Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

BittaTrig - i would say the answer is more games, bots are ok for learning the mechanics of the game, but cant be compared to playing vs humans. i play a lot of bot games so i know what i'm taking about.

Attitude is also very important, to improve you have to be aware of the mistakes you are making (you are making lots of them), for that i recommend watching your own replays.

i found this thread on the playdota forums to be a goldmine of tips. (i miss that thread, it was months of great entertainment and i learned stuff too!)

my MMR is around 2500 and i have around 2000 hours of dota, only 450 matches tho. I wouldn't consider myself a noob, nor a good player.

LordChessington-i would say you did really well in that game judging from the XP chart (yoyoed between dire/radiant), your LD and LS did not perform as they should have, to me , your teams 1 core OD is vastly outmatched by the dual core of Luna/AM, plus your team had no team utility items mech/pipe/drums. having said all that i would refer you to the paragraph above and note what i think of my own level of knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭BittaTrig

Justice wrote: »
    BittaTrig - i would say the answer is more games, bots are ok for learning the mechanics of the game, but cant be compared to playing vs humans. i play a lot of bot games so i know what i'm taking about.

Attitude is also very important, to improve you have to be aware of the mistakes you are making (you are making lots of them), for that i recommend watching your own replays.

i found this thread on the playdota forums to be a goldmine of tips. (i miss that thread, it was months of great entertainment and i learned stuff too!)

my MMR is around 2500 and i have around 2000 hours of dota, only 450 matches tho. I wouldn't consider myself a noob, nor a good player.

Sound lad. That's actually pretty damn interesting, ;) Let's hope my mate at 3200 can get me out of the "trench". I forgot to mention the MMR i have is team MMR. I want to be able to know how to "counter" enemy picks before I go solo :D

I don't think it comes down to playing public games ( For me at least i've played 660+), I mean I do well in "Almost" every game I play. I think it's mainly my inability to co-operate with team mates most of the time,

Here's my dotabuff: http://dotabuff.com/players/86975722

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

BittaTrig wrote: »
    Hay lads, New face here.. Just asking about improving.. MMR doesn't mean squat to me (Mainly because it's 1700 ) but I know i'm better than that

Abandoning this attitude will be a fast step towards improving. The idea that you're far better than your MMR or that you're in the "trench" or whatever is one of the main things that limits players from getting better.

Go into games with an open mind and be prepared to listen to your teammates (disagreeing with them is fine as long as you're listening in the first place) rather than going in with the attitude that you're way better than them and your MMR has somehow been miscalculated.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Abandoning this attitude will be a fast step towards improving. The idea that you're far better than your MMR or that you're in the "trench" or whatever is one of the main things that limits players from getting better.
    All i'm saying is that i think the MMR system is a bit unfair. I think it could be better structured tbh. I get that for some people they can individually carry the game for their team but that's a hard thing to constantly do :D
    Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Go into games with an open mind and be prepared to listen to your teammates (disagreeing with them is fine as long as you're listening in the first place) rather than going in with the attitude that you're way better than them and your MMR has somehow been miscalculated.

I wouldn't say that I'm WAY better. By no means at all. All i'm saying is that I can improve it. I'm not one of these scrubs who blame the rest of their team for losing games. It's all about communication but most of the time I find it hard to win games when you play with people who yolo into the enemy team.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You will find the same thing happens on the other team at that level, and consistently when people make new accounts they end up at the same MMR, you have to focus on why what you did wrong in each game and improve, others dont really matter.

• Advertisement

BittaTrig.
    i could be lambasted here, but (a very big IMO) communication in game is overrated. it all comes down to what you think you can do with your hero in any given situation. as a carry your priorities are:

1. not to die.
    2. get as much gold as possible.
    3. build your hero to exploit your strengths or exploit enemy weakness.
    4. destroy the ancient.

if your team make stupid decisions, you have to make the call to leave em to it. at our level of play, their team will make equally stupid decisions and you must be ready to capitalize on them. if your dead you cant. hero kills are not what wins the game. i think carries on our level of play find that the most difficult to come to turns with.

i hate loosing games where i have a carry on 30-2 kd but left buildings untouched, and we end up losing becuase in late game all it takes is 1 mistake from any 1 player to have an unstoppable push win the game.

i play support mostly so my priorities are not the same.
    but if you want tips here's mine:
    pick 3/4 carries and concetrate on them, i suggest lycan, very independent, can win game by himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

BittaTrig wrote: »
    my mate at 3200 can get me out of the "trench"

The trench continues way past 3200 !

Another even worse trench exists between 4000-4500, which is actually really funny.

While there are alot of fantastic players who are skilled all round and can play the entire hero pool to a competent level, I think MMR in dota is a strange thing, I know people who have played the same hero ad nasuem to grind their MMR 2000 points, and fail hard while playing any other hero/roles.

In general you come across 2 stereotypes of players alot, one as annoying as the other

1. People with high individual skill, good at winning lanes, farming etc but are **** at teamplay and decision making, as such will find it hard to progress as at this MMR where one person alone cannot carry you. These are generally your ragers and flamers when the game starts going bad

2. People with good teamplay and concept of game progression but lack individual skills like farming and laning (The person who thinks they know exactly what SHOULD happening, and indeed might be right at times), will instapick support and have a sense of grandeur all game, often found saying things like " GG antimage 30 mins no items ""I bought all wards and chick and you still lost GG", when they themselves are 0/10 and cannot farm for **** when they pick a carry / mid once in a blue moon.

Took me longer than I would like to figure out I am closer to the latter category,

That being said I never play solo anymore, Playing TRMM with friends above 4500 the difference is very apparent, than again that might just be playing against 5 stacks

I would honestly just play for fun until you are familiar with the entire hero pool and can play each role well. Don't worry about your MMR, it will increase naturally as you improve

GO_Bear wrote: »
    I would honestly just play for fun until you are familiar with the entire hero pool and can play each role well. Don't worry about your MMR, it will increase naturally as you improve

Funny you mention that, When i started playing dota i only played with friends, It literally took me into the deep end of dota.. Playing aginst high skill players at lvl 1-10 isn't exactly fun i'll tell you, but i learned faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,575 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I love ARDM. I would play it exclusively except my mates don't feel so good about it.

Maybe one reason why I love it is cos everybody else is so terrible with it. If you get lucky with your hero, you can end up carrying the team.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

That is the biggest XP swing I've ever seen.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't believe it. It's still buggy. There's a reason why it's still not properly available.

I suppose it's good that the XPM doesn't count to dotabuff, I've seen people with over 3000 XPM after a game of ARDM lol

I had a game last night that was close for the first 20/25 mins,
    but then our team clicked and they fell to pieces,
    producing a cliff like XP graph. it was a good 10 mins.

i like to think it was my mirana ult and agressive warding which turned the tide, but tbh i was a bit meh.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

amazing!

It's refreshing to see you happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

KarmaBaby wrote: »
    I have no idea how fantasy leagues work, but I set one up to get the points in my compendium. If anyone wants to join it, the ID is 199046. Password: karma. Alternatively maybe you can point me to a better one that has a slot open.

Hi, I just joined this. Only myself and you in it though, anyone else going to join?

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭KarmaBaby

So I changed servers to EU east. (Living in Istanbul now), but this complete troll ends up in the same game as me again. Had him muted so I should have been able to dodge him. Only plays Slardar and Razor. Can't play either. Builds them exactly the same way every game. complete feeding station. Only reason we won as because of an enemy DC. Absolute cancer of a player.

http://dotabuff.com/players/32504495

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

So I changed servers to EU east. (Living in Istanbul now), but this complete troll ends up in the same game as me again. Had him muted so I should have been able to dodge him. Only plays Slardar and Razor. Can't play either. Builds them exactly the same way every game. complete feeding station. Only reason we won as because of an enemy DC. Absolute cancer of a player.

http://dotabuff.com/players/32504495

how are you getting matched with him? his win % is 45.89 and yours is 50.68. how the hell is the matchmaking going "yeah, these teams are even. off you go!"

I remember in HoN it would always try and get people in and around the same mmr. if there was a big difference between 2 guys on opposing teams then what would happen is that the good player would just feed off the bad player. this was pretty rare though and a lot of people would force a remake by d/c'ing if the teams werent balanced as the MMR was visible on everyone. the difference there is ludicrous though, I have no idea how matchmaking is giving that the ok. maybe something to do with forcing shorter queue times?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Your MMR has nothing to do with your winrate percentage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭KarmaBaby

BMMachine wrote: »
    how are you getting matched with him? his win % is 45.89 and yours is 50.68. how the hell is the matchmaking going "yeah, these teams are even. off you go!"

I remember in HoN it would always try and get people in and around the same mmr. if there was a big difference between 2 guys on opposing teams then what would happen is that the good player would just feed off the bad player. this was pretty rare though and a lot of people would force a remake by d/c'ing if the teams werent balanced as the MMR was visible on everyone. the difference there is ludicrous though, I have no idea how matchmaking is giving that the ok. maybe something to do with forcing shorter queue times?

My MMR is dogsh1t. That's why I keep getting matched with him.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

My MMR is dogsh1t. That's why I keep getting matched with him.

You keep saying its dog**** but you haven't told us what it is yet :P

He's learning how to play sniper now

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GO_Bear

52245798.jpg

^^ I never noticed his Razor builds until now. Sweet divine jaysus.

Can anyone offer some insight on how to shut down a meepo? In this game, we focused on him and killed him 15 times, but he still destroyed us.

For a guy who played Slardar 450 times out of 660 total games his builds are terrible.

For meepo, any single target burst heroes really, and some stuns/silences to be sure of the kills would be cool :P

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Earthshaker says hello

Kunkka wrote: »
    Earthshaker says hello

Over 4 seconds of disable right there and a kickass ult to boot against him.

About Meepo; I was Leshrac and was always timing my stun for when he netted and poofed (got most Meepos most of the time) and we had a fed Riki, but it was the huge amount of XP he got. I'm guessing he just constantly jungled and laned to outlevel us despite being dead half the time. Would we just have to constantly roam both jungles to kill him?

We won most teamfights and had most territory, but got caught out of position on one teamfight, wiped, and he just pushed through mid to our ancients.

• Advertisement

a good support vs meepo is anyone with good lockdown, bane, es, jakario, ss.

meepo has high magic resistance so bursting him will need more than 1 hero.
    hex is a good item vs him as you can hex one of his meepos, but your tree has a radiance, ive not seen that before.
    Its a tough nut to swallow, but collectively your team threw that game imo. objective gaming, your total team tower damage is just above SS on their team.

meepo is great late game becuase of the reduction in his death timer (33% less). it looks like the radiants got some pick offs on ye late game and meepo steam rolled your base. meepo is scarier than tiny in terms of dps to buildings.

Advertisement