Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disabling internet explorer .

• 02-11-2011 1:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭

Sorry if this was asked already but I couldnt see it .
    Anyway , I have firefox set as my default browser but occasionally , like when on paddy power poker , some links open with internet explorer . Like if i go to the accounts page for instance . I want to use firefox , all the time for internet . How can I stop Internet exeplorer (8) from opening links on paddy power poker ? Can it be safely uninstalled ?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

teddyhead wrote: »
    Sorry if this was asked already but I couldnt see it .
    Anyway , I have firefox set as my default browser but occasionally , like when on paddy power poker , some links open with internet explorer . Like if i go to the accounts page for instance . I want to use firefox , all the time for internet . How can I stop Internet exeplorer (8) from opening links on paddy power poker ? Can it be safely uninstalled ?

Start Menu>Default programs>Set default programs>choose Firefox and grant it all defaults

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

Thanks I tried that. Explorer is still opening some particular links for some weird reason , but they are so few , its not a big deal . Its just a bit annoying as I cant figure out why . I noticed in the 'set default programs ' section , when you look at the settings for 'internet explorer' there are three boxes which are 'greyed out' and seem un changeable .
    Cheers anyway.

Thanks I tried that. Explorer is still opening some particular links for some weird reason , but they are so few , its not a big deal . Its just a bit annoying as I cant figure out why . I noticed in the 'set default programs ' section , when you look at the settings for 'internet explorer' there are three boxes which are 'greyed out' and seem un changeable .
    Cheers anyway.

Not sure but go into Internet Explorer>Tools>Options and uncheck always check if IE is default browser in Programs, then try the default programs route, It is plausible that the software is hardcoded to open pages in Internet Explorer, so theres no way around it

Nick

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Assuming you're using Windows 7:

Start -> Control Panel -> Programs -> Turn Windows Features On/Off

From there just untick IE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

I managed to turn off IE . The links then failed to open at all . I think it is probably just got to do with PPs poker software. The regular site works fine with firefox but when playing poker, the 'links' about offers and promotions only seem to work with IE . I guess its no big deal really , I just dislike IE a lot:mad: .
    I'll get over it I guess.
    Cheers for the assistance .

• Advertisement

I managed to turn off IE . The links then failed to open at all . I think it is probably just got to do with PPs poker software. The regular site works fine with firefox but when playing poker, the 'links' about offers and promotions only seem to work with IE . I guess its no big deal really , I just dislike IE a lot:mad: .
    I'll get over it I guess.
    Cheers for the assistance .

Yeah as I said its probably hard coded to opening links in ieexplorer.exe, lazy sloppy programming but its quite common unfortunately... Some POS software decided to open a link in Chrome, while my default is Firefox, don't understand that one. Only have that Chrome crap installed for testing website stuff I do :P

Nick

Advertisement