Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which SUV to get?

Options
  • 01-11-2011 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking to get a new SUV and I thought I'd run some options by you guys first to see your thoughts.

Some options on the list currently are:

Landrover Freelander 2
    Opel Antara
    Toyota Rav 4
    Hyundai Santa Fe
    Kia Sportage
    Honda CRV

Currently have the older Freelander TD4 model which I was very happy with - no problems, just looking to get an upgrade at the minute, and I really like the look of the Freelander 2.

Would preferably like to get something around a 2.0 Diesel to keep the tax down... 2.2 max!

Have found a few vehicles on the net which ticked a few boxes however they were 2.0 Petrol - eeek! Would they be very heavy on Petrol (Rav 4, Subaru Forester?)

Also... I hate myself for saying this, but I've seen some Ssangyong Kyrons going pretty cheap - would one of these be worth a bet if service history and background checks all checked out or are they really that horrendous?

Would be looking for 2006 upwards...

Anything obvious I'm missing from my list?

Budget of around 10Kish (dependent on car however, can pay more for the right car)

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Freelander 2's are a great jeep. The only thing that you'll miss is the back door opens up rather than out, but it's a much less rugged place to be in over the Freelander.

Make sure you at least get the "S" spec, the E is very basic.

I can't see you getting a good Freelander 2 for 10 grand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The only thing that you'll miss is the back door opens up rather than out, .

I've crossed loads of SUVs off my list because the door opens out instead of up!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

tk123 wrote: »
    I've crossed loads of SUVs off my list because the door opens out instead of up!! :pac:

Well, the back window also comes down on the door of the Freelander 1, which is handy for people with dogs etc.

It's also handy for Land Rover to make money out of selling regulators :P

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

Two cars not on the original poster's list are
    Suzuki Grand Vitara
    Skoda Yeti
    the latter was reviewed in the Irish Times this Wednesday.
    I have an 07 Suzuki Grand Vitara and it was excellent in the snowy weather last winter but its suspension is rather hard - every bump on the road is reflected back to the occupants rather than absorbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭WestWing

Moyglish wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking to get a new SUV and I thought I'd run some options by you guys first to see your thoughts.

Some options on the list currently are:

Landrover Freelander 2
    Opel Antara
    Toyota Rav 4
    Hyundai Santa Fe
    Kia Sportage
    Honda CRV

Anything obvious I'm missing from my list?

Budget of around 10Kish (dependent on car however, can pay more for the right car)

Thanks guys!

You left out the best of the bunch, the XTrail. Handles well, good interior, reliable, excellent storage, etc...

The 2.0 diesel engine (T31 model) is a beaut the 4wd system in the XTrail outperforms all of the competition, Freelander included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

This maybe?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/CR-V/2.2-i-CT/201142205120438/advert?channel=CARS

Always liked them and it's a diesel.

Nissan X-Trail also except the interior is crap in them.

Advertisement