Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

I've never played LoL,is it just dota with a whole lot of extra things in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

PerrinV2 wrote: »

Its very different, some things taken away some things added.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

PerrinV2 wrote: »

LoL doesn't have denies which is probably the biggest difference in the early-to-mid game.

LoL doesn't have denies which is probably the biggest difference in the early-to-mid game.

In all fairness, the whole feel of the game is too different to justify a fair comparison.

At first glance;

DoTA's FoV is smaller and lanes feel more claustraphobic, compared to the almost spacious lanes in league. Minimap is also in the opposite corner

Vision works differently, and so juking is different. ( No Day/night, no height, no uphill miss, they have brush for juking )

Leagues map is more symmetrical ( not fully ), while dota's sidelanes are as you know safe + hard.

Jungle works alot differently, no stacking or pulling, creeps respawn when people are in the camps, and respawn a fixed ammount of time after they are killed, jungle revolves around the two "Buff" creeps.

The relative power of spells is much lower, very few Tiny wombo combo good buy support ! But spells cost considerably less mana, which results in a lot more skill shots and poke battles in lane ( Which I actually find kind of fun )

The rax's are called inhibs, and respawn after a certain ammount of time

Towers ****ing wreck things all the way up till late game. You would be safe from a night stalker under their towers

Consumables are different, the potions work like tangoes do ( HoT , that cannot be canceled )

Just to name a few.

As I said its very different, and alls comes down to preference. I obviously prefer DoTA, but I Reckon alot of the reasons I like it are the same reasons league players don't and vice versa

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i found out about the better towers the hard way!

• Advertisement

while a person who doesn't play moba's might find all I just said trivial,

it would be like asking a fighter player how similar Street fighter and tekken are or WoW and Warhammer online etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dreddybajs vs singsing who will prevail :p

http://www.twitch.tv/sing_sing/c/2503187

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

dreddybajs vs singsing who will prevail :p

http://www.twitch.tv/sing_sing/c/2503187

Haha, we absolutely crushed them the game before, I presume there's no highlight vod of that one. :pac:

Ha, I think he streamed it but didnt put up a vod all right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I made a Dota 2 boards.ie guild, adding everyone I have on my list that I think is Irish/uses boards. Anyone who wants to add people, I'll make them an officer so they can as well.

• Advertisement

You can make me an officer if you want I excel at feeding

I want to be KaG's commander. I command you to feed.

I want to be KaG's commander. I command you to feed.

I don't need orders to feed my friend, all I have to do is pick Sniper!

I don't need orders to feed my friend, all I have to do is pick a hero!
    FYP

I'm away at the moment will join when I am back next week !

GO_Bear wrote: »
    I'm away at the moment will join when I am back next week !

I don't want you in the group, you and your Dublin/bog accent :D . We have enough feeders with Paul. Paul literally plays Skeleton King while clutching rosary beads praying for crits each time, RNG gamer and all that.

SK is too hard having a second skill, how am I meant to BALL OUT OF CONTROL.

rnGG

oa3wslx.gif

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Poor sexy AM

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

how come the servers are so full of awful players atm?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

run of good luck? I lost all my games yesterday, won them all today

• Advertisement

maybe :s i find it amazing how headless people are in this game. they have no understanding of what the enemy is doing and just seem to wander aimlessly or go in far too aggressively. the standard of players has dipped sharply in the past ~6 months or so

Well over the last 6 months I'd understand. Game is opening up more and more to more people, new players etc. It's just natural to see it happen. I often find higher skilled players in compendium matches/draft games.

ive played dota since about 2005 and the standard of the public now is the worst its ever been at. spose that comes with its popularity. at the other end of the spectrum the pros are a lot better so just like a Russia theres this extreme upper class and then massive lower class. it doesnt help that the matchmaking is a joke either :s one game im in with aui2000 and such, the next im in with boris the russian, the best digimon trainer in his village who plays dota on a lada converted to a pc :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Some of the AWC games were fantastic, well played to the winners
    Na'Vi

currently in a 0 wards game with a lvl 5 pudge (16 mins in) no support (as per usual) and just horrible players vs a team that knows wtf to do. this is the 5th lost game in a row which has been over since the first minute. matchmaking is actually a big massive joke.

its incredible just how bad the players are nowadays. so many autolose guys out there

and if i dont pick a carry/mid (a hero that can win the game) and go support, then it becomes even worse. why oh why doesnt this game have concede

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I prefer to think of it as me getting much better, rather than everyone else just being much worse. Makes me feel better

8 losses in a row and counting. matchmaking is a complete farce

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I don't understand how someone can play just shy of 2000 games, and not understand the absolute basics of the game. Boggles my mind.

It's going to get much worse once the game officially launches & popularity increases.

I don't understand how someone can play just shy of 2000 games, and not understand the absolute basics of the game. Boggles my mind.

It's going to get much worse once the game officially launches & popularity increases.

or use the map.

just won a game there. but guess what, the enemy team has 4 reallybads and 1 furion not doing anything so it was a crush. i think valve overestimates the skill of the players :s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

BMMachine wrote: »
    or use the map.

just won a game there. but guess what, the enemy team has 4 reallybads and 1 furion not doing anything so it was a crush. i think valve overestimates the skill of the players :s

The matchmaking is designed to keep everyone's win percentage as close to 50% as possible. If you start doing well you'll eventually be paired with dribblers and vice versa. I was in the very high skill bracket for a while, consistently great team mates resulting in almost every game being won. then got 30 games in a row paired with the worst players Russia has to offer.

Advertisement