Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Would love if this was a game!

idOVrHJfyZi20.png

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Earth Spirit and Ember Spirit to be added in with this new patch, along with Diretide.

http://www.dota2.com/threespirits

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

goddamn, xin.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭SuperChar

Hey I'm sort of new to dota and I think if some on could help me would be kwl
    Im SuperChar on steam

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

just the boards channel in game :)

hey guys vote for axes axe to be made on man at arms (you click it at the end)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i12eFiKZdiU

• Advertisement

Sproink

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ridiculous All Random match. Not balanced at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

mayordenis wrote: »

good lord. young males getting ranked at video games = bad gaming experience.

"What Makes a Good Match?

The ultimate goal of automated matchmaking in Dota 2 is for players to enjoy the game. The matchmaker seeks matches with the following properties (listed in no particular order):

1. - The teams are balanced. (Each team has a 50% chance to win.)
    2. - The discrepancy in skill between the most and least skilled player in the match is minimized. This is related to team balance, but not the same thing."

nothing but lies! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭KarmaBaby

BMMachine wrote: »
    good lord. young males getting ranked at video games = bad gaming experience.

"What Makes a Good Match?

The ultimate goal of automated matchmaking in Dota 2 is for players to enjoy the game. The matchmaker seeks matches with the following properties (listed in no particular order):

1. - The teams are balanced. (Each team has a 50% chance to win.)
    2. - The discrepancy in skill between the most and least skilled player in the match is minimized. This is related to team balance, but not the same thing."

nothing but lies! :p

My understanding is that very little in matchmaking will actually change, just that your ranking will become visible and you'll earn bragging rights from your mates, possibly leading to people falling out because they finally find an excuse to stop playing with the guy in their regular 5 stack who can't carry a game to save his life. :)

Your ranking can still be skewed by a lot of factors, like if you're 5 stacking with regs all the time. If you play the role of the sacrificial support in captains mode all the time, but play it well, you'll still end up with a lower ranking that the guy who just plays broken heroes in All Pick.

What they don't seem to have done is factor in your KDA/Winrate with particular heroes in particular game modes compared that the average and use this to calculate your MMR. This would be fairer wouldn't it?

KarmaBaby wrote: »
    My understanding is that very little in matchmaking will actually change, just that your ranking will become visible and you'll earn bragging rights from your mates, possibly leading to people falling out because they finally find an excuse to stop playing with the guy in their regular 5 stack who can't carry a game to save his life. :)

Your ranking can still be skewed by a lot of factors, like if you're 5 stacking with regs all the time. If you play the role of the sacrificial support in captains mode all the time, but play it well, you'll still end up with a lower ranking that the guy who just plays broken heroes in All Pick.

What they don't seem to have done is factor in your KDA/Winrate with particular heroes in particular game modes compared that the average and use this to calculate your MMR. This would be fairer wouldn't it?

there was a mod for HoN back in the day called "TSR" which was true skill rating which factored in things like wards placed and that kinda jazz which seemed relatively accurate, more accurate then the MMR system in the game anyway. One thing though, solo MMR means absolutely nothing as winning and losing is mostly luck. a lot of the best players I played with had ~1750 mmr and really didnt give a crap about that number as it was so easily skewed. it was your performance in pickups and cups that really mattered and how you played with a team. But of course if we joined a public game Jonny '1850mmr' would start giving them crap because they appeared to be lower rated.

long story short, I've never seen anything good come of any of these rating systems. having a high matchmaking rating doesn't get you into the pro scene, thats done differently. What will happen though (as is the case in LoL) is that the unranked matchmaking will become even more of a trollfest than it already is. "im going to go mid with meepo cos this game doesnt count" and so forth. But a lot of people who grind those numbers won't like acknowledging that and will attach more value to them than they are actually worth. believe me, i was around 1850mmr in HoN and it meant absolutely nothing when you and your team are getting slapped around by some 1700 'noobs' in a cup :p
    but a lot of sugared up males are going to regularly have freak outs in their ranked game because someone else is going mid and blablabla reported blabla making for a horrible gaming experience

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

but a lot of sugared up males are going to regularly have freak outs in their ranked game because someone else is going mid and blablabla reported blabla making for a horrible gaming experience

But is this ranking stat going to be publicly visible?

grizzly wrote: »

"Your ranked MMR is visible only to you and your friends. The MMR used for normal matchmaking is not visible."

Sounds good to me

grizzly wrote: »

nope. wont matter though, will still cause people to go bananas. also, I imagine snooping sites will publish MMR

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

also, I imagine snooping sites will publish MMR

How would they do that?

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    How would they do that?

get a hold of the algorithm that forms the MMR system and apply it to each player or something. i dunno, im not the most technical minded :p how do sites like LoLking and dotabuff do it?

Legion Commander is coming in the Frostivus update!

Also confirmed is:
    Friend spectacting - you can view tournament games your friend is viewing even if you don't own a pass
    Ranked MM - As discussed already
    Updated Tutorial - Which will delve deeper into items for beginners
    Recruiting - Recruiting a friend to Dota 2 earns you battle bonus

I personally cannot wait to see Duels again :D

Here's a detailed list of updates:

User Interface
    Added option to display the Minimap on the right side of the screen. Some HUD skins may have issues in this mode
    The drafter is now indicated when spectating a CM or CD game.
    Fixed a case where shop items would get stuck on the screen after dragging
    Play a sound when a teammates puts an item into your hero's inventory. eg when giving a Tango charge
    Fixed a case where health and mana bars would be invisible at the beginning of a match
    Select All Other Units hotkey now also selects other units like Plague and Serpent Wards
    Added captions in Korean.

Community
    You now get an abandon if one of your party members abandons. A party abandon on its own cannot put you into low priority.
    Added message indicating that players must complete a low-priority match with players on both sides to decrement their low-priority penalty count
    Adjusted the amount of XP required for Dota Profile levels 2 thru 7 (your in-profile XP bar might be a little off until you finish a game)
    Game modes are now unlocked as you progress through levels

6.79c Gameplay Update
    Hand of Midas recipe cost increased from 1400 to 1550
    Ancestral Spirit vision reduced from 600 to 450
    Ancestral Spirit damage reduced from 80/120/160/200 to 60/100/140/180
    Plague Wards night vision reduced from 1200 to 800
    Venomancer base movement speed reduced from 290 to 285
    Fixed Power Cogs knockback aoe being too big
    Fixed Whirling Death not restoring enough HP after the debuff wears off
    Necronomicon night vision from 1300/1400/1500 to 800
    Necronomicon gold bounty increased from 100 to 100/125/150 (per unit)
    Magnetic Grip cast range reduced from 1400 to 1100
    Boulder Smash silence duration reduced from 5 to 3.5/4/4.5/5
    Boulder Smash unit knockback range rescaled from 800 to 500/600/700/800
    Fixed Stone Remnant counting as a spell (for purposes of Curse of the Silent, Magic Stick, etc)
    Dueling units cannot be disarmed or Force Staffed away
    Visage movement speed reduced from 295 to 290
    Crystal Maiden base Intelligence reduced from 21 to 19 (same base damage as before)
    Added Slark to CM
    Added Huskar in CM

Visuals
    Orchid - Added fx for damage pop at the end of orchid, and additional effects if unit dies to orchid damage.
    Fixed projected texture and screenshake render types that were drawing to the portrait also effecting the world, fixes bug with Enigma darkness rendering from his portrait in the world.
    Fixed some Bounty Hunter items which weren't properly showing his Jinada effects.

Economy
    Players now receive a series of presents as they proceed through the early levels of the game. Each present contains some free items to use.
    Automatically unlock and select item styles that are unlocked by inscribed gems reaching a certain value
    Fixed armory preview of items not showing the correct style

Workshop
    Heroes updated or newly enabled on the workshop - Earth Spirit, Ember Spirit, Storm Spirit, Gyrocopter, Pudge

Showcase View
    Hide Pause panel in Showcase View.
    Fixed a bug where dragging could select another follow unit.

Slark being added to CM is going to wreck it for a while. That hero is so f**king broken. He really forces your hand in terms of team selection. Huskar is easier to deal with but he's just sooooo booooring.

The nerf to the hand of Midas and Necrobook is as a result of the pro teams exploiting their power in competition, Bit of a pain in the hole for the smart players in pubs. And a double blow for Crystal Maiden players that like to jungle her now that her intelligence is reduced.

• Advertisement

New even wraith night is out!
    get a hold of the algorithm that forms the MMR system and apply it to each player or something. i dunno, im not the most technical minded :p how do sites like LoLking and dotabuff do it?

Dotabuff cant do it, it was removed a long time ago. No site will be able to.

They have completed removed SK?!!?!?

SOON I WILL CHOOSE A QUEEN?!!?

This is all very upsetting. It feels like yesterday that I went 0-16 as jungle SK as a Dire Nightstalker ran rampant while out of principle I rang back to my jungle to face certain death as the Russian on my team had forced me there.

I'm going to have a 20 second silence for SK at my desk :(

They have completed removed SK?!!?!?

SOON I WILL CHOOSE A QUEEN?!!?

This is all very upsetting. It feels like yesterday that I went 0-16 as jungle SK as a Dire Nightstalker ran rampant while out of principle I rang back to my jungle to face certain death as the Russian on my team had forced me there.

I'm going to have a 20 second silence for SK at my desk :(

It was for a copyright infringement, but they said it was for "ceremonial" reasons so I guess they're trying to develop some kind of back-story for his replacement. Or maybe he came back to the land of the living and had a sex change to become Legion.

Queen of Pain could be removed from the game next.

EDIT: Ah right, he's being resurrected as Wraith. http://www.dotacinema.com/news/frostivus-day-3-patch-121213-wraith-night

Dotabuff cant do it, it was removed a long time ago. No site will be able to.

maybe. one might come along though.
    ----

still, ranked matchmaking is gaming poison. if chasing meaningless numbers and stats featuring young, angry males in games where you are locked into your team and punished if you leave / refuse to be trolled is your thing, go for it. its your time and your illusion of skill

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

----
    young, angry males in games where you are locked into your team and punished if you leave / refuse to be trolled is your thing, go for it. its your time and your illusion of skill

This is wonderfully hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ibDennis

Hi guys, new to boards but not new to dota.

average player at best, but i do love the game(at times:-))

hope you dont mind if i join up here

welcome aboard man!

----

still, ranked matchmaking is gaming poison. if chasing meaningless numbers and stats featuring young, angry males in games where you are locked into your team and punished if you leave / refuse to be trolled is your thing, go for it. its your time and your illusion of skill

stfu noob!

• Advertisement

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    This is wonderfully hypocritical.

probably a little hypocritical alright :)

Advertisement