Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance in NI vs ROI

• 01-11-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi all,

I recently moved to NI about 7 months ago for work. Since then I've been looking at changing my car to a northern one. I was looking at Mondeo's and the like. I phoned Hughes and got a quote of £1800 for an 04 worth approx £3000.

Then phoned Quinn and got a quote of £1180. I then phoned Quinns Irish number and insurance on the same car back home would be €650!!!!
    I'm 23 with 4 years no claims in my own name and a full licence for just over 1year.

Can anybody explain why its so much more expensive?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

pedro7 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently moved to NI about 7 months ago for work. Since then I've been looking at changing my car to a northern one. I was looking at Mondeo's and the like. I phoned Hughes and got a quote of £1800 for an 04 worth approx £3000.

Then phoned Quinn and got a quote of £1180. I then phoned Quinns Irish number and insurance on the same car back home would be €650!!!!
    I'm 23 with 4 years no claims in my own name and a full licence for just over 1year.

Can anybody explain why its so much more expensive?

You've given limited information. The risk address can be a huge factor.

The other main reason for it is that NI drivers are HIGHLY litigious in comparison to their Southern counterparts when it comes to RTA Collisions.

As such, the risk is greater and the premium matches the risk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

MugMugs wrote: »
    The other main reason for it is that NI drivers are HIGHLY litigious in comparison to their Southern counterparts when it comes to RTA Collisions.

That's hard to believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

As such, the risk is greater and the premium matches the risk.

Any sources to back that up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Insurance in the UK seems outrageous too. Guy I know over there got a quote for an RX8, £3,000. He has probably 6 or 7 years NCB and is late 20's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,686 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Insurance in the UK seems outrageous too. Guy I know over there got a quote for an RX8, £3,000. He has probably 6 or 7 years NCB and is late 20's.

If I quote my car, from my Dad's address in Manchester, it comes in quite a lot higher than I'm paying currently and it's been that way for a good while at this stage.

That shouldn't get in the way of the uninformed myth that we are being totally ripped off for Insurance in Ireland though............

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Car Insurance rates in the UK have soared in the last number of years , there was a time when insurance here was much more expensive than UK but we really seem to have a reversal of that trend.
    My cousin is a solicitor in Northern Ireland and he also says folk there are incredibly litigious when compared to the rest of the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

Its a pain, even on small what I would have imagined would be cheap cars, eg 02 Nissan almera 1.4 petrol. Insurance is still over £1000. Alot of places I've been phoning say that they dont accept an Irish no claims discount. And some say that an EU licence other than a UK licences is loaded more. But an Irish licence is a straight swap for a UK one?!

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

Try www.Axani.co.uk, who IME are currently the most competetive Insurer up North.

I pay less then £400 per year fully comp for a 1.9 TDI with 5 years NCB, Irish Licence and based on about 30K miles a year.

My wife is with them as well, and she only pays £275 fully comp a year for a 1.9 Diesel with 4 years NCB and UK lincence, based on about 10K miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pedro7

DubDani wrote: »
    Try www.Axani.co.uk, who IME are currently the most competetive Insurer up North.

I pay less then £400 per year fully comp for a 1.9 TDI with 5 years NCB, Irish Licence and based on about 30K miles a year.

My wife is with them as well, and she only pays £275 fully comp a year for a 1.9 Diesel with 4 years NCB and UK lincence, based on about 10K miles.

Mate, Thanks so much for that! £900 much more realistic! A new car is back in the picture!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

blastman wrote: »

That's hard to believe.

That's nice. Google pre action protocol, solicitor referral and credit hire and become a believer.

Source is experience in the industry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement