Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

BMMachine wrote: »
    8 losses in a row and counting. matchmaking is a complete farce

If you're good enough you can carry the team :P

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

The matchmaking is designed to keep everyone's win percentage as close to 50% as possible. If you start doing well you'll eventually be paired with dribblers and vice versa. I was in the very high skill bracket for a while, consistently great team mates resulting in almost every game being won. then got 30 games in a row paired with the worst players Russia has to offer.

Aye often been the case where the other team builds up a lead and Im trying to offer advice to my teamates not to go off on their own,keep to the tower when they're coming for us,kinda like this :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

one of the biggest myths in dota.
    you cant stop determined stupidity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

I wish they'd add a feature whereby it displays a flag next to players names indicating the region their Steam account is from, so I'd know when to pull my router out of the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Lmao. See Fear on 1 in EG games. I just stack, the way to win is have 1 dude that can farm pretty good, 1 guy who can play a major teamfight hero well so that when your supports are armless, game is salvageable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

gamepage_image.jpg?t=1373408327

:)

http://www.dota2.com/thebetaisover

I only recently started playing, I prefer Dota2 over LoL so far but I must say: the learning curve is kind of putting me off the game, I want to play it but I find myself often preferring other games where I don't have to fear people shouting at me because I suck :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I only recently started playing, I prefer Dota2 over LoL so far but I must say: the learning curve is kind of putting me off the game, I want to play it but I find myself often preferring other games where I don't have to fear people shouting at me because I suck :o

This is the bit that amazes me, I have a newbie account (20 wins) and people do this. Sometimes it's the fault of the MM system (when a guy with 500+ wins is in a game) but usually these comments are coming from people who are obviously playing on smurf accounts - Who The Hell do they actually think they'll end up playing with on a smurf account - oh yes the newbies to pubstomp should be on the other team only!

The matchmaking is designed to keep everyone's win percentage as close to 50% as possible. If you start doing well you'll eventually be paired with dribblers and vice versa. I was in the very high skill bracket for a while, consistently great team mates resulting in almost every game being won. then got 30 games in a row paired with the worst players Russia has to offer.

Wow really? I honestly didn't know they evened it out on purpose... my win rate is 51/52% I think, with 1100 wins. I always go through great patches of being on teams with well known players and then BOOM, out of nowhere my team is full of ***** and I want to throw my monitor out the window!

The myth that if you're good enough you can carry a team is total horse**** to be honest. A really bad person on a team has a negative affect on any good the rest of the team are doing. DOTA2 is not just about getting one carry farmed better then the other, it's a huge part yeah but the game is much more about map control, good support, good on the spot decisions in fights or avoiding fights when it doesn't suit, what to pick against certain heroes and knowing when to push are the most important things in winning a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I don't have to fear people shouting at me because I suck :o

Be liberal with the mute function, people complain about the mute system ruining communication, but from what I have seen 90% of the communication in the newer brackets is negative and/or pointless, as much as I hate borrow terms from 4chan, I think that the only way to get out of the "Trench" in the solo queue, is to just pick Mid and concentrate on getting yourself farmed. Might not win you the game but its your best chance !

Pick QoP, go mid and farm farm farm, side lanes going full retard ? **** them just farm and carry a TP and gank when you are sure you will get kills ( good rune spawn, enemy dives, enemy miles past the river etc ). I think one of the biggest mistake new players make is they don't farm enough, farming well and not dieing for the first 20 minutes can give you enough of an advantage to win the game on a decent semi carry like QoP or TA

However my biggest recommendation is to find people to play with, a regular 5 / 4 stack is perfect, even if the skill levels are disproportionate ( Like when I queue with that scrub Craig ) having fun is way more important, and people will improve faster in those environments. However even a 2 stack is good enough, One takes mid and the other a decent roamer, gank mid early, and if you get a kill for your solo mid qop before minute 5 ? Fecking snowball city right there ! Or alternatively pick a strong lane combo like Sven + Lina and go to the offlane, shut down the enemy carry and get some farm, roam mid if your ruskie pudge is already 0/5 and get some more kills !

Then again this is all easier said then done

tl;dr Find people to play with ( Join the Boards.ie Dota 2 steam group as well )

Now that the guild system is out all my work on the Steam groups logo is going to be obsolete ? Is / Has anyone making/made a guild for Boards ?

OR

Play all pick, wait till the enemies picked, do they have; Lots of CC ? Axe or Tusk ?

If no Pick Huskar and lols all the way to the bank

Does not even matter where you lane him

• Advertisement

I know I'm a feeder Donal but that really hurt my feelings :D

#Bestsnipereu

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yeah there is a guild. I command people to feed in it from my chariot

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Just pick Drow and go mid, all you need is one or two half decent players who don't feed, and you can possibly win, or completely waste your time by dragging the game out when you have no hope.

yeah there is a guild. I command people to feed in it from my chariot

Qmdls3J.jpg

i got sick of having to play mid every game in HoN :p
    i broke my jinx yesterday by going jungle ursa. an early roshan can perk a team up. GO_Bear is right about not dying and farming though. a lot of the new heads that have started with Doto 2 seem to think that playing aggressively all the time is a good thing and in the worst cases, think it shows they are more skillful :o lulling your opponent and then unleashing hell when they misstep is a far better idea than consistent diving with 50/50 trades. my old trick mid was to act like i was a really bad player, miss a few unimportant creeps or something, make the over aggro mid player who watches too many pro streams think im rubbish, wait for him to dive and oh dear - ive just won the lane and you wont be getting anymore creeps, you are free to dive me again though :D (this can cause rage quits though which f-up the game :( )

The matchmaking system is rubbish though. if solo queue, once you hit a certain level of skill, winning is absolutely luck. I've found a lot of time that the heroes dont matter, its the pilot behind them that counts. Id much rather a team of 5 players with a brain with low tier heroes than 5 high tier heroes piloted by the new age baddies

Pro tip: If you see a player with a blatantly Russian name/picture on the players loading screen you can alt + f4 to stop yourself from loading in, and queue up again without getting low priority.

Pro tip: If you see a player with a blatantly Russian name/picture on the players loading screen you can alt + f4 to stop yourself from loading in, and queue up again without getting low priority.

O I do this regularly, that or any Russian symbols. Sometimes Na'vi logos too, the Russian fanboys are the worst because they actually think they are good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Just got home from work and so I'm probably too late but DotA is now out of BETA.

Donal & I were in a very funny game earlier. One of those games you have no right to come back in at all, so far behind and had lost every lane. Plus they had a void and naix....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Downloaded today and did some of the tutorial. Haven't played an actual game yet.

I've heard it's extremely hard to get to grips with, what makes it so?

• Advertisement

danthefan wrote: »
    Downloaded today and did some of the tutorial. Haven't played an actual game yet.

So much pal honestly, I'd have to write an essay explaining it and I dont have much time. I'd check out a few youtube videos, DOTA 2 purge is a good one for seeing how the game should be played. He has a load of them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

http://www.purgegamers.com/welcome-to-dota-you-suck#.Ud8ydvnvuYU

Primarily that game punishes you severely for mistakes. It's very difficult to turn a losing game around.

The game mechanics are also extremely broad, you could play a thousand matches and still learn a new mechanic every single game.

In all fairness though the minimum core gameplay & game concepts are no more complicated than any other multiplayer game.

It's very difficult to turn a losing game around.

BUT it can be done !
    Donal & I were in a very funny game earlier. One of those games you have no right to come back in at all, so far behind and had lost every lane. Plus they had a void and naix....

The Game in question, Craig feeding up solo mid sniper, free farm random slardar position 1 feeder, and me on a support feeding Alchemist. We got our Shadow Blades up at like 30 minutes lol. Here is the gold graph, game of absolute throws on their part.

fMQBvVu.png

EDIT: For those wondering about picks it was -AR

DAT graph LOL

The best part about this game is when we got our shadow blades we were only taking the piss when we said we'll win this now. But then the dives started by dire and we responded very well. To be fair DS got off some absolute huge walls and with a void being replicated with empower on him the damage they were doing to themselves was insane. That along with Donal's alch acid stopping magmus blink ulti and after their Magmus being their early game MVP he actually was the main reason they lost. The main reason though was the epic baiting by your's truly, **** the team I said. Sit at the back and shoot whoever has Slardar's ulti on them. The results were hilarious I haven't enjoyed a game like that in a while. The game is actually worth a watch because it's such a funny turn around. I remember the point me & Donal said we can actually ****ing win this :D . How the **** did you only die 4 times LOL?

A few decent games in a decent playing tier last night though Donal. That game I was ES and you kept timing out as DK. Again baiting the team to get a full ES ulti off which resulted in me ****ting on the other team numerous times :) . I really need to be signed by Na'vi for the International though seriously, I;m just so good at feeding.

DAT graph LOL

The best part about this game is when we got our shadow blades we were only taking the piss when we said we'll win this now. But then the dives started by dire and we responded very well. To be fair DS got off some absolute huge walls and with a void being replicated with empower on him the damage they were doing to themselves was insane. That along with Donal's alch acid stopping magmus blink ulti and after their Magmus being their early game MVP he actually was the main reason they lost. The main reason though was the epic baiting by your's truly, **** the team I said. Sit at the back and shoot whoever has Slardar's ulti on them. The results were hilarious I haven't enjoyed a game like that in a while. The game is actually worth a watch because it's such a funny turn around. I remember the point me & Donal said we can actually ****ing win this :D . How the **** did you only die 4 times LOL?

A few decent games in a decent playing tier last night though Donal. That game I was ES and you kept timing out as DK. Again baiting the team to get a full ES ulti off which resulted in me ****ting on the other team numerous times :) . I really need to be signed by Na'vi for the International though seriously, I;m just so good at feeding.

We had a serious amount of -armor as well with slard, Deso, AC and acid spray. The second void used MoM you were 3 shotting him lol. It was when we bodyblocked Void into the trees on the bot lane and killed him that I knew we were on the way back ! I stunned myself more times in that game then I stunned the enemies as well !

I literally did nothing that DK game, every 3 minutes I got a white screen, think I need to clean the inside of my laptop as it burning red hot ! I propped it up at the back so cool air could get in underneath as well as at the back, hope that's enough !

there are two heroes i never count out to carry in the super late, one of them is sniper. wp guys

id also like to see a free courier given at the start like in HoN. the community cant be trusted with the basics

BMMachine wrote: »
    id also like to see a free courier given at the start like in HoN. the community cant be trusted with the basics

I'll be honest I can't remember the last game I was in when a courier hasn't been bought. Saying that if I'm solo feeder mid or long I normally wait to make sure and I'll buy one for myself if the need arises. I only pick a carry if a support has been picked or randomed so that's probably why I've gotten away with it!

• Advertisement

I'll be honest I can't remember the last game I was in when a courier hasn't been bought. Saying that if I'm solo feeder mid or long I normally wait to make sure and I'll buy one for myself if the need arises. I only pick a carry if a support has been picked or randomed so that's probably why I've gotten away with it!

it would mean ppl pick more support heroes if it meant they didnt have to spend 150g at the start. young male gamers are pretty much the worst people on the planet imo so such petty things as a 150g can become a massive emotional problem for them

Advertisement