Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Digital My Passport USB2.0 500GB

• 02-11-2011 2:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

I usually try to help people here so hopefully I have earned some good Karma.

I have a friends hard drive that is not being recognised by the bios / or any OS - Windows / Linux / Mac.

The drive was bought to free up space on a laptop so the data was the only copy (No lectures its not mine I know too well about keeping backups)

It seems to be the pcb that has died and I am looking for anyone who can help me out here.

I could buy another identical drive and try the pcb but they are expensive drives and apparently prone to failures, and I'm not even sure if this will work, I could get a larger capacity USB 3 for less.

What I am looking for is either anybody who has experience in recovering from these drives or someone that would give me a loan of an identical drive to see if I can retrieve anything (Encrypted or not). I am based in Waterford and would replace any loaned drive if it encountered issues.

The drive model number is WDBAAA5000ARD - 00 The RD is just the colour so that could be BK / WT etc.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Hearny.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Give us a bit more information,what have you tried?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

There is not much I can try to be honest its not being recognised by any computer I connected it to let alone any recovery programs.

I took the enclosure apart but it doesn't have a SATA connection, it has a micro usb connection on the hard dive board similar to this image http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3612/3374577879_a0f3c1626c.jpg?v=0 and its not an adapter on a SATA drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

hearny wrote: »
    There is not much I can try to be honest its not being recognised by any computer I connected it to let alone any recovery programs.

I took the enclosure apart but it doesn't have a SATA connection, it has a micro usb connection on the hard dive board similar to this image http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3612/3374577879_a0f3c1626c.jpg?v=0 and its not an adapter on a SATA drive.

Have you tried another MicroUSB cable? I had a WD Passport 500gb that stopped working, I was about to RMA it but tried another cable and it worked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Yes I have tried another USB cable sorry I thought I had mentioned that. Also tested the cable on another device.

Advertisement