If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Setup - [TV, 5.1 system + speakers]

Options
  • 01-11-2011 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

My Dad has asked me to sort out his living room in his new house.

Budget is quite small though, probably sub €1000 (Is it even do-able on that kind of budget?)

Open boxes or ex-display suggestions welcome (although i see i've missed out on the most recent batch)

He is going to need:

TV
    • Full HD
    • 40-50"
    • Not 3d (or at least isnt a requirement)
    • Saorview not essential
    • not a smart TV
    He possibly would need a a basic wall bracket to match

Surround sound system
    You'll have to help me here as i know nothing about this!
    The only requirement I would have is that it has a minimum of 3 HDMI inputs (4 would be better though).
    Speakers will be going in the corners of the room and will need to be wall mounted (need the mounts I guess)
    Room isnt that big so it doesnt need to be anything too meaty.

I'd appreciate any advice you'd have on the subject.

Cheers

EDIT: Hmm just doing a bit of looking around there on other threads and such and looks like there should be something for us.

I'll add one more thing to the wish list so, an All in one remote (ala Logitech harmony). The house will be full of technophobes, telling somebody to change the channel on the tv then on the reciever would probably blow some minds :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Ashley

Hi Witnessmenow

I can put a few suggestions TV wise you way from the Philips camp

All of these TV's are 1080p Full HD models, all have Saorview built in, none are 3D ready or are Smart TV's.

So here we go...

First up ,the Philips 40PFL5606H
    This is a 40" LED Edge-Lit LCD TV and features -
    100Hz Perfect Motion Rate processing
    500,000:1 Contrast ratio
    2ms Panel response time
    Pixel Plus HD Image Processing engine
    A good range of inputs inc' 3x HDMI, 1x SACRT, USB, VGA & Component etc
    "A" rated for energy efficiency

Have a look here for full spec sheet

This is a lovely TV and is very slim in form as well
    This can be yours for €749.99

Pitched below the 5 series range you'll find our new 4 Series models
    These are standard LCD TV's but share a lot of similarity spec wise with the 5 series but come with better motion processing in place of LED back lighting.

This range is available in 42 and 47" Screen sizes and are called the 42PFL4606H and 47PFL4606H

These are regular LCD TV's and features -
    400Hz Perfect Motion Rate processing
    100,000:1 Contrast ratio
    2ms Panel response time
    Pixel Plus HD Image Processing engine
    same connectivity - 3x HDMI, 1x SACRT, USB, VGA & Component etc
    "C" Rated energy efficinecy

Have a look here for full spec sheet on the 42PFL4606H Priced in store at €649.99
    And here for the 47PFL4606H spec sheet -priced at only €729.99

These are well worth looking at and shouldnt be dismissed since they arent LED lit TV's - they are actuall very good TV's and come in at a much lower price as you can see.

We actually have all 3 side by side so you can see them inaction together.

I'll pm you Special Boardies Prices to tempt you even further....

This should leave a little money in the kitty for the lads in RSB to help you with a 5.1 system

Cheers
    Ash

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.