Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless wont work in the next room on Laptop/DEsktop, but works on Ipad

Options
  • 02-11-2011 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭

I have the router set up in the living room. Its a Draytek Vigot 2920 Dual Wan Router.

In the living room Wireless works fine. When I take my laptop into the next room. which I want to set up as an office, the wireless wont work. Nor will it work on my desktop in the office room either. However, from the same position, it works fine on the Ipad

I dont understand why.

I haven't changed any of the default Wirless settings, other than setting up a key

All 3 Antennae are screwed on properly and because the Ipad picks it up clearly the signal is there, right?
    Its set to Mode : Mixed
    Channel 6 2437 MHZ

There are not many conflicting signals, there is one router that shows up as 3-4 Bars from an apartment nearby, and 3-4 that show up as 1-2 bars, but thats it

Its quite frustrating, Im having the phone line installed in the office room so I can use it over LAN anyway, but I dont understand why Wireless wont work and I'd like it to

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭mbiking123

Hello

Go to the room which has the wifi router and turn on laptop and make a connection, then walk with the laptop on into the other room and see if the signal drops. Perhaps the IPad has a better antenna than the laptop, does the IPad show a weak signal ?

If there is a weak signal perhaps the router is faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

As I walk further away from the router the signal strength stays the same on the laptop, but it goes from Internet Connection to the light yellow error saying No internet connection by the time I reach the desk in my office. It still has 4 bars of connection, but internet doesn't work

Hello

Thats a strange one, if you know how drop all the wireless connections set up. then reconnect to your own connection, put in the password which is usually on the flip side of the router and try again.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff802404.aspx will help you - it is for Windows 7 but very similar to XP/Vista etc

I used a tool to scan all the other Wireless networks and mine is the only One on Channel 6 ; all the other networks it found are on channels 1, 10 or 11

What is name, brand etc of the tool you are using

• Advertisement

There is supposed to be a gap of 5 channels between your channel and the next available channel/strongest router. Yours is on 6 so the router on 10 may be causing problems

Also consider the following

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101014192505AAnHCol

http://answers.oreilly.com/topic/1324-why-does-my-ipad-constantly-lose-its-wifi-connection-on-my-home-network-fios-and-not-at-work/

I don’t know your configuration, did you configure any devices to act as a wifi ?
    http://mobileoffice.about.com/od/wifimobileconnectivity/ht/how-to-set-up-a-wi-fi-connection.htm

I would say undo all wifi connections setup and try again, possibly reset the router too and change channel so there is a gap of 5 if possible from next strongest router signal

mbiking123 wrote: »
    What is name, brand etc of the tool you are using

Wireless net view

I cant change the channels for there to be a gap of 5- as I posted, 1, 10, and 11 are all in use

I've reset the router, disconnected devices and reconnected, doesnt help

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

valor wrote: »
    I cant change the channels for there to be a gap of 5- as I posted, 1, 10, and 11 are all in use

I've reset the router, disconnected devices and reconnected, doesnt help

I cant understand that at all... iPad as a wireless device has really crappy antennas compared to laptops etc so it would push me to believe that its Interference, i.e the bigger antennas in the laptops are absorbing more of the noise as they are higher gain... Do you have any thing else that works on 2.4ghz in your house - Sky tv senders, monitors, wireless cameras, etc?

What I would try is remove all the security on your router and try again - Remember to delete the profiles on your laptops! This will reduce the amount of packets being transmitted

Also make sure you have the latest Firmware on the router

Advertisement