Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Yussbear

HO HO HO!!! Just got into the beta the other day, never having played DOTA (or any of its clones). Never has another game actually spurred me on to spend time watching matches and trying to learn about it, this game is amazing :D
    Any heads out there looking for a green lad for a few casual games my steam is Diolmhain... or Batman or something :D

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Alot of people will probably be playing DIII for the next while ! ( I won't I can't afford it :x ) but for those who don't know I created a Boards.ie chat channel you can join from the main menu, I see the odd person in it, but its just annoying because you can't easily see if they are in game or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

You're basically the only person I see in there, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I played two games last night. Both because D3 wouldn't connect!
    I got some really early awesome scores in both and then fell apart into a quivering mess and lost...in both:(

This weeks hero was a bit unexpected,

He is a pain to play against when he is on the enemy team and when he is on your team he is always a bigger quota then Furion !

• Advertisement

Old computer keeps blue screening and is ****ed, new one due on the 29th probably won't be on until then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

reinstall windows while you wait so that you can play!

I love treant protector...check out my mad skills saving sven years ago, making him invisible for a half a second when he got hit...lol

I'm excited about this guy! Right up my playstyle street methinks:) Any build tips? i always like an urn!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

he doesnt need much items, deffo a soulring though!

dibkins wrote: »
    I'm excited about this guy! Right up my playstyle street methinks:) Any build tips? i always like an urn!

He is probably even more flexible in his builds then Furion or Tidehunter.

I would build him with an early level in invis ( for obvious reasons, and it also forces the enemy supports to get early dust / sentries ) then max either Aura or Leech seed depending on what you are doing, Playing passively or supporting ? then max aura, its global during the day so will benefit the whole team. But if you wanna have real fun, take one in Aura and max your leech seed, building a soul ring / phase boots and go aggressive.

Q-E-W-E-E-R-E-W-W-W-Q-R-Q-Q-stats-R-etc etc.

Soul ring/Urn -> Phase / Arcane -> Drums / Forcestaff / Blink -> Or literally what ever the hell you want, Radiance + Hearth if you wanna carry, Shivas + Resto if you wanna do double ult + Ice blast. If you build for support / initiator after you drop your ult alot of people will ignore you in the fight ( you are not really considered much of a treat ! ) so for the lulz even a mask of madness at that point can be fun as you hit surprisingly hard ! Huge base damage + Str gain.

You always have to judge it by game, sometimes going the aggressive leech seed build can be better for supporting btw, as with soul ring you can spam it, and it heals ALL allies in range for the damage done ( 300 at max level with 12 second CD, 25 second CD on Soul ring as well)

And you can cast while in your invis .... if your against teams that don't get sentries, you can skip the initiation items xD

• Advertisement

Oh and if your laning against the Tree, get dust early on, he can invis his allies and you would be surprised how hard it makes it to gank a lane with him in it without dust

Is that the original keeper of the forest from HON?

Is that the original keeper of the forest from HON?

He does not have the Tree ward, was replaced with Leech seed, and his Buff , is a passive that effects all units during the day, and units within a 900 radius during the night ( also including buildings ) a bit of a nerf on the buff I reckon as Keeper added a ****ing silly +12 armor while this is +4 ( albeit global passive ). Also his ult is always only 3 seconds as opposed to scaling 3/4/5, it increases in damage with level and the CD decreases, 95 seconds at level 3 I believe while Keepers is 160 at all levels ( afaicr ), Treants invis also gives you a minor speed buff

GO_Bear wrote: »
    He does not have the Tree ward, was replaced with Leech seed, and his Buff , is a passive that effects all units during the day, and units within a 900 radius during the night ( also including buildings ) a bit of a nerf on the buff I reckon as Keeper added a ****ing silly +12 armor while this is +4 ( albeit global passive ). Also his ult is always only 3 seconds as opposed to scaling 3/4/5, it increases in damage with level and the CD decreases, 95 seconds at level 3 I believe while Keepers is 160 at all levels ( afaicr ), Treants invis also gives you a minor speed buff

Wow sounds sick, so ideal to accompany someone like ES, SK etc etc

Wow sounds sick, so ideal to accompany someone like ES, SK etc etc

I am sure he could work fine with most people ! Him and CM, with the two Aura's + a soul ring spamming there spells would make for a pain in the arse lane, especially if you give him the farm and get him a fast radiance. And the invis would make the lane hard to gank without dust.

His invisibility means you have to buy counter wards before pushing any early tower. And supports wont have that kind of money for wards then. That means they have to get wards instead of tankier items, so something like tree having a lycan on his team would be imba, would be a few hits to kill a support. You cant slow push towers either as they repair, he is really cool.

You can also push with him under enemy towers as his damage spell heals allies, that's sick.

I used to play keeper a good bit in hon he is a total pain in the arse if played correctly or in my case semi-correctly! Look forward to giving him a whack in a few weeks :(

Ogre magi has (have?) been added. Looks like fun, though coming from LoL, mana management has never been my strong suit....
    Speaking of which, playing LoL the other day i had the easiest time spamming my spells!

dibkins wrote: »
    Ogre magi has (have?) been added. Looks like fun, though coming from LoL, mana management has never been my strong suit....
    Speaking of which, playing LoL the other day i had the easiest time spamming my spells!

He is alot of fun, and the new change with Aghanaims septre they added to him looks OP. Every time I play him though I never get multi casts, and an Enemy OM will always get quad casts, His Bloodlust ( attack + MS ) buff is fantastic as well, hop that on a carry and +50% attack speed really help out a carry with a **** BAT like Void

I think mana management is the actual hardest thing for LoL players to adjust too.

Dunno how keen I am on the new Hero Selection Card thingy though, I will hop on the test client tonight and give a look, They are asking for feedback on the new Menu system and Hero pick screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

Not a massive fan of the new hero select, suggesting heroes is nice but those cards are not the best. Might make more sense when all the heroes are added and take up a lot of space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

those cards hurt my eyes tbh. i feel like dota is becoming some kids' card games...

i miss dota1 sometimes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Would love to get into this beta , if theres keys about id greatly appreciate being considered :)

card thing? to google!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

CONFIRMED: DOTA 2 FREE TO PLAY

Introducing the Dota Store and Steam Workshop Integration

May 31, 2012 - Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today confirmed that Dota 2 will be free to play and announced the Dota Store in preparation for the game's release.
    Upon its opening, the Dota Store will offer items created by Valve and members of the community that may be used immediately and carried over after the public launch of the game. Early Access to the game is not required to purchase items before launch. However, gamers may get into the game now by purchasing the Dota 2 Early Access Bundle of items.
    "The opening of the Dota Store is a big part of our final push to launch," said IceFrog, design lead on Dota 2. "With support for the Steam Workshop, the majority of the items made available on day one were created and being sold by members of the community. By making the game Free to Play, we hope to give gamers the ability to decide how - and how much - they want to invest in the game."
    Targeted for full release on the PC later this year, Dota 2 promises to take the unique blend of online RTS and RPG action that has made Dota popular with tens of millions of gamers around the world.
    Later this summer Valve will host the International Dota 2 Championships 2012 in Seattle, WA.
    For more information on Valve and its games, please visit www.dota2.com

Good that this will be free to play. I hope the deluge of new items don't upset the nice art style they have going.

You can probably choose to turn em off at some point?

If we get an item now will it be gone on public release?

Need to make something epic so people will buy it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

http://i.imgur.com/TcFH2.png

my best dota 2 game to date :).

You can probably choose to turn em off at some point?

If we get an item now will it be gone on public release?

Need to make something epic so people will buy it :P
    Valve ensure that you keep them turned on. When people found a way to turn them off on servers in TF2 Valve patched that right quick. Its in their best interest for people to see them and want to buy them or keep playing to grind them. Your backpack stays upon release you wont lose anything, said so in the FAQ.

Note: This update won't be pushed to the main Dota 2 client until the Wild Cards qualifiers are done. We expect this to be on Monday. To distract you from this fact, here are three heroes!

GAMEPLAY

- Added Chaos Knight, Phantom Assassin, and Gyrocopter!
    - Drow: Fixed Frost Arrows not working on mechanical units.
    - Morphling: Added effects for strength and agility morph as well as an overhead timer for replicate.
    - Nature's Prophet: Fixed Sprout destroying other trees around it.
    - Shadow Demon: Fixed Soul Catcher being dispellable.
    - Shadow Demon: Fixed Shadow Poison impact damage not hurting Disrupted units (and thus not disabling Blink).
    - Fixed targeted spells not temporarily revealing the attacker.
    - Fixed Orb of venom working on denies.
    - Fixed the following spells being castable on magic immune allies: Nightmare, Frost Armor, Nature's Guise, Holy Persuasion, Decrepify, Astral Imprisonment, Shadow Word and X Marks The Spot

UI
    - Selecting "Equip" on an item in the backpack now flips to the loadout and automatically does the equipping for you.
    - Added support for watching replays via URL. For example, "[URL]dota2://dota2://matchid=15478&matchtime=300[/URL]" will go directly to five minutes into match 15478.
    - Added button in replay panel to copy an URL into the clipboard that can be used to get back to that point in that replay.

- Added Hall of Fame trophies to the bases. Clicking on them will display the winning teams of The International.

DOTA 2 BOTS
    - Made bots not leave a gank if they currently have the ability to reincarnate and allies are still attacking.
    - Fixed bug where bots would pick their heroes before humans locked in their picks.

Chaos Knight, Phantom Assassin, and Gyrocopter are in but wont be in the main client until after the wildcards are over on monday.

I must say I was quite apprehensive about them being free to play with an ingame shop ....

but to be honest, it looks like the whole hero pool will be available from the get go, and the shop will contain cosmetics only.

And I must say I love my Pirate sword on Tide, I JUST NEED MOAR HATS

• Advertisement

Taken from Dota 2 Reddit,

but

I LOVE Gyro's voice work haha xD

:pac::pac:

Advertisement