Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

coming to LAN with me ye big feeder?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Kunkka wrote: »
    Wow

Delighted for them, the bastids

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

coming to LAN with me ye big feeder?

I'd love to pal I haven't been on much at all lately due to studying and moving house. I'm nearly 100% sure I have a wedding that weekend but will let ye know

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

cool let me know man, don't worry about not playing or anything, we don't need any of that craic beforehand :D

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Justice

This was a comeback game, Match Link, of not quite epic proportions, we did lose all our lanes and it looked grim at the 15 min mark.

the sharp swing at around the 33rd minute is when there weaver dropped his rapier after we 5 man wiped them in the rosh pit. sniper picked it up (but not shown in dotabuff? bug?)

we had spent the previous 5 minutes dodging fights after someone on our team spotted the rapier in weavers inventory.

it still took a couple of close team fights and our first coordinated push was for the throne at the 45th minute. tense game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭KarmaBaby

MMR increased by 500 in two weeks. Did Volvo fix something?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Mines gone up a bit too but it's just the fact (for me anyway) that I pick the same old hero and stomp because he's strong in current meta. I hope it changes drastically and we see some more heroes come to the fray (but not push back current ones either). Always very delicate but I think they can pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

I've gone up around 500 or so in the last 3 weeks too. Went on a good run of about 8/9 games I think.... I tend to pick one of the core roles and do my best to be a ****. At the 4500 level which is average it's easy to define a game by yourself if you pick keen and don't feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Have been picking Axe, Necro & Zeus a lot lately, have to say they are a lot of fun.

Especially Axe running in behind the 2nd and 3rd creep waves for that early tranquil boots nab.

Necro is harder to fit into a team so depends on enemy picks. Heart stopper radius is so cruel. Zeus is such a great damage dealer and talking like a God in chat is always fun. "FEEL MY WRATH MORTALS." /feedtopudge

Zeus is a great hero. I have something like an 80% winrate with him in all games I think. Right lads, you fight and wear out their BKB's, I'll refresh aghs ult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I lost 700 in the last few days so that explains why everyone else has gone up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Interesting new changes to the bot AI to make them more lifelike
    Bot updates
    Bots now report you for offensive language each time they lose
    Bots will now decide on which lane you can have based on number of games played
    Bots now have the capability to fountain camp

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I lost 700 in the last few days so that explains why everyone else has gone up :pac:

I don't know about everyone else but in my bracket its solely down to the fact that it's a set number of heroes that perform well in the meta. I can no longer play heroes I enjoy because I am destined to lose to push strats etc. I don't know if that's your case but it is to an extent in mine. I'm playing heroes I find mundane and winning games.

Just holding my baited breath for 6.82 now.

6.82 don't touch Shaman, DP or Razor!!!

Maybe they should add Brood to CM now, could create the space needed to stop the early deathball gaming that going on.

Don't mind Brewmasters ult at all, maybe his dodge needs a nerf.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

Don't mind Brewmasters ult at all, maybe his dodge needs a nerf.

this.

i dont play brewmaster,

but his passive is op
    Dodge + crit chance,
    (lvl4 25% and 25%)

i dont think there are any other hero skills which give you both, plus it gives automatic dodge/crit every 10 sec.
    brews crit is better than CK's 3rd skill, a constant 10% at all levels (max dmg * 3 at lvl 4)
    Jugg does same crit damage, but higher chance.

he's like a poormans PA (or void to lesser extent), both of whom have seperate skills for dodge/evasion and for crit/bash.

im obviously wrong in my theorycrafting becuase i can count on 1 hand the number of position 1 brewmasters ive seen, and most of those are probably from a chinesse team (im thinking ig.int used run this?).

Can anyone suggest a good pugna mid build? I'm complete fail with that hero.

KarmaBaby wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest a good pugna mid build? I'm complete fail with that hero.

Bottle, treads (tread switching is insane on him), mek is generally a good start. He's pretty versatile on items so just get whatever works for the game (necro, sheep, bkb, atos, scepter, whatever utility item is needed).

Positioning is vital on him, that's the main thing.

Bottle, treads (tread switching is insane on him), mek is generally a good start. He's pretty versatile on items so just get whatever works for the game (necro, sheep, bkb, atos, scepter, whatever utility item is needed).

I tend to fall off with him so hard after 30 minutes and just start feeding.

I tend to fall off with him so hard after 30 minutes and just start feeding.

• Advertisement

Well, yeah, he's a pushing hero, you want to try and end the game fairly fast.

I always aim for all T1s down by 10 minutes with him on board and then choke out enemy jungle spaces and continue the push. Some people play too defensively for my liking.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

if you are going lategame with pugna (like, you might be able to tell on the 20 minute mark) then either going for a bkb with aghs or straight for a scythe is a good idea. this is after treads bottle mek of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Its funny when a team picks as badly as this. Carry CM ftw

Its funny when a team picks as badly as this. Carry CM ftw

Jeez that is hilarious picking from the enemy team.

With Pugna, every chance you get when creeps are pushed up, start imploding that tower. TP to next lane, rinse/repeat. Your team have more ganking ability now that the T1s are gone and more gold to spend on goodies. I've seen the dagon build for early/mid game trolling and it can work a treat if they have a decent amount of squishys and if they are playing out of position a lot you can jump on the chance of eliminating one of them before a fight starts.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/871298159

Ok another Naga teamfight ult if 4/5 man stacks want to try. Sole purpose was to use Naga for her ult. Before this would happen I would try static link someone to zap their damage (yes this works during Naga ult!), usually the bear/sniper are decent targets. Sand king lines up his ult along with Death Prophet and Razor. Sven lines up his stun if they have bad positioning.

The teamfights didn't last more than 3-5 seconds usually. We weren't doing well for the first 20 minutes due to bad teamplay/enemy split pushing caused us to split aswell but we decided to go straight down the middle which forced team fights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

So I'm totally new to Dota 2 and MOBA's in general I've played a few games online without knowing what I was doing at all and I'm currently doing the training missions for the 2nd time. The amount of characters to learn how to play seems a bit daunting but I would like to make a proper go of it. Any advice on where I should go from here?

kevovek wrote: »
    So I'm totally new to Dota 2 and MOBA's in general I've played a few games online without knowing what I was doing at all and I'm currently doing the training missions for the 2nd time. The amount of characters to learn how to play seems a bit daunting but I would like to make a proper go of it. Any advice on where I should go from here?

Finish off the tutorial missions, then try a few AI bot games. Have a look through the hero list, pick about 5 that interest you, look them up on youtube, watch how people play the hero, look up and read through guides on them. Heroes like Sniper, Wraith King, Viper, Lich, Warlock etc

It's extremely daunting, it's a huge learning curve but it's such a great game, I've been hooked for 3/4 years now.

Once you can beat the bots on unfair difficulty a few times and you feel bit more confident, try some real games on your own, you might be overwhelmed by the increase in skill but it's the only proper way to learn. Few games under the belt and you will get better.

Plus boards have a teamspeak server you can go on, chat to anyone there and you can get a game going with a team.

• Advertisement

welcome Kevovek,

i recommend spending time Here, lots of good guides etc.

pick 2 or 3 heros, which suit your style of play, learn those heros.

learning Dota is a long road , dont expect too much quickly.

Advertisement