Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

We made you work for the fourth

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I was too wrecked to play last night :(

I was too wrecked to play last night :(

Same

I played 2 and had to retire. I'm already feeding right now, then breakfast and I'll be back for a few hours.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This guy must be a robot

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

mayordenis wrote: »
    We made you work for the fourth
    That one was most fun! Comeback ftw!
    This guy must be a robot

Jesus christ that is so boring, I think my most played on any hero is 40 times

• Advertisement

I've played Pudge 234 time LOL

2 games last night, 1 with Bounty on our side and he played surprisingly well, and the 2nd against us, which was a disaster. He was really good with his movements though, myself and Tar had no answer for him (we almost got him twice early game but sure 'almost' isn't good enough :) )

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My sockets were not working so couldnt play yesterday, PITA.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

has valve given any reason why concede isnt part of the game or are they ignorant to just how trolly dota is?

87NTMsC.png

And indeed, those comebacks are teh games you'll always remember, and frankly winning is a lot of fun, and I still have fun when losing in the fountain battles.

• Advertisement

i dont buy it. those comebacks are still possible with a surrender option, the 10 - 20 minutes of wasted time in 95% of the other games is something i could do without though. you can still be competitive and value your time. if matchmaking was better they would have an arguement for not having concede, but as it stands its a joke. played 2 tonight, both games absolute crushes, 1 for and 1 against. about 40 minutes of wasted time between them due to players wanting to troll... and thats what happens, nearly every game.

at the same time, this is a community that abuses just about any function given to them - pausing / readying up in the queue / chat / reporting etc. so yeah, im pretty sure concede would be abused too :s

having witnessed concede, people try to concede about 3 minutes into the game and spam at players all game long, I hate concede. not too hard to lose a game fast if you want to. people are always like ff, but then defend.

having witnessed concede, people try to concede about 3 minutes into the game and spam at players all game long, I hate concede. not too hard to lose a game fast if you want to. people are always like ff, but then defend.

but what about the other team that wants to troll and therefore doesnt push? that happens all the time. i was given out to earlier for pushing too much when the other team had given up. the problem i have is, if you dont want to play, you can't leave or concede. your time is in the hands of other players/trolls and im sorry but thats not a good thing. in a perfect world you are right, but in this current dota climate, no, its already an abysmal community and its only getting worse. they shouldnt have as much power as they do in games

if you've given up all you do is go stand in random trees around the map, how would they not push in anyway if they have won? You dont defend, it ends, simple.and I never face this long trolling you encounter ever so imagine its the people you are playing with. If there was concede we would have not just won this game:

AQ1HQwn.png

It only takes one fight to win as Aliiance say.
    I doubt people would have held out until 47 minutes to win after being stomped, but we did and there are plenty of games like this in dota, none in LoL, I know which I prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

One game in 20 that ends up in an epic comeback isn't worth the countless hours wasted getting stomped imo

I've seen and been part of plenty of comebacks in LoL btw... just saying. Yeah its harder to come back but its not exactly super rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

BMMachine wrote: »
    but what about the other team that wants to troll and therefore doesnt push? that happens all the time. i was given out to earlier for pushing too much when the other team had given up. the problem i have is, if you dont want to play, you can't leave or concede. your time is in the hands of other players/trolls and im sorry but thats not a good thing. in a perfect world you are right, but in this current dota climate, no, its already an abysmal community and its only getting worse. they shouldnt have as much power as they do in games
    Why do you play this game? Virtually every post you've made in this thread has been a whine of some sort.

Sproink rapage again in pre work shocker. #Bambisodomizes

Sproink rapage again in pre work shocker. #Bambisodomizes
    MoM sproink for extra sproink.

Magill wrote: »
    One game in 20 that ends up in an epic comeback isn't worth the countless hours wasted getting stomped imo

I've seen and been part of plenty of comebacks in LoL btw... just saying. Yeah its harder to come back but its not exactly super rare.
    If you're getting stomped and it's it is not over fast then it is not over, and if it is over the creep equilibrium finishes your base fast, so, I don't really know where epeople are getting this stuff? A game was lost yesterday, we had lost rax, we just went inito trees, they didn't push but their creeps ended it in a few minutes, you are not killing any of their creeps.

It is much more rare in LoL, maybe not is low level pubs, but LoL has no comeback mechanism. In DotA, cheaper items are more cost efficient, for example the most cost efficient item in the game costs 53 gold, the opposite is true in LoL making it a snowball game, being ahead just makes you more ahead. Look at the stats for pro games, if you are 10% ahead in gold by 10 minutes you win over 90% of the time, in some stats gathered no winning team ever went more than 7% behind, that is nothing. Imagine watching a few minutes of basketball, one team is 11-10 up and they have 95% chance to win, no wonder they'd want a concede. LoL players always complain about this.

If you're getting stomped and it's it is not over fast then it is not over, and if it is over the creep equilibrium finishes your base fast, so, I don't really know where epeople are getting this stuff? A game was lost yesterday, we had lost rax, we just went inito trees, they didn't push but their creeps ended it in a few minutes, you are not killing any of their creeps.

It is much more rare in LoL, maybe not is low level pubs, but LoL has no comeback mechanism. In DotA, cheaper items are more cost efficient, for example the most cost efficient item in the game costs 53 gold, the opposite is true in LoL making it a snowball game, being ahead just makes you more ahead. Look at the stats for pro games, if you are 10% ahead in gold by 10 minutes you win over 90% of the time, in some stats gathered no winning team ever went more than 7% behind, that is nothing. Imagine watching a few minutes of basketball, one team is 11-10 up and they have 95% chance to win, no wonder they'd want a concede. LoL players always complain about this.

I only played the game like 10 times but most of those games resulted in one of the teams stomping the other, it ended up just being 5v4/3/2 while the winning team just ****ed about for 20/30 minutes racking up kills. Most of the time someone just leaves.. which is even worse because again you've wasted your time as you don't have a chance for a drop if you follow them right ?

Don't want to start a lol v dota argument. I really enjoyed watching some of the comebacks at the international etc, just don't see why they dont have a surrender mechanic like LoL.. its not like you can surrender without your whole teams approval anyway since you need 4/5 votes.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

I only played the game like 10 times but most of those games resulted in one of the teams stomping the other, it ended up just being 5v4/3/2 while the winning team just ****ed about for 20/30 minutes racking up kills. Most of the time someone just leaves.. which is even worse because again you've wasted your time as you don't have a chance for a drop if you follow them right ?

Don't want to start a lol v dota argument. I really enjoyed watching some of the comebacks at the international etc, just don't see why they dont have a surrender mechanic like LoL.. its not like you can surrender without your whole teams approval anyway since you need 4/5 votes.

The same can be said about my first 20 games of League, leavers, newbies running into towers, a smurf stomping each game. Judging a moba by your first 50 games is unfair, hell you don't even have the basics down till at least 100 games. Leavers are a very rare occurrence after a while, its the same in both games.

In terms of comebacks in Dota they are way more frequent, people always make the argument about losing gold when you die, but they forget in League item value increases with increasing cost, for example a mantle gives 20 MR for 400 gold, and negatron cloak gives double that for 720 gold ( more bang for your buck, so the team with more money has lots more item value) meanwhile in dota item value scales very badly, with diminishing returns, 1 iron wood branch gives 1 of each stat for 53 gold, meanwhile an ultimate orb gives 10 of each stat for 2100 gold or 210g for 1 of each stat.

Not saying I don't want a surrender mechanic, but 20 minutes is too short, I will take 20 elongated stomp's if it means me and Kag can win a seemingly lost game with Shadow blade alchemist and sniper :O !

• Advertisement

30 minute shadow blades

We_Got_This.jpg

GO_Bear wrote: »
    The same can be said about my first 20 games of League, leavers, newbies running into towers, a smurf stomping each game. Judging a moba by your first 50 games is unfair, hell you don't even have the basics down till at least 100 games. Leavers are a very rare occurrence after a while, its the same in both games.

In terms of comebacks in Dota they are way more frequent, people always make the argument about losing gold when you die, but they always forget in League item value increases with increasing cost ( more bang for your buck, so the team with more money has lots more item value) meanwhile in dota item value scales very badly, with diminishing returns, 1 iron wood branch gives 1 of each stat for 53 gold, meanwhile an ultimate orb gives 10 of each stat for 2100 gold or 210g for 1 of each stat.

Not saying I don't want a surrender mechanic, but 20 minutes is too short, I will take 20 elongated stomp's if it means me and Kag can win a seemingly lost game with Shadow blade alchemist and sniper :O !

Yeah i'd tend to agree that 20 minutes is probably too short, even in league when a game can sometimes be truly rapped up before that. Maybe 25 minutes or if a player has left the game more than 5 minutes or something.

And yeah you're right about not judging it before putting in more time, just something i ran into multiple times with half my team leaving the game after getting roflstomped in lane and then the other team d!cking around for 30 minutes. Just didn't really get why they wouldn't have a surrender button.

Yeah i'd tend to agree that 20 minutes is probably too short, even in league when a game can sometimes be truly rapped up before that. Maybe 25 minutes or if a player has left the game more than 5 minutes or something.

This system is kind of in Dota, you are free to leave after 5 minutes of a person DCing ... Not sure if you get the cosmetic items at the end, but I am not really concerned about them to be honest, although I have on occasion left after it has been safe to leave, played another game and after the game finding another new item in my inventory, so I am not sure, but perhaps after the game you have left has ended you might still be get an item.
    And yeah you're right about not judging it before putting in more time, just something i ran into multiple times with half my team leaving the game after getting roflstomped in lane and then the other team d!cking around for 30 minutes. Just didn't really get why they wouldn't have a surrender button.

Just leave the game ! Literally the only reason to stay in a 30 minute stomp which is safe to leave is for a chance of Hats !

GO_Bear wrote: »
    This system is kind of in Dota, you are free to leave after 5 minutes of a person DCing ... Not sure if you get the cosmetic items at the end, but I am not really concerned about them to be honest, although I have on occasion left after it has been safe to leave, played another game and after the game finding another new item in my inventory, so I am not sure, but perhaps after the game you have left has ended you might still be get an item.

Just leave the game ! Literally the only reason to stay in a 30 minute stomp which is safe to leave is for a chance of Hats !

dude... i need dem hats !

dude... i need dem hats !

For every stomp game you leave ( when it is safe to do so ) I will donate you a hat. ( or failing that a shoulder piece for Bloodseeker )

What is the story with all the bloodseeker junk?

What is the story with all the bloodseeker junk?

Trying to make him good !

O I shall be around for feeds later

O I shall be around for feeds later

My internet is on the spritz, I can play but I get a 60 second disconnect every so often, called UPC, yer man will be out this week

• Advertisement

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    Why do you play this game? Virtually every post you've made in this thread has been a whine of some sort.

yup. you are right. coming back to it wasn't a good idea. most of the guys i played with have moved on, was talking to a french friend yesterday and he cant believe i play it in the state its in now :p
    i was too used to playing in irc pickups and arranged matches. public matchmaking in dota 2 is simply awful, the behavior of 90% of the players would be enough to get you banlisted on the old pickups but is seen as normal now.
    winning now seems to mean you get to troll the enemy team for as long as possible before finishing them off. if the games were closer and the matchmaking better, this wouldnt happen, but as it stands the matchmaking is schizophrenic at best and downright stupid at worst. i havent played nearly as much in the past 2 weeks and im going to ween myself off the game. its a pity as theres a great game there, its just that the so many of those that play it aren't worth the time, especially the fact that you are locked in with them. oh well :( gonna start playing Go! i think instead

oh and if you are going to have concede - 25 or 30 minutes is fine. its extremely easy to tell who is going to win in public games after about 20+ mins, except the odd freak game

Advertisement