Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

just started playing this a few days ago. wanted to see what all the fuss was about and of course the valve involvement grabbed my interest. had never played a "MOBA" game before. community is pretty awful but i knew that so didnt really mind when my whole team wanted to report me for "being ****" lol. anyway learning curve is steep enough all right but not as bad as some people make out. i did some reading online, picked a few heroes (dragon knight, nature's prophet, sniper, doom bringer) and played in some bot matches before hitting the matchmaker. after losing my first 10 games (presumably largely in part to me) i started getting reasonably competent. i've now won 7 out of my last 8 pub games and am getting some decent kill scores too.

it really is an amazing game, with so many heroes to chose from and many different item builds and strategies, the depth of this game is orders of magnitude greater than anything i've ever played. it will keep you playing for many years.

it's a testament to how nicely balanced the game is that if you asked someone who the best hero is for a particular role or what is the best item build, you will likely get a different answer from each person.

with valve behind it, i think it could be one of the biggest games ever.

froog wrote: »
    just started playing this a few days ago. wanted to see what all the fuss was about and of course the valve involvement grabbed my interest. had never played a "MOBA" game before. community is pretty awful but i knew that so didnt really mind when my whole team wanted to report me for "being ****" lol. anyway learning curve is steep enough all right but not as bad as some people make out. i did some reading online, picked a few heroes (dragon knight, nature's prophet, sniper, doom bringer) and played in some bot matches before hitting the matchmaker. after losing my first 10 games (presumably largely in part to me) i started getting reasonably competent. i've now won 7 out of my last 8 pub games and am getting some decent kill scores too.

it really is an amazing game, with so many heroes to chose from and many different item builds and strategies, the depth of this game is orders of magnitude greater than anything i've ever played. it will keep you playing for many years.

it's a testament to how nicely balanced the game is that if you asked someone who the best hero is for a particular role or what is the best item build, you will likely get a different answer from each person.

Also, there is no better feeling in gaming then teleporting beside an enemy's pool as Furion and securing a Dagon frag :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Anyone got a spare access code?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Yeah add Taraldarion but I don't know when I'll be on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

If anyone needs an invite add me on steam (witnessmenow) I have 6 spares

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

I've 7 copies left, after gifting a few already. Add me TheCrimsonGhost and I'll gift you one.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

I also have 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

they should just release it officially instead of giving out all these invites

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    they should just release it officially instead of giving out all these invites

They're probably waiting until they have all the heroes ported from Dota 1.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

froog wrote: »

Ya I'm the same,only started playing it the other day.
    Its strangely addictive! At the start I hadn't a clue what I was doin and bein cursed at by my teamates,not doin too bad now,just 1 more loss than wins.
    Playing with the random draft on to try out the different hero's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Have tonnes of copies, haha. Anyone on here playing regularly?

I've been playing it since I got it last week....still not great though

Takes time gents to become as big a feeder as Donal is hard work :D

This is a video the guys I play with made. Some funny clips most of my kills are under Sandor Clegane. The kill Rattlesnk got with Kunkka he was completely clueless he wasn't trying to kill him at all haha. The Zeus game I had was ****ing hilarious, every time I ultied in those first 15 minutes led to 3-4 kills! The last thing is one of the lads wasted on TS trying to talk to his cat.....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Nice work, love it. havent seen ye in ages

track?

It does take a while to get to grips with the game, plus those early deaths really screw you over alright :)

Shoot me a hello if you want to group up --- If I'm on I'm usually sitting in the Ireland room under the name "ping".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

If anyone has an access code I can trade some keys from the last humble bundle. I have The Binding of Isaac and the DLC, Indie Game the Movie, Cave Story+, and the Basement Collection

Nice work, love it. havent seen ye in ages

track?

Indeed :( , haven't been on as much these days and when I do I might play 1 or 2 and then go off. No idea about the track I didn't make it but I'll ask him later.

moridin wrote: »
    It does take a while to get to grips with the game, plus those early deaths really screw you over alright :)

Shoot me a hello if you want to group up --- If I'm on I'm usually sitting in the Ireland room under the name "ping".

Ireland room?...how does one get into/find this Ireland room?

Guys if you want to do well just watch a few of Donal's games(Go Bear) . Then do the oppposite you'll be fine then :D , but seriously it literally has the biggest learning curve of any game but is the most enjoyable after that inital period as every game is different. I found that when I started playing HoN 4 years or so ago the best way to learn was to play support, get good at the simple aspects of the game like surviving the laning phase & keeping good vision on the map for your team mates through warding. Stick to a few particular heroes at first and avoid carries as you'll get more **** off people if you pick a carry and don't do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Hey guys,

I rarely frequent boards these days but figured I'd drop by here to leave a message.

I have 7 BETA keys available for people if anyone wants them (for free). Just add me on steam: irl_sinister

Also, is there a channel set up for Irish people in-game?

• Advertisement

There's an Ireland chat room :)

chatqbs.jpg

Click the + icon and search for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

I'm in that pic as well, I must be famous :D

I just joined there......ppl have a ridiculous amount of wins attained :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Wish they'd stop sending me gifts on steam ! Im running out of random friends on steam to give them too !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Just picked this up today. Got a steam key.

Watched a load of youtube tutorials.

Still getting my ass whoooped.

Is there a boards group or anything?

No but there should be, just go into the ireland channel and add people I guess. Should probably be a list of steam names here that play it, I nominate go bear to make it :D

Stick with it man, everybody gets their ass handed to them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

I just hope it's not a game where I'll have to put in 100's of hours just to enjoy it, let alone get good at it :P

If anyone wants to team up with a n00b, feel free to pm your steam name.

also if anyone has a spare key they've no need for could they pm? It's be nice to give one to a friend so I'd have someone to play with :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭RobertM

KonFusion wrote: »
    I just hope it's not a game where I'll have to put in 100's of hours just to enjoy it, let alone get good at it :P

If anyone wants to team up with a n00b, feel free to pm your steam name.

also if anyone has a spare key they've no need for could they pm? It's be nice to give one to a friend so I'd have someone to play with :pac:

I have some keys here, PM me with his e-mail and I will send a key.

If anyone needs a key PM me I have about 9721721721 of them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

I stopped idling in the Ireland channel.... traffic was so low anyhow. Anyway, played a couple of CM games with my team for the TL tourney for some practice. I've never seen as all in mongoloid strat as what they drafted. They got really close to raxing us, but, Magnus and Batskater. /salt. I wanted to 5 man dota them but they had the same idea... lol.

https://dotabuff.com/matches/99928466

Advertisement