Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi Extender in Limerick

• 01-11-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Apologies if this isn't thread worthy but does anyone know where in Limerick I could find a Wifi Extender/Repeater? I asked in Currys and the guy didn't seem to know of their existence. Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭higster

YearZero wrote: »
    Apologies if this isn't thread worthy but does anyone know where in Limerick I could find a Wifi Extender/Repeater? I asked in Currys and the guy didn't seem to know of their existence. Any help is appreciated.

Saw an accesss point yokey in currys out near parkway but was near €100 I think...hmmmm probably mot what you're looking for. No way you can use cat5e cable or power line bb plugs and use an old router to extend range?

http://www.tested.com/news/how-to-use-an-old-router-to-expand-your-wi-fi-network/298/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Any router can be converted into an extender just disable the routing ability

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

What sioda says :)

Most wifi access points can be used to extend a wifi network

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

someone recently told me i can just plus in a longer aerial into my router......any truth in that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

sioda wrote: »
    Any router can be converted into an extender just disable the routing ability

and how exactly would you go about disabling the routing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Connect the router to a pc via the network cable. Google the ip address for the make of router. Should bring you to a login page password and username are admin usually.

This will allow you access to the router settings in which there should be a way of disabling the routing ability or even a check box to make it into a wireless access point.

Some newer routers often have a physical switch to do this on the outside.

As always google is your best friend when doing this as you are never the first :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Xennon

I think what you mean is to use the router as a wireless bridge to the ethernet ports??...i think what the OP is looking for is a wifi relay?

Something like http://www.netgear.com/home/products/wireless-range-extenders/wireless-range-extenders/wn3000rp.aspx

Ive never used them so cant say what theyre like.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 YearZero

Yeah, basically, big house, thick walls, router in one corner of the house, xbox in the other. I can't realistically run any cables down the hall so my best bet would probably be to either buy a new router and those power line broadband plugs or to get the netgear wifi relay thing posted above. Depending on what is easier and cheaper.

BTW, since this is pretty much gone off the Limerick topic a mod can feel free to move it if need be.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The homeplug would probably be your best option I think. I wouldn't fancy online game over a repeated wireless network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

If thats the case go for the plug, thick walls and wifi make it hard enough on a 'N' router when on XBL

• Advertisement
Advertisement