Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Censorship of ULSU discussions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Jester252 wrote: »
    Not the best at all I was at the one in the Lodge not very well set up TBH. The old style was better then the new style because not everyone can drop what they are doing to spend the night a mystery location with less then a week notice. More Reps would be able to attend a know format of the 1 hour every two week at the same spot.
    I just wanted to point that out I know it was off topic

Indeed, I agree entirely...

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PROGRAM_IX

It's not just the training anymore! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

sceptre wrote: »
    You guys realise that if your rep is useless and won't raise stuff at meetings, there's a recall procedure in place where you can elect one that isn't wasting valuable sitting space?

Last I remember, the recall procedure was quite difficult to implement for larger courses (anything over about 50 really). For something like the business course it would be near on impossible to remove a rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Polar Ice wrote: »
    Last I remember, the recall procedure was quite difficult to implement for larger courses (anything over about 50 really). For something like the business course it would be near on impossible to remove a rep.
    It probably would. But happily, the larger courses (especially business) get multiple reps. A class that of its own free will elects an entire swarm of nothing but useless reps deserves nothing better. The recall procedure is most useful for smaller classes, who only have one to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I never personally abused any of those wallies but I was banned for a week.

Ah here we go...it really doesn't take long for the **** to rise to the top of the pile.

Ladies and Gentlemen here we have a person who has had running arguments against MrsStuffings on another forum but who was well willing to support them here when he/she agreed with their agenda.

There be epic trolling afoot here and people should not fall for it. The sum total of Sid_Justices contribution to this forum has been to try bash Derek Daly with childish "Derek Davis" typos and swipes about dodgy accounting when he has pretty much zero evidence other than what he's made up in his own mind.

Also as an aside he took a swipe at Dermot Shinners Kennedy...not on in my opinion. One of the finest, helpful and insightful lecturers I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with during my time in UL.

So Sid_Justice...what is your real agenda here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 DegenerateNo1

It probably would. But happily, the larger courses (especially business) get multiple reps. A class that of its own free will elects an entire swarm of nothing but useless reps deserves nothing better. The recall procedure is most useful for smaller classes, who only have one to begin with.

For the business major's rep's aren't elected it's just individuals who take it upon themselves to become a rep to put it on their CV. There wasn't a marketing rep in place this year until week 5 despite numerous calls for one. The class rep has an important role to liase with the SU and even lecturers about the issues pertaining to that class. Yet year after year especially in the business course there are as you put "useless reps" and the reason they are not recalled is because the whole business course doesn't know or isn't informed of the role of the class rep apart from someone who order's hoodies and organising a piss up in the stables. The SU should be doing more to inform students more about class rep roles. As far as i know class reps have to undertake training and that's great but big classes in particular are not informed adequately each year about the role of class reps and this needs to change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 John_Smith123

rmacm wrote: »
    Also as an aside he took a swipe at Dermot Shinners Kennedy...not on in my opinion. One of the finest, helpful and insightful lecturers I have ever had the pleasure of dealing with during my time in UL.

While I agree with the rest of your post, this is not true. I could of course be wrong here, but if Sid did not know this man (I certainly don't know him) and read the article, he had every right to question his authority on the matter.

His next post contained "Sorry I apologise to DSK if I insulted him" and he wasn't mentioned by Sid again.

So maybe he's not the only one on the forum who can be a bit one sided?

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭pajunior

Ah here we go...it really doesn't take long for the **** to rise to the top of the pile.

Ladies and Gentlemen here we have a person who has had running arguments against MrsStuffings on another forum but who was well willing to support them here when he/she agreed with their agenda.

There be epic trolling afoot here and people should not fall for it. The sum total of Sid_Justices contribution to this forum has been to try bash Derek Daly with childish "Derek Davis" typos and swipes about dodgy accounting when he has pretty much zero evidence other than what he's made up in his own mind.

That's blasphemy :eek: :eek:

The man is easily one of the best lecturers in CSIS. I wish I had him past 1st year.

Then again he is a Munster fan so . . . . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PROGRAM_IX

While I agree with the rest of your post, this is not true. I could of course be wrong here, but if Sid did not know this man (I certainly don't know him) and read the article, he had every right to question his authority on the matter.

His next post contained "Sorry I apologise to DSK if I insulted him" and he wasn't mentioned by Sid again.

So maybe he's not the only one on the forum who can be a bit one sided?

He did apologise, yes. But he mentioned Dermot again at least once. There was this, using Dermot to discount the article:
    Instead [of asking the Medical School or HSE] you've asked a mickey mouse programming lecturer, hearsay from a 'staff forum', and the bloody su president. What does he know about anything?

Funnily enough, it came after this post, which I think pointed out that Dermot was an appropriate source in the article:
    Dermot Shinners-Kennedy is a former member of UL's Governing Authority and has also been a member of the board of directors of UL Alumni Association. I'd say that's a perfectly legitimate platform for making perfectly legitimate enquiries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ULChieftain

Isn't trolling against the rules?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Isn't trolling against the rules?
    He is calling him out not trolling

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

He is calling him out not trolling

With all due respect that is a matter of opinion ;-)

As regards class reps, the new structure currently in place has class reps completely reduced to individuals who order hoodies and organize parties. That is essentially they're entire purpose. It is the faculty councilors that will take up the role of representation and addressing issues.

Edit: I do believe they will meet once a month with their faculty councilors, but ultimately representation is charged to the faculty councilors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Excuse me?

thanks for stalking me btw. I attack the post not the poster, if mrsstuffings says something disagreeable i disagree if she says something i agree with i agree. I don't bring petty personal issues into threads. perhaps you should take a leaf out of my book boyo.
    swipes about dodgy accounting when he has pretty much zero evidence other than what he's made up in his own mind.

Eh did you read about the massive sums of money taken from the C&s account? there is no other worse for this other than creative accounting.

Facts : DSK not a phd, not a senior lecturer, not an important voice. Head of alumni? sure may as well act the mod of here for opinion if they wanted an insignificant fossils opinion .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Facts : DSK not a phd, not a senior lecturer, not an important voice. Head of alumni? sure may as well act the mod of here for opinion if they wanted an insignificant fossils opinion .
    How does having a phd makes your voice more important.
    I assume you don't have a phd but your voice is the smartest voice here.
    Can you explain this

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I assume you don't have a phd but your voice is the loudest voice here.
    Can you explain this

Post fixed. :pac:

Under the old system, business (LM050) only had reps 4 per year (what made it by far the most underrepresented course at CRC - but that's a separate issue.)

Because of the way the nominations worked to become a rep, it was very easy in business for someone to quickly get their form filled out and become a rep (i.e. the person who got their form in before the first round) then, if an election occurred (which was a logistical nightmare for business) it would usually only be for the remaining spots in subsequent rounds.
    As regards class reps, the new structure currently in place has class reps completely reduced to individuals who order hoodies and organize parties.
    Which is what a large percentage of them did in the first place, neglecting their actual duties.
    That is essentially they're entire purpose. It is the faculty councilors that will take up the role of representation and addressing issues.

Edit: I do believe they will meet once a month with their faculty councilors, but ultimately representation is charged to the faculty councilors.
    Do you know if those positions have been filled yet? (The new departmental reps, not the faculty officers)

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

I believe 3 councilor positions were filled in the last set of elections and as far as I am aware there won't be an attempt for the faculty/department until next semester.

Are the faculty councilors just a new term for the faculty officers (there are 4 of them, one for each faculty)?

I assume you don't have a phd but your voice is the smartest voice here.
    Can you explain this

this is supposed to be a university. do you think there people who lecture in oxford who don't have at least a phd?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Nockz

this is supposed to be a university. do you think there people who lecture in oxford who don't have at least a phd?
    Lol. You're a joke character right?

• Advertisement

lol are you?

This post is surprisingly on topic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRUczpDcVQM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

This is worse than your comparison of a student paper to world-class newspapers.

An article is an article. It's either **** or it isn't. It doesn't matter if its written by a 21 year old or a 40 year old.

It's an absolute joke that people with no academic qualifications hold positions in universities as lecturers. Tutors is fine, advisors is fine, but for a faculty member to have nothing but a B.Sc is fairly scandalous in my opinion. You would not get it in TCD, you would not get it in QUB why should we get it in ul? because ul is some second rate pseudo university business and it teaching college? fair enough so.

An article is an article. It's either **** or it isn't. It doesn't matter if its written by a 21 year old or a 40 year old.

It's an absolute joke that people with no academic qualifications hold positions in universities as lecturers. Tutors is fine, advisors is fine, but for a faculty member to have nothing but a B.Sc is fairly scandalous in my opinion. You would not get it in TCD, you would not get it in QUB why should we get it in ul? because ul is some second rate pseudo university business and it teaching college? fair enough so.
    Dermot is a fantastic lecturer and no piece of paper is even necessary to prove that.

Just let it all out Sid. Together we can find out what's hurting you. I believe in you.

Get over yourself.

The lecturer you're referring to is clearly well-liked and respected because of how effective he is at his job, numerous posters have defended him.

You can have all the qualifications in the world and still be a piss-poor lecturer.

You fail to take into account the history of UL (or lack of it). The place has been in existence a wet week in comparison to most other Uni's around. The Psych Dept (my own subject) has been around about 6 years now. It takes time to establish the place and build a reputation.

Name me any other University on the planet which has been in existence for 30 years and has Phd carrying lecturers in every subject.

DCU

DCU
    Why didn't they take you in?

Would you stop being so bloody childish. I graduated from DCU a few years ago. Perfectly reasonable college, very similar to UL.

• Advertisement

DCU

Really? There's a few in the Business School, for example, that don't seem to have Phds.

Take Mr. Anthony Foley as one. He's a senior lecturer. But what's this? No Phd??? :eek:

Advertisement