Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spokes breaking

• 01-11-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

I have a KHS 500 road bike bought new this year and allready have had 5 broken spokes - 4 front and 1 back( 10 euro each pop to replace) ,I would have 1450 kms done on average roads ,nothing too rough.the brand of wheel is mavic which on looking at other posts is supposedly a good wheel.Is this a common fault and should my bike supplier be replacing these spokes at their expense and not mine ??????

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

Would your weight be on the heavier side? Do you unweight the bike when going over bumps/potholes or just plow through? It's unlikely to be a manufacturing defect especially since you've had the spokes replaced several times and your bike shopped hasn't noticed anything wrong when they were doing it.

I ended up breaking spokes every 2nd ride on my first bike, combination of weight and rough riding. I ended up getting my wheel rebuilt with double butted spokes for extra strength and never had a problem after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭dafman

thanks Zil ,no wouldnt be any way near overweight and would be careful with pot holes, bumps etc, on getting spokes eplace recently one of las in shop commented that wheel was not good and that was the problem.Not ideal situation as paid 1000 for bike in first place and would have expected decent enough whells for that ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Holyboy

I was going to post a really long answer but I'll only ramble on if I do, the short one is, yes, you should try to claim a wheel set under warranty, spokes shouldn't break under normal circumstances, try contacting where ever you bought the bike from, if they're no help contact the manufacturer direct, they're usually more willing to remedy things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Hello

Bike got a good review http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/bikes/road/product/review-khs-flite-500-11-41011/

The rim is mavic, but I dont see any mention of the actual wheel being mavic. I would agree with previous post of getting stronger spokes. I had this problem with aluminum spokes, cant beat stainless steel.

I know a guy over 100kg and does not have a problem of breaking spokes, buckling wheel. He told me though its an expensive racer with good quality SS spokes.

As far as I know if you break a spoke then there is a weakness in the wheel and fairly soon you will break another then another as the weakness travels around the wheel

Advertisement