Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I've been watching a few games of this on the spectator so have a few noob questions?
    Does everyone start off level 1 and level up though the game or do you carry over your level from your previous game from a certain hero?
    Does it matter what the kill score is or is that just for more xp/gold?
    Do all games take between 30-40 mins?
    I saw little 'helpers' running around fighting, are these an ability from characters or are they just part of the map and appear every now and again?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    I've been watching a few games of this on the spectator so have a few noob questions?
    Does everyone start off level 1 and level up though the game or do you carry over your level from your previous game from a certain hero?
    Does it matter what the kill score is or is that just for more xp/gold?
    Do all games take between 30-40 mins?
    I saw little 'helpers' running around fighting, are these an ability from characters or are they just part of the map and appear every now and again?
    Thanks

1. For the level, someone said earlier in this thread that you get points per minute played, and yes you just carry on the points and advance in levels.
    2. You get more xp/gold if you farm than getting kills.
    3. It depends on the game really, but I'd say that around 60-70% of games finish in around the 40 minute mark.
    4. When you say little helpers, do you refer to the neutral creeps ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

you are mixing up hero level and your account level. In all games your hero starts off at level one.
    kills give you gold, and it makes them lose gold too, double whammy. better items for you.

as well as the two teams creeps that fight each other tehre are also little helpers that certain heroes can summon to help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Welp, M5 apparently slept in :D, therefore, forfeit.

Hah, really nice to see the flaws of Naga so exposed. Especially the tranquil/soul ring into radiance build. With pretty good ricing Naga gets the rad at about 20 minutes but then brings nothing else to the table. Riptide is nice but her illusions are so weak untill they're levelled up to four. And she's utter paper, you need a vit booster and probably treads, meaning your rad is a tool to farm faster. Which is nice in theory but an AM is online faster, a morph is online faster. Granted Naga has more pre lvl 6 power but to make a mid game impact on her own, treads diffusal manta is the way to go. Incidentally I've stopped playing naga :D.

• Advertisement

so anyone have a spare invite key lying around the place :D iv applied for the beta but i reckon it'll be out before i ever hear back about it

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Huh, what's the gripe with it? You press play and you play?

Ehh no. You press play, wait about 10 minutes, then have someone not accept, so go back to queue for another 3 minutes, then everyone accepts, then someone fails loading, then queue for another 3 minutes then maybe if youre lucky, a game actually starts.

Compared to something like LoL where you actually press play and play.

Dreddybajs wrote: »

No idea about rebinding mouse3 either, what do you want it to do? Attack move?
    I've been using mouse3 for voicecomms since ts1. Nothing in this world will make me change that. It seems you need to sacrifice virgins to be able to unbind the default mouse3 behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

The average queue time is usually around 2:30 for Europe and has been for months. Haven't had any problem with long queues in a long time personally.

Also no clue what mouse3 is even set to in Dota 2, is it the panning thing? That sucks that you can't unbind that.

Actually, you can unbind it it seems via console commands. I've also not experienced queuing problems.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Dustaz wrote:
    Ehh no. You press play, wait about 10 minutes, then have someone not accept, so go back to queue for another 3 minutes, then everyone accepts, then someone fails loading, then queue for another 3 minutes then maybe if youre lucky, a game actually starts.
    I imagine that is got to do with your low level/newness. You are being matched with new unreliable people. I never wait more than 2 minutes and never have to requeue unless there is a patch. If I queue for a coop bot game to teach somebody it takes literally one second.after some games your problem will disappear especially after they introduced a time penalty for declining a match

As i type this, 5 minute wait followed by a loading failure.

Might well be due to low level, but at this rate, i cba getting higher level.

Even a 2 minute queue is shocking by todays standards.

TI2 is on right now with 500k concurrents. It's not unexpected that queue time is extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Hawke

If you have problems waiting 5 minutes this is not the game for you. Large party sizes can help too, but honestly if you cant wait the current time don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sephiroth_vg

Anyone here who actually is GOOD at dota? I am looking for players, gonna form a team soon and start trying to get in on the pro scene...i have 9 years experiance playing dota in lans and garena in south asia but i live in ireland..so ya! drop me a pm here...or add me on steam: sephiroth_vg

Hawke wrote: »
    If you have problems waiting 5 minutes this is not the game for you. Large party sizes can help too, but honestly if you cant wait the current time don't bother.

Dota, hon or lol dont feature such long wait times.

Dustaz wrote: »
    Dota, hon or lol dont feature such long wait times.

The longest Que I have gotten recently was 3 minutes just queued for All Pick on European servers. Normally about just at or under 1 minute when I que for AP,SD and RD (on just Europe). One of my mates who just started playing has had slightly longer que times though which I think is due to him being at the tail end of the skill level bell curve with not some many people to match make with, and also tends to have a lot more leavers / people not accepted

Captains mode has considerably longer queues which is to be expected

Have not played HoN in ages but last time I played the que for the Mid wars map was rather fast, and LoL's que is fast but the single most aggravating thing about LoL is the game can be stopped by someone during the picking phase which grinds my ****ing gears after waiting 1:30 seconds to have one person leave and boot you back out to the queue. As opposed to the HoN / DoTA once you click accept you are "locked in" (unless you fail to load)

Ah cmon, it used to take a good ten minutes sometimes on bnet to get 5 people into the same lobby at the same time. Was the same on DLG when I played on that, could take ages to get a game that wasn't high skill players trying to stack against level 0s.

Can't speak for hon or lol, though again I don't have the same issue you do with regard to long queues personally anyway. One thing to remember is lol is out, not in beta, and has a much larger player base, so it's not surprising queues would be noticeably shorter.

I'd say queue times for newer players will be dramatically cut down once the game comes out properly.

Guys want to try and do 5v5 CM this sunday?

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »

If I'm around I will sure.

• Advertisement

Sure, but the hurling final is on !

Well, I'll hang around in the boards.ie channel that day and maybe we'll get 10 people, somehow, xD.

I'll be online, but

I'm a noob xD

GO_Bear wrote: »
    Sure, but the hurling final is on !

**** you feeder! :D

I'm guessing no one here has a spare invite key no? Is there any other way of getting one apart from buying the bundle on steam or the survey?

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    I'm guessing no one here has a spare invite key no? Is there any other way of getting one apart from buying the bundle on steam or the survey?

There's also this.

That's how I got my key.

**** you feeder! :D

There is only enough room in this thread for one feeder !

[Quote=RobertM;

There's also this.

That's how I got my key.[/Quote]

That's closed now unfortunately. Suppose I just have to wait for valve to release the game, I'll just play league of legends until it's out, could be a while knowing valve

You can get a key for about 4 euro on the reddit game trade subreddit yoke.

• Advertisement

GO_Bear wrote: »
    There is only enough room in this thread for one feeder !

Go back to 1200 hon with your work buddies Donal, I know your game! You've had the privilege of playing with the best pudge in Ireland count yourself lucky!

Seriously though we havent played in ages

Advertisement