Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Eh, it'd be interesting to do alright, I have 3-4 people I play with regularly. The skill levels I've observed are pretty uneven though but it could be good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I'm down for it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Best hero to try and learn how to play?

Best hero to try and learn how to play?

Stick to support heroes starting of I think. Lion, witch doctor, dazzle, wisp etc. Learn the game from playing those heroes then figure out what you like doing.

Just don't feed as much as me, I love a good feed

Stick to support heroes starting of I think. Lion, witch doctor, dazzle, wisp etc. Learn the game from playing those heroes then figure out what you like doing.

Just don't feed as much as me, I love a good feed
    Support is usually the first role new people are asked to learn because they don't need farm. In that vein, I don't recommend wisp, since it's quite positional and requires coordination. People will ask you to play CM, don't, because she's so slow you need to be super aware of where you are and where you want to go. Play Lich for ease of learning and he's fast, then transition to shadow demon. Both are incredibly powerful with just boots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭Jun_DP101

Hey all, does anyone have a spare invite for this? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

So if I choose a support hero like Liche, I shouldn't be last hitting? Just trying to deny creeps? This game is so much more confusing than LoL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

So if I choose a support hero like Liche, I shouldn't be last hitting? Just trying to deny creeps? This game is so much more confusing than LoL.

Pretty much, you should be denying and harassing and letting the hero you're babysitting farm. Obviously sometimes you can take some hits if the carry isn't going to get them/is healing up or whatever, but in general heroes like Lich are extremely item-independent compared to the dudes you'll be in lane with. All you really need is regen, boots of speed, maybe a bracer for health if you're having trouble early on, and wards/sentry wards/dust/smoke/flying courier (and work towards a mek). All very cheap.

You'll probably find yourself with bursts of gold every once in a while from getting kills with your ult in teamfights etc, and you can work towards a bigger item like a sceptre from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

I generally go donkey/wards + tangos + 4 branches > wand > boots > headdress > full mech > bracers > drums > ghost boots (the one with the activated speed). always get wards when you can (i tend to build to headdress and then spam wards, only getting other items if wards are on CD) and spam them at the runes and in gank points in jungles if you are on the jungle lane. A really nice thing about lich is that it is pretty easy to manage his mana compared to a lot of other champs, so you can skip that. Get bracers earlier if you need the HP. Aghs is considered terrible on Lich, but i usually end up getting it, since pugs don't react correctly to your ult and it just mops them up in a fight.

Skill up ult > mana regen (this denys creeps from your enemy, and pushes the creeps to your tower making it safer, and gives delicious mana) > frost nova > frost arm. Your ultimate is insane when you first get it. use it to get a kill or two. just wait for the enemy to approach their creep line and hit them with frost and ult. even better if you can get just 2 enemies together as they will get instagibbed. make sure to hit the higher health one 1st if they aren't going to escape to get extra bounces.

You are a support so don't kill the creeps. if you are in a pub and the carry is doing terrible, or you end up in a strange lane without one then feel free to last hit (its more difficult than LoL, so get practicing).

Lich is my favourite:D

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

If there's any 5v5 players on here, I'd like to play as well.

Steam id: Robertut

Just mention where you got my id ;)

• Advertisement

Who actually sits in the boards.ie channel? Because it seems like we have a lot more people than actually go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

I played two games last night as support on lion and then one support on shadow shaman, ended pretty well both games.

Oh yeah, I generally play dota under SeriousBusiness nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just got access there, will download tonight and give it a nosey

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    Oh yeah, I generally play dota under SeriousBusiness nick.

I also sit in the channel whenever I'm online. My nick is "M y s t e r i o".

RobertM wrote: »
    I also sit in the channel whenever I'm online. My nick is "M y s t e r i o".
    Yeah, I've seen you in there. You're the chap with many pages of Huskar xD

Yeah, I've seen you in there. You're the chap with many pages of Huskar xD

Yep.. love him :D

Multiple 4-5 man black holes are somehow not enough to win game, since we only managed to break even (no dps since TA failed mid beyond hard, and despite me ganking for razor solo safe lane twice he didn't have enough farm).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Some good 5 stacks recently with out new Danish friend lol. Ezalor tinker mid is broken!

I have a new teamspeak server up and running if anyone needs to use it for stacks in DOTA just PM me.

• Advertisement

It wasn't even mid! Safe lane, heh. We had SD/Lesh mid. Naga siren is HILARIOUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Naga siren is HILARIOUS.

Song Of the Siren is Broken at setting up team fights, however most times I see people using it. they end up damaging there team by letting the likes of Sand kings burrow strike come off cool down while asleep.

GO_Bear wrote: »
    Song Of the Siren is Broken at setting up team fights, however most times I see people using it. they end up damaging there team by letting the likes of Sand kings burrow strike come off cool down while asleep.
    I've usually just been using it to do stupidly dangerous dives because my team either doesn't have enough teamfight, or, mistimes everything -__-. But riptide is amazing in the early game. So much damage + a slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

lads. that 25eu beta key deal...

if you buy it, you get all character unlocked too? or even when it will be free to play you still going to get all characters?

i would love to play some dota 2, but i just want to know if i get at least something, then just a entering the game.

if you buy it, you get all character unlocked too? or even when it will be free to play you still going to get all characters?

i would love to play some dota 2, but i just want to know if i get at least something, then just a entering the game.
    ? All heroes are free to play in dota2. You get cosmetic options like couriers, item sets for heroes and/or announcers. However, there is no affect on game mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

if you go on reddit, there is a subreddit where you can trade 2-3 keys for an invite. Not sure how legit it is, but it should be pretty transparent if you go through Steam.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Previously on ShadowHearth wants to play DotA 2 :pac:
    Lads, is that premium pack is worth getting? Is it a good value? If we won't cOunt in beta key itself?
    Not at all, you can get the game for 4e on reddit, and item sets are cheap enough if you want them.
    any links for that bud?
    You buy 2 keys from the dota 2 store here(1.99 each): http://www.dota2.com/store/?appid=570#cat=2
    You have to top up your steam wallet, minimum amount is 5 euro.

You go here and trade for a dota 2 invite in steam: http://www.reddit.com/r/Dota2Trade

eg of such a thread: http://www.reddit.com/r/Dota2Trade/comments/wa6wm/hmany_dota_invite_w2_keys_each/

:D

Sure just get 2 treasure chest keys.

First invoker game last night, i thought it went well?! But I dunno

apart from when we were going to kill furion and i deafening blasted him into the river :D

5 of them trying to push a tower, meteor, deafening blast, tornado, emp etc. Just lol.

After all that dibs was chanelling as ezalor and we actually got a kill with them trying to push as 5v2 ahaha

i know i know. i just dont want to mess with that crap.

i dont mind paying 25eu as long as i know what am i paying.

i got lapses lads. i want to play it, but then i remember amount the stuff i bough on sale and havent even tried yet...

All right, but it's very easy. I'd do it for you even if you wanted.

Well if you pay 25e, you get a dota 2 invite, a courier worth 9.49 in the shop, and a few sets of items worth a few euro each. That's if you bought them in the shop. If you buy all these things in the forums I'd say you are paying 25e for 10e of stuff, also you can find all that stuff for free by playing. Still, it's not bad for a fantastic game and no messing around as you say.

Everybody is like that with steam sales heh. Some people rage quite after getting hammered twice and never play again, so be sure you like the idea of mobas and realise you will get hammered for a while. You can see people think it is worth it, it's in beta and is the most played game on steam already isnt it? Not sure.

Most people get addicted like me...

whLam.png

:)

• Advertisement

I played a lot of Lol so I have a basic moba training.
    I see what's the story on weekend. If nothing major happening I'll get it.

Advertisement