Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9K fees at English Unis - will Irish grant authorities pay?

Options
  • 02-11-2011 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭

Asking on behalf of a Leaving Cert student I know who is considering courses in England: with fees in the majority of universities there going up to £9,000 a year for undergraduate courses, will the grant awarding body (now the VEC I believe, used to be the councils) be covering the entire fees for those who qualify to have their fees paid? Will they instead be paying part of it? Is there a cap on how much fees they will pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Sorry to bump this thread, but is there anyone who knows whether the situation has changed now that English universities are going to be charging 9 grand per year in fees? Will Irish authorities pay that much, or only some of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

it seems pretty clear

"Fee grants are available for approved courses below graduate level in Ireland and for approved postgraduate courses in Ireland and Northern Ireland. However, there are no fee grants for courses in other EU states."

source : http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html#lc4259

so
    a) your friend is doing undergrad so only fees in Ireland(26 counties) are covered (not England or anywhere else - just "Ireland")
    b) the only fees covered outside Ireland(26 counties) is post grad only and only in northern Ireland, and then only the courses specified in named approved instutitions like Queens.

so for an Undergrad course in England theres no fee grant of any amount it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Not good news, but thanks for letting me know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

In other potentially better news they would be eligible for the tuition fee loan available from the UK authorities so they'd be no better or worse off than a UK home student. Not ideal I know but it's better than having to pay upfront :)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

pow wow wrote: »
    In other potentially better news they would be eligible for the tuition fee loan available from the UK authorities so they'd be no better or worse off than a UK home student. Not ideal I know but it's better than having to pay upfront :)

when i studied in belfast i was not entitled to a uk student loan as i was from roi. i think this is still the case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

kboc wrote: »
    when i studied in belfast i was not entitled to a uk student loan as i was from roi. i think this is still the case.

It's the regular student loan that foreign students aren't entitled to as in your case but the tuition fees loan doesn't have the same restrictions. The tuition fee loan is only available with the last few years since the fees went up from the 1,500 or so they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

So does that mean we have to pay our own fees if we want to study in England?
    Can you get a bank or some other loan to pay for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 elenimelos

This is probably a bit late, but oh well.

If you study in England you're entitled to the same help with tuition fees as a home UK student would get i.e. a tuition fee loan that you don't start paying back until you start earning over a certain amount (around £20,000 I think).

However, you don't get any help with your living costs as far as I know - you'd have to fund that yourself. Living costs are generally much lower in the UK (outside of London) than in Ireland, particularly Dublin.

Advertisement