlier this year but is it just me or does anybody else think that it seems all over the place??I mean its a waiting game for both interview offers and interview responses at the same time??

Waiting on Maples to confirm or reject...I emailed to find out not sure if it was a wise idea tho!!Any hints on Fry's interview process??:rolleyes:CV based or commercial/news knowledge??

Anybody heard from McCanns??

Oh and congrats to everybody getting interviews!!!:D

pfo from Dillon Eustace for me:rolleyes:

How did you hear colonel? No email from them in my inbox and my southern phone is at home?

Did anyone receive confirmation of their application from DE after they posted it?!

How did you hear colonel? No email from them in my inbox and my southern phone is at home?

I got an email from them this afternoon sazzyfiz, so if you haven't heard then perhaps it is good news for you:-)

I didn't receive any confirmation from them that they received my application (which I hand delivered), but at least they didn't do a Maples;)

ByrneWallace may be letting people know early next week. I would love to get even 1 interview, sigh!

• Advertisement

I got an email from them this afternoon sazzyfiz, so if you haven't heard then perhaps it is good news for you:-)

I didn't receive any confirmation from them that they received my application (which I hand delivered), but at least they didn't do a Maples;)

ByrneWallace may be letting people know early next week. I would love to get even 1 interview, sigh!

still no email.....wish the firms would just contact people at the same time!

did anyone who received an interview with DE get their offer via email or phone?

Colonel hang on there for BW.....think of the Samosas!:D

still no email.....wish the firms would just contact people at the same time!

did anyone who received an interview with DE get their offer via email or phone?

Colonel hang on there for BW.....think of the Samosas!:D

lol I'm hanging on alright afterall someone has to eat the poor old samosas;-)

U will probably hear from DE 2moro. They might have just contacted their reject pile today!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭wez99950

Pfos from DE and Maples. I also burnt my dinner.

Today could have gone better.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭32minutes

FYI
    Pfo from maples. Email this afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 6 OBSC

Ditto on the Maples front.

I really dont understand why the firms just dont send out pfos together....just makes the whole process so much more horrible than it already is!

sorry to hear about the maples pfos....got mine yesterday!

presumin il get my DE one 2m.....ughhh fed up of all of this already!

does anyone have any ideas on what to expect from first round frys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭frustratedTC

Any1 whose been lucky to get an interview with DE, have they emailed or sent letters? they didn't confirm receiving mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JaraCane

Any1 whose been lucky to get an interview with DE, have they emailed or sent letters? they didn't confirm receiving mine!

Had two missed calls from them today and then as I went to call them back I had an email from them offering me an interview.
    They never confirmed receiving my application when I submitted it. Hope this helps!

ill wait for my pfo tomorrow so!

ill wait for my pfo tomorrow so!

or maybe a call to interview! keep the faith! im trying to cling on to a tiny bit of hope which is slowly dying LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JaraCane

or maybe a call to interview! keep the faith! im trying to cling on to a tiny bit of hope which is slowly dying LOL

I agree - Keep the faith one and all! This process is so draining!

• Advertisement

Come on sazzy, at least you were interviewed by AC, MOPS and you have Frys to look forward to. You can't expect to be interviewed by everyone! Remember there are plenty on here, including myself, who haven't been interviewed by anyone! So forget about the firms that sent you a pfo and focus on those that didn't. You never know Frys or Cox could be the one:-) I am deffo going to apply to Frys next time, at least they seem to be giving people a fighting chance by calling them to interview! Plus, Frys...mmmm....what a delicious sounding name;-)

Not meaning to be harsh, just not feeling the love for law right now lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭jibber5000

irkalein wrote: »
    feeling down too, what I truly believe has to be strenghtened is connections/network, otherwise it just isn't enough to get this TC...

Got a maples pfo yesterday..I agree with the networking it seems that
    experience is huge. i never really had the chance as I was always working in jobs at home to put me through college and I could never afford to take on unpaid work.. I just think that even if you got one interview it would really benefit you in what to expect for next year..i think we are just starting from scratch again next year which is not the ideal situation to be in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

Just a small observation on this thread. For those of you who are in your final year of college and distressed at the PFO's coming through your door and feeling that you lack experience, do not be disheartened if this is what you want to do. The reality of those students at Blackhall is that they are not aged 22 and straight out of college. The average age at Blackhall this year is 25/26 and above. For those of you who are 22 and do wish to work in larger firms, this coming year is the time for you to plaster every small firm you can think of seeking poorly paid, and perhaps unpaid, experience. That is what will stand to you when you come around to the milk rounds again next year. Qualifying as a solicitor is an extremely long slog and for the most part, it is those that persevere who make it.

Best of luck to you all anyway.

Sazzy did DE contact u in the end.

Without sounding patronising, i didnt get any interviews in final yr, so dont be fretting, ur still very young. I think in final yr generally its those with connections that get them. Take some time to build up ur cv if ya can, i know how expensive it is tho to work for free. I think law as a career needs to be reassessed really, seems like its reserved for wealthy with the costs it involves and the networking

Yeh got an interview, missed their bloody call tho and need to change time. Does anyone know if they're open to that?

Persistence will be there im out longer than a yr if its any consoloation!Its hard to know what they want tbh

Congrats

Persistence will be there im out longer than a yr if its any consoloation!Its hard to know what they want tbh

Just checked my southern phone....have a voicemail from DE as well and need to change times too...stress!!!

Lol well done sazzyfiz:-) knew you had nowt to worry about;)

How is every1 preparing for the intervoews?

Anyone any idea on what Frys, MOP or DE ask?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

These constant questions "What do they ask you in X, Y, Z interviews" are a bit pointless to be honest. What one person will be asked in an interview does not necessarily mean that another person will be asked the exact same questions!

Take for example someone telling you "I had an interview with X and it was really nice, no hard questions, just like a general chat really". You then have this interview and taking this as gospel go in thinking that it's going to be a friendly chin-wag. However, the interviewers then start to grill you on everything and proceed to pick apart everything you say with a fine tooth comb to grill you some more. You're going to be thrown because the experience is the complete opposite of what you expected. It's completely counter productive going on hearsay of what someone else's experience was perhaps 2 or 3 years ago.

You need to know your CV inside and out. Be prepared to answer any tricky questions that could range from why you picked your University or why you didn't get a high mark in a subject through college etc. Obviously you need to know why you picked law in the first place and why you want to work at the particular firm. Current affairs are also v important so you need to have a clue about what's going on around you! Other questions can be focused on your competencies "Tell me about a time you had a difficult experience and how you overcame it" or "Tell me about a team work experience" "Tell me about a time you demonstrated initiative"...

Every interview you do is a different experience. Some firms prefer to have an informal chat with a potential trainee, whereas others may opt to grill you to see how you perform under pressure. As long as you're on your toes, you'll be able to field off any tricky questions. If you're confident, then you'll be fine. The most important thing is to be likeable, noone wants to work with a total díckhead :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement