Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband Speed Difference

• 02-11-2011 1:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Presently I'm using Eircom for my phone and 8mb broadband. I'm happy enough with the speed and reliability. However, UPC are offering 25mb broadband and phone for €40. Eircom gives me €18 discount on their broadband/phone package which brings it now to €44. So financially there's not much difference.

The only real advantage to me with the UPC package is the broadband speed. So, could anyone give me their experience of the change from 8mb to 25mb speed, please? Is it worth going through the messing about involved in changing providers just to get the 25mb speed? 8mb to 25mb speed seems like a great difference, but is it really significant?

Many thanks. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Thanks. I suppose what puts me off is the possibility of disturbance with re-wiring, new modem, etc., and the fear that things might not work as well as previously.

With phone and broadband would that simply require one box inside the house? Would my two computers then just pick up the broadband wirelessly from that box?

If there was anything 'negative' that you might say about the change, what might that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭MakeNine

They will drill a hole through your wall to pass the cable to which the wifi modem is connected. The phone will be connected to the modem instead of your usual phone line. You'll be able to use the internet wirelessly with several computers/smartphones etc.

I guess the speed difference depends on how you use the internet, you'll notice the speed increase when downloading large files, and loading data intensive websites will be quicker, but if you don't use your computer that much and aren't a hardcore gamer you might not really need it.

One thing you might want to look into are the call rates for UPC, i'm not sure how they compare, but you won't be paying any line rental.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Gravale

Thanks for that, MakeNine. You've made things clearer for me. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

UPC offer decent call bundles, one of note called "Freetime World" for €13 inc. their much lower-priced line rental.

You get free calls to a decent few countries worldwide:
    http://support.upc.ie/app/answers/detail/a_id/117/kw/117

I don't know how that compares to Eircom's offerings, and how their other tariffs compare also.

If I was able to get UPC I'd have been there years ago, but unfortunately UPC has no love for Tralee (but really, who does?). As soon as I move back closer to home, possibly to Limerick City, I'm there - purely for their broadband speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

I went from 8mb(supposedly) Vodafone to 20mb UPC and then 25mb....to be honest for what I use it for I don't notice the difference in speed in all 3 .....other than the fact that UPC never drops off while Vodafone was no end of problems

• Advertisement
Advertisement