Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Found this on Reddit if you are comming from LoL, just some differences

Wall of text warning!
    1. I think as a basic rule, carry a TP when you leave base. This will save you from ganks left, right and center. It will also help you to be an effective team player, allowing you to participate in ganks, and push lanes/defend towers which is an essential element in Dota2.

2. It's more important that you don't die early game, as opposed to trying to be too aggressive and going for that first blood.

3. A lot of new people auto-attack creep waves (meaning you push) early game, which is not beneficial (unless of course you are going for an early tower, and you have the mix to make it happen).

4. Denying is of course wonderful, but not worth dieing for once again.

5. Don't contribute to the already abusive community. Accept advice. Don't hate on the baddy. Everyone was new once. Spewing forth hate after a failed gank helps NO-ONE! Not you, not your team, not your neighbour, not the squirrel in the tree outside your window. Hopefully Valve never implement KD:R. Commend good players and report abusive players.

6. Don't buy boots as your first item. Buy tango's (HP/s), clarity's(MP/s) and branches(+stats). A quelling blade (for chopping trees + last hitting) is good, but only if you use it, and it is a fair chunk of your starting cash dollars.

7. A courier is essential to a smooth game, and you seriously gimp your mid if you don't have one. If you have to run back early on, you miss so much XP.

8. Wards will save you again and again. Someone needs to buy them, and if no-one does, take it upon yourself (Usually one person buys courier, 1 buys wards @ game start).

9. Jungle is very situational. Early game the jungle is *for your supports and your junglers**, not your carries. This is because the jungle is used by support to pull to give your carry solo experience in lane.

10. A ping on the map does not say, "I am ganking in 10 seconds. TP down". 99% of people will have no sympathy for you if you rage because you got no help and all you did was ping.

11. As a rule, don't tower dive (chase an enemy hero through one of their towers) unless you are sure or have a team mate to rely on. So many failed ganks...

12. Don't rely on your average pub player to save you, or make a great play. It happens, sure; but you will leave disappointed and angry if you roll like this.

13. Remember, a tower is worth a lot of gold, and should be defended. Use your insight however, as trying to save a tower being pushed by 5 heroes by yourself alone is not going to help anybody. Also, towers are deniable below 1/10* (correct me if I am wrong).

14. *Every bit of gold counts, missing a creep kill here and there begins to add up. If you get every creep for the first 10 minutes, that's about 400gpm right there. Missing a single creep every creep wave brings that down to 300gpm.

15. As you mention, runes are incredibly powerful, so make sure you call misses.

I will throw a few more in a bit, but the best advice I can give is that if you are out of position in DoTA2 you will be punished alot harder for it than in LoL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Your biggest obstacle is going to be the Shop. Enjoy deciphering it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Played Panda for the first time as an experiment vs bots. Holy **** he falls off fairly steeply after midgame even with Aghs. His peak seems to be circa 11 with blink. Also, had the worst panda I've ever seen on my team last night.

"Panda's going top"
    "What, why? Is he coming to gank?"
    "Dunno"
    "He has ulti up I guess so it's fine"
    "He's level 5"

15 mins into the game.

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    Played Panda for the first time as an experiment vs bots. Holy **** he falls off fairly steeply after midgame even with Aghs.

Not really man, he will always be a pain in the arse for supports if the team is not smart enough to insta gib the Fire and Storm brewlings, also the Storm panda is amazing with Agha's, spin there carry for a silly amount of time as well as purge if they have dd or any other rune active.

And wait for their BkB to come down and use your w to wreck carries, in my opinion he is one of the most powerful heroes in the game right now !

I agree he's really powerful but there's a definite fall of compared to his mid game that was really surprising to me. I just didn't expect it to be that much. I expected it to be more in line with something like QoP but it feels more severe. Could be because I've been playing a lot of right click carries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

Rikimaru comes for you! :D

RobertM wrote: »
    Rikimaru comes for you! :D

2 Yashas on Barathrum, the move speed does not stack :( and why does that Drow have two crit swords, the crit chance does not stack either :(( She could of finished a daedalus for almost the price, it boggles the mind !

GO_Bear wrote: »
    2 Yashas on Barathrum, the move speed does not stack :( and why does that Drow have two crit swords, the crit chance does not stack either :(( She could of finished a daedalus for almost the price, it boggles the mind !
    Shadowblade drow, 44 min game. Max CS 147... I don't think you need to ask why on the item choice.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

that aghs tornado on panda alone wins a fight, he is imba!

Ugh, manage to farm a 16 min rad on Naga after tranquil boots + soul ring. Huskar on team has gone 10-1 with dazzle support. Welp, team fights were really easy.

• Advertisement

Haven't played in over a week with me moving into my new place. Just got 50MB broadband today :D . Let the feeding commence!

I'm just delighted my zapport player has returned :D. Also, who's playing under $hit Magnet and sits in the boards channel?

Can someone explain how the levels work in Dota 2 ?Like I'm a level 10 with 76 wins and before a match starts I usually check my team's wins/levels and often see people with 100+ wins but a level 9.. :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

that is because levels was only introduced recently, so I was level 1 with 200 wins or whatever. You get points per minute played basically, some items boost that rate.

Guys how do you cope with all the "pro" players that exist in dota ? I'm still trying to learn all the heroes and remember items and all. Just because I don't play this game 24/7 like others, does that make me a noob ?

You should play against bots in coop until you feel familiar with heroes and items, then you will be matched against people of your skill level in matchmaking games. If you lose you will be matched against worse people etc until you get even games.

I've played with bots, but they seem to do the same things over and over. But my point is the people in dota. I'd rather lose all the time but with friendly people instead of having complete moaners all the time.

then you will have to play with friends, there is moaning in every single game otherwise

There should be plenty of moaning even in a friends stack. Even more so since it should be constructive moaning.

"No, why would you even go in to that. Just let him die"
    "Why did you take that fight 3v5? Without your dps, are you retarded?"
    "Why are you walking uphill at night in their jungle without ward vision?
    "What the ****?"
    "Stop making my last hitting harder"
    "When you said you wanted to play carry, why is your bfury at 28 minutes..."
    "You have 16 last hits... as mid, in 20 minutes. Right.... I think we lost 2 out of 3 lanes... and jungle."

Also, the bots are surprisingly good at "SUDDENLY 5 MAN DOTA TRAIN". Especially if you are playing mid. They even do it during standard gank timings like 6:30 or so.

They finally added -swap, woot woot

• Advertisement

We need to feed

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Time to random every game :pac:

1. Naga ult as enemy team breaches high ground
    2. Vacuum
    3. Black Hole.
    4. Cancel Naga Ult

???

5. I think there used be an enemy team there.

dota2://matchid=32208721&matchtime=2692
    dota2://matchid=31719293&matchtime=2137

Not sure how the link will work but, funny stuff. If you're Naga. 2nd link is when you don't have naga/DS. Way way harder to get done.

who is this in the dota 2 fantasy league? http://fantasy.dota-academy.com/TeamInfo/311

we are drawing on points!

Dota documentary trailer http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/4g14se/dota-2-exclusive-documentary-trailer

I am in the League, but doing ****, I only bought Bulba after his first game, and I sold Vigoss before he had his good game ( I realise they are old games ! ) I know they reset the points before the international, but I hope they reset the money As I have lost most of mine selling players for 80% ( Did not realise it ) So I have 10,000,000 at the start of the international !!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

My team: http://fantasy.dota-academy.com/TeamInfo/6546

You can reset your team at any point in the Settings tab GO_BEAR but you can sell for 100% value atm anyway.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    My team: http://fantasy.dota-academy.com/TeamInfo/6546

You can reset your team at any point in the Settings tab GO_BEAR but you can sell for 100% value atm anyway.

Got it done :)), Now I need to plan my new team for the international.

EG / DK / Na'Vi, I really wantto pick up Vigoss and Silent from M5 but they are playing pants lately !

Dreddybajs wrote: »

My Team :Knowns Lads

We both are betting on DK I see :P I have high hopes for EG and am praying M5 don't bottle it, but Vigoss is great to watch ! Took Xboct because regardless of how Na'Vi do he is a farming god, with the token Zenith and mTw pickup.

I reckon you will regret having those AL players on your team :p !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Yeah I'm just hoping to get a few points off them then get rid of them when they get knocked out and maybe switch up another player with the cash. :pac: I started off really wanting Pajkatt and Burning both on the team, my two favourite carry players, but I just couldn't justify Pajkatt being 1.7 mil. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Does dota2 has some slave trafficking add on too now?!

Advertisement