Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

GO_Bear wrote: »
    Taken from a UKdota reddit post by user "Skoo"

saw those magazines today, 9 euro. You get dota and payday the heist. Sure anybody could just go in and take pictures of all the codes lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Cheers,

I actually got it off a buddy of mine who bought the €24 thing.

Im enjoying it, but i'm losing a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

[QUOTE

Im enjoying it, but i'm losing a lot![/QUOTE]

same as that, im slowly getting used to it and trying to use some of the tactics that i read about or pick up along the way from other players. how many games have people played here to get a feel for it in general, i know you never know all the characters but to get the basics and not lose every game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Enemy team gets mouz Black to stand in for them in a casual uk dota tournament, no prize offered. Still loses. LOLOLOLOLOL

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

6.75 Parity and Mag tomorrow, In light of Rooftrellans buff, I would love to see a Tree + Mag ulty Combo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

Anyone wants a dota2 invite ? Got a free invitation from steam today, so any takers ?

I got two invites as well to throw out.

New players should check out DotaNoobs as well, nice little community of mostly new and some old players, play with them most evening myself as its good craic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

RobertM wrote: »
    Anyone wants a dota2 invite ? Got a free invitation from steam today, so any takers ?

Same here. First time playing this kinda game and they give me two copies. Losing like a boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

I got two invites as well to throw out.

New players should check out DotaNoobs as well, nice little community of mostly new and some old players, play with them most evening myself as its good craic
    Personally I find that community mostly headwrecking to play with, I don't mind playing with new players. I hate bad players who can't take criticism. Sadly the ukihl is being revamped.

I got an invite from steam just now so if anyone wants it let me know.
    Really want to get a run at playing this, stupid college work.

EDIT: invite is gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Would really love an invite if there's any going guys.

PM me your steam profile man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

I have DOTA 2 invite but looking to trade, any takers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Well I have two I'm willing to give away for nothing ya greedy fecker. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Have a gift if anyone wants it, pm me.

I have a noob question, iv gotten a grasp of a few Heros and the game mechanics in general, the one area that I am totally lost is items, is there any 'core' items that i should buy in general. I know certain items will be better for certain characters but is there any one fits all necessity items, especially for a noob. Thanks

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    I have a noob question, iv gotten a grasp of a few Heros and the game mechanics in general, the one area that I am totally lost is items, is there any 'core' items that i should buy in general. I know certain items will be better for certain characters but is there any one fits all necessity items, especially for a noob. Thanks

Visit Dotanoobs.com, Join and introduce yourself on the forums, then hop on mumble, and say hello, ask if anyone if playing games, people to look out for to say hello too and ask for help would be "Shane", "Known" (me), "Unopolak", "Baynn" , and many other "coaches" ( in inverted comma's cause I am a ****e teacher ), nightly inhouses or 5 stacked MM. There are some arseholes/moaners to watch out for but you will learn them fast enough.

Past getting boots on every hero, not really to be honest Deselby. What items you build depends on what role you're playing on the team, your team composition, and the enemy team composition - however for each hero you can pretty much start off getting their standard items when you start playing them (check out the alt-tab guide to every hero for that), and then get more flexible with your builds as you get to understand the hero and what particular item would be helpful in a given game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

DeSelby83 wrote: »

Doesn't help that the shop is a mess to look at. You can get very deep with how the different weapons effect what and mitigated by what but for the most part your fine by just looking out for specific things that may dictate what item you should get.

eg Your playing a melee carry and the other team has a Shadow Shaman = buy a Black King Bar pronto!

thanks for the info guys, i suppose its a long learning curve and just to get stuck in and keep tabs on what items i use with certain characters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

you should get a magic wand on every hero.

Not true.

If your against a team that doesn't spam spells then its a pointless buy.

99% of the time I would still get magic wand, its saved my ass in more clutch situations then anything, and anyways what else are you gonna use your 3 gg branches for

99% of the time I would still get magic wand, its saved my ass in more clutch situations then anything, and anyways what else are you gonna use your 3 gg branches for
    Exactly, it's cost effective, saves you a lot and is one if the best items in the game. Plus I'm just copying what the pros say :p

A mech.

Stev_o wrote: »
    A mech.

My OCD won't let me, 1 branch will be left over

Wand is good to buy on heroes that'll have 3 branches at the start (generally mids and the hero farming the easy lane). Buying a bunch of branches on other laning roles can be pretty detrimental to your team - for example, I often see hard supports buying them going to the easy lane when they could've bought another set of wards or extra regen instead.

It's also good on heroes that'll be roaming a fair amount (again, most mid heroes, and some other good roamers include veno, VS, sand king etc.) as, since they'll be roaming and thus involved in a lot more engagements than someone staying in a static lane, they'll get more utility out of the wand as it'll get more charges.

Even on some heroes that start with branches (some hard carries) it can be a bit of a waste as it's just delaying your first item by 350 gold - obviously in some situations it's great during the laning phase, like if you're getting trilaned against or if you're against a batrider or someone like that who'll be constantly be spamming you with napalm, but a lot of the time it won't do that much. 350 gold means you could have your battlefury or whatever item a minute faster, and that's a huge difference.

Anyway it's still a great item but definitely not one to be bought every game on every hero!

Its still the best item in the game

Edit: After wards

• Advertisement

Its still the best item in the game

Edit: After wards

You obviously forgot about the dagon :D

Advertisement