Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1979 Bypass "Planning Pool"

Options
  • 02-11-2011 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭

Trying to find some definitive dates on the Oireachtas debate led me to this interesting table (for road nerds/historians anyway):

http://www.oireachtas-debates.gov.ie/D/0314/D.0314.197905100021.html

List of planned/wishlist bypasses from 1979. Most got built but some of them are barely a bypass of any description, while some are now parts of major routes

The Ballinasloe, Carrick-on-Shannon and Letterkenny ones coming to mind as being completely built along; with Lifford and New Ross's ones being pathetic attempts to avoid building a new bridge (come to think of it, so was Carrick on Shannon's)

Shows how far we've come that we could build hundreds of km of motorway in a few years, albeit some of the planning dating back decades, when a 1979 planned list includes such recent completions as the Castleisland Bypass!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,369 ✭✭✭✭Victor

MYOB wrote: »
    Most got built
    I think all got built except Birdhill and Thurles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I didn't think there was a bypass in Carrick on Shannon.

While the QB was built in Galway it's going directly through existing residential & business areas so I object to the term bypass being applied to it (800 yards from Eyre Square).

Its wasn't really an urban area when it was built in 1988(?). There was very little outside the ring road, except between the two arms of hte N59

Several of them are more throughpass than bypass (a distinction that would have been lost ont eh Ireland of 1979), e.g. Carrick -on-Shannon: http://maps.google.ie/maps?saddr=Dublin+Rd%2FN4&daddr=Dublin+Rd%2FN4&hl=en&ll=53.946716,-8.089113&spn=0.011896,0.038581&sll=53.943581,-8.095486&sspn=0.00075,0.002411&geocode=FeccNwMdWXqE_w%3BFe4nNwMdMLWE_w&vpsrc=6&mra=dme&mrsp=0&sz=19&t=m&z=15

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Victor wrote: »
    Its wasn't really an urban area when it was built in 1988(?). There was very little outside the ring road, except between the two arms of the N59

There was a lot of pre-existing stuff there before the QB was built (84, the 500th anniversary of Galway getting its charter) e.g. Galway Shopping Center, Dunnes, Tirellean etc on the East of the River, Corrib Park et Al., Shantalla & Rahoon Flats on the west of the River. Most of that stuff is around from the 70s or earlier (before my time so i can't tell you exactly when).

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tharlear

There was a lot of pre-existing stuff there before the QB was built (84, the 500th anniversary of Galway getting its charter) e.g. Galway Shopping Center, Dunnes, Tirellean etc on the East of the River, Corrib Park et Al., Shantalla & Rahoon Flats on the west of the River. Most of that stuff is around from the 70s or earlier (before my time so i can't tell you exactly when).

in westside
    corrib, inishannagh, laurel, cherry,greenfields,clifton, rochfield, and cruachan were all build before the bridge, many of the above were completed in the seventies .
    in knocknacarragh
    Clybaun heights, knocknacarragh park were build before the bridge.
    Many other smaller estates in knockcarragh were being built in that period before the bridge was built.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

antoobrien wrote: »
    I didn't think there was a bypass in Carrick on Shannon.

While the QB was built in Galway it's going directly through existing residential & business areas so I object to the term bypass being applied to it (800 yards from Eyre Square).

Back this up the QB and associated roads were constructed to an utterly incompetent design for the location and route. It was if they tried to pretend the city wasn't really there and run an interurban dual carriageway through the space it happened to occupy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,545 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its not even dual carriageway at the bridge. The DC east of that is much later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Victor wrote: »
    I think all got built except Birdhill and Thurles.
    Isn't Birdhill pretty thoroughly bypassed by the M7?

spacetweek wrote: »
    Isn't Birdhill pretty thoroughly bypassed by the M7?

Oh sure, but there was no specific Birdhill Bypass and I doubt the M7 is what was envisaged in 1979.

Advertisement