Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

Stev_o wrote: »
    no char should be able to solo Rosh after 6 mins it's just silly.

That I do agree on. Simple fix really just make it that the damage stack doesnt work on Rosh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ursa is not a top tier hero (rated as bottom/4th tier, sometimes they don't even other putting him in the bottom tier lol as everybody shuts him dwn completely). He is good in public, realllllly good. A team has used him well once or twice. I think he is underrated myself but still not broken or anything.
    I can't imagine him being used well against navi etc, just he was underestimated as a surprise pick. And when he lanes with shackles it is imba. heh.
    I LOVED the game where he owned.

Lane a Venomancer up against him. Shut him down. Ward Roshan. Steal it from him. All Ursa lacks is mobility. If its Captains Mode then ban Dark Seer cause their synergy is crazy. Make ghost scepter, eul's, force staff... quite easy if u think about it. He jungles badly, he lanes badly if you pick against him. He needs a stun/slower with him.

2 heroes can rosh at level one so you can't take that from him, it's all he has! each hero has it's advantages and that is one of his best. Ever use warlock with blademail and fatal bonds? Ursa kills his own team mates :D

As for being like pudge... hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Im well aware how he can be shut down but this damage output isn't right, no char should be able to solo Rosh after 6 mins it's just silly.

You can counter that with this OP item called wards. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    You can counter that with this OP item called wards. :pac:

It is pretty much a free kill if you catch him there as well, I love playing as Mirana, and when you see him head in, **** in a long range arrow xD

and 99% of pub Ursa's won't smoke when they try to get him that early

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

holy mother of sweet jesus christ, i finally got an invite just there. Damn, i was just getting into Rift and my HoN account gets unbanned today :(:(:(

• Advertisement

TBH your not missing much with rift :pac::pac:

Found a video which explains the functions ( other than warding and chic ) of supports if anybody cares to watch ( That means you Tar :pac: )

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Where's my BETA INVIIIITE?! :mad:

Oh and Dreddy I watched some of your vid's from your streams !

Do you play anything other that magina :p :pac::pac:

GO_Bear wrote: »
    Oh and Dreddy I watched some of your vid's from your streams !

Do you play anything other that magina :p :pac::pac:

Lol yeah man, I play a bunch of heroes, AM and Lich are my most-played though. :pac: Been playing Furion a fair bit recently, hero is too unfair for words.

edit: Just realised I had my mic input set to the wrong mic for my last few days of streams so it sounds like crap, whoops.

Still no laptop, the amount of Tournament games an such I have watched in the last few weeks has been upsetting :O

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

TBH your not missing much with rift :pac::pac:

Found a video which explains the functions ( other than warding and chic ) of supports if anybody cares to watch ( That means you Tar :pac: )

Didn't watch as one phone but from the picture you want us to start trilaning?? usually I just babysit some void /am or roam to stop their carry. But am bad. Will watch later. Gimme a break in only learned to ward a month ago :p

Didn't watch as one phone but from the picture you want us to start trilaning?? usually I just babysit some void /am or roam to stop their carry. But am bad. Will watch later. Gimme a break in only learned to ward a month ago :p

Well it explains things that are useful in a dual lane, if say for example the carry has free farm in the safe lane, these are ways for the support to get money and exp without leeching it from the carry,

Goes over the Dire's 3 pull spots as well and the radiant two camp pull and shiz

Yeah it's more of a video on how to support in a dual or trilane than a trilane video specifically. Purge's videos are all great, watched his Tidehunter play video last night, great example of how to play support, let your carry do his thing, not be greedy etc.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Might not be called DOTA2 for long.
    Blizzard and Valve go to War Over DOTA Name
    Blizzard once made a game called WarCraft III. Then someone made an awesome mod for it called DOTA. Then Valve decided to make a game called DOTA 2. Then Blizzard decided to make something called Blizzard DOTA.

And now Blizzard is fighting a legal battle with Valve over the whole thing. What a mess.
    Two of the most successful and popular PC developers of all time are squaring off in court over the use of the term DOTA, which stands for Defence of the Ancients.

In 2010, Valve - who is working on a successor to the original called DOTA 2 - began attempts to trademark the word "DOTA", despite the fact it had no historical connection to the property or the genre. At the time, Blizzard said some unkind things publicly about the move, but didn't seem to take things any further.

It has now.

Arguing before the US Patent and Trademark Office's Trial and Appeal Board in an attempt to have Valve's trademark application blocked, Blizzard says that, because the term DOTA has been used by the company's games and fans for seven years, "the DOTA mark has become firmly associated in the mind of consumers with Blizzard".

Valve, on the other hand, well...here's what Blizzard has to say about Valve's upcoming DOTA 2:

In contrast to Blizzard, Applicant Valve Corporation ("Valve") has never used the mark DOTA in connection with any product or service that currently is available to the public. By attempting to register the mark DOTA, Valve seeks to appropriate the more than seven years of goodwill that Blizzard has developed in the mark DOTA and in
    its Warcraft III computer game and take for itself a name that has come to signify the product of years of time and energy expended by Blizzard and by fans of Warcraft III. Valve has no right to the registration it seeks. If such registration is issued, it not only will damage Blizzard, but also the legions of Blizzard fans that have worked for years
    with Blizzard and its products, including by causing consumers to falsely believe that Valve's products are affiliated, sponsored or endorsed by Blizzard and are related or connected to Warcraft III.

Getting into the fine print, Blizzard says that, because the original DOTA required WarCraft III to play - and because it's been using and licensing the term to other companies - that while it doesn't have a trademark on the term, it's got a better case for one than Valve.

In a filing dated November 16, 2011, Blizzard wrote that it "respectfully requests that this Opposition be granted" to Valve's attempts to trademark DOTA (and "Defense of the Ancients", and "DotA", and "Dota").

http://kotaku.com/5883938/blizzard-and-valve-go-to-war-over-dota-name

no update again :/

valve could still use dota 2, this is just a protest so that they can't copyright it, so everybody can use it I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Aren't both games leaning towards F2P anyway? I could only see Dota2 heading down the route of pay to use hats and maybe some skins? The whole LoL Champ method wouldn't work at all it would break the game for those not willing to pay.

But yeah Valve don't have much to go on.

Aren't both games leaning towards F2P anyway? I could only see Dota2 heading down the route of pay to use hats and maybe some skins? The whole LoL Champ method wouldn't work at all it would break the game for those not willing to pay.

I seriously doubt it will be F2P, any things you can buy will be just cosmetic, I reckon however, it would be useful for new players if a MM mode was created with a limited hero pool that is rotated weekly. So new players can learn heroes a few at a time without having to deal with the tons of heroes they don't know, i think this would also would inadvertently result in better quality in the normal MM pool ( that is at the low end, as players would jump over when they feel comfortable with all/most the heroes) [all of this optional by the way]

I seriously doubt it will be F2P, any things you can buy will be just cosmetic, I reckon however, it would be useful for new players if a MM mode was created with a limited hero pool that is rotated weekly. So new players can learn heroes a few at a time without having to deal with the tons of heroes they don't know, i think this would also would inadvertently result in better quality in the normal MM pool ( that is at the low end, as players would jump over when they feel comfortable with all/most the heroes) [all of this optional by the way]

I don't think the rotating pool would work at all, in fact it would probably kill off any sort of new comers to the genre or indeed Dota 2 based on the fact that if you can't counter pick your done for. It would be a totally nightmare, the fact is counter picking is a very very very very small feature of LoL to the point where it's un noticeable, while it's probably one of the biggest things in Dota 2.

While I understand the point your making, don't make choosing hero's so intimidating, I feel it would hinder teams chances of competing versus another team who have paidfor hero's that need to be counterpicked.

I don't think the rotating pool would work at all, in fact it would probably kill off any sort of new comers to the genre or indeed Dota 2 based on the fact that if you can't counter pick your done for. It would be a totally nightmare, the fact is counter picking is a very very very very small feature of LoL to the point where it's un noticeable, while it's probably one of the biggest things in Dota 2.

While I understand the point your making, don't make choosing hero's so intimidating, I feel it would hinder teams chances of competing versus another team who have paidfor hero's that need to be counterpicked.

Aye but I was saying that it would strictly be an optional form of match making for new players

Aye but I was saying that it would strictly be an optional form of match making for new players

I think more then likely that the "Guardian Angel" feature will be used to suggest new players to new heros. I'd like it if you could press the learn tab and get the list of heros, you click on the hero and see available players who are willing to teach you.

• Advertisement

you click on the hero and see available players who are willing to teach you.

There would be too much room for trolling potential, especially with communities like these ! I know they implemented in HoN a function where players can input ingame guides ( suggested items and what not ) and about 80% of them where troll builds, Elder parasite ( mask of madness ) on Glacius ( Crystal maiden ) and what not, some times they would also be upvoted to the top as well.

But it would be a good idea and I am sure some people would be willing to lend their time too it.

I think DoTA2 has already implemented alot of things to make it easier for new players ( relative to HoN, and DoTA 1 ), like bots ( you could also get them for DoTA 1 but I think if you don't hand it too them, new players won't go looking for them etc ) and most importantly the Watch function, especially "player perspective", the very resourceful new player can use this to watch precisely how the game is played ( on the condition they find a game with good players in it )

The most important thing I think, for it to be assessable, is try and recreate what happened with LoL, I don't think anymore, that Riot actually put much effort into making it easier for newbies, rather the massive influx of new players they got resulted in a much larger quantity of beginners so essentially the lower levels where rampant with players who had never played a MoBA before, making it easier and FUNNER to get into the game.

So I am hoping that the Steam platform, and Valve name gives DoTA a big enough start that enough Brand new players come in for literally games with 8/9/10 new players, rather then in HoN when you got 1 newbie and 9 people with 100 games. While this may not improve their game play much, it would certainly be funner ( and so hopefully they stay ) then getting orally shat on by the rest of the team.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Awesome, installing Dota2 as we speak!

Add meh: suicidalsid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

I know nothing about this game, is it an RTS? More single player or multi player?

One of these days my comp will get finished !

Dan this describes it

fe5A2.png

Yay cherry.

Dan it's like a mixture between fps and rts, you fight 5v5, control one unit each, level up, build items and destroy their base

Yay cherry.

Dan it's like a mixture between fps and rts, you fight 5v5, control one unit each, level up, build items and destroy their base

I'd be more sided that its RTS meets RPG tbh :P

Only see good invokers these days which is quite frustrating. Oh hi there no mana pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Just played my first game after i got invite. Pretty rage inducing hour. I play hon all the time. I played lina for this match.

Things that made me mad:
    - actions felt delayed, couldnt last hit for ****
    - cant see enemies mana
    - couldnt find a key to hold hero on camera center
    - hard to notice anything on the minimap

I'll leave it for a while, but just my initial opinion is that i prefer hons ui, graphics, and little extras such as being able to hover over enemy to see their items. Cant comment on balance or anything obviously.

You played lina, possibly the worst last hitter EVER.
    would like to see mana myself, but having to click them is ok for now, dont mind which way they have it.
    x does that center thing for me, not sure what you have to bind.

minimap has x's, hero names, even hero portraits if you want

SWEET Update today! love obsidian destroyer and Single draft. Wish they had AR and RD though. Also swap

I like their bug fix notes

-Fixed sweet exploit where you could buy a nice juicy passive item, give it to another friendly hero, have that hero die and upon respawn the passive effects of the item would be granted -- Desolator would start desolating, butterfly would start buttering, etc.

• Advertisement

Still no laptop but this update looks sweet !

Single Draft, Obsidian destroyer to counter magina, repicking, I wonder if you can swap ?? Single draft would be better with swapping heroes

- Heroes now flail while getting force staffed. !!!

Advertisement