Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DotA 2 General Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Can't recommend playing with others enough. When I started playing, two of my mates had about 3 months on me and they were able to tell me what to do and where to go on skype. I didn't listen to them enough. All the small trivial things they were teaching me eventually sunk in after I repeatedly died under silly circumstances.

Don't worry about the amount of heroes for now. Focus on a handful of heroes, as the basic mechanics need more attention. Things such as last hitting/denying in the early game will eventually have a massive impact on the later game. If you want to play online, play Least Played and Limited Heroes.

I'm on from 9 this evening, so gimme a shout if you want a game or two while using skype. I haven't played with anyone on this forum, but most here know loads more than me as I've learned lots from just lurking.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Playing alone brings out the worst in people and indeed yourself. Play with others, a few bot games to get the hang of a few heroes before jumping into the deep end :)

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

Just don't play like Paul and you'll be ok. He loves to feed especially on Chaos Knight :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

Kunkka wrote: »
    Just don't play like Paul and you'll be ok. He loves to feed especially on Chaos Knight :D

I don't get it! but hopefully someday I will understand.
    Can't recommend playing with others enough. When I started playing, two of my mates had about 3 months on me and they were able to tell me what to do and where to go on skype. I didn't listen to them enough. All the small trivial things they were teaching me eventually sunk in after I repeatedly died under silly circumstances.

Don't worry about the amount of heroes for now. Focus on a handful of heroes, as the basic mechanics need more attention. Things such as last hitting/denying in the early game will eventually have a massive impact on the later game. If you want to play online, play Least Played and Limited Heroes.

I'm on from 9 this evening, so gimme a shout if you want a game or two while using skype. I haven't played with anyone on this forum, but most here know loads more than me as I've learned lots from just lurking.

Thanks I'd definitely be interested in a game or two if your on later

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

Techies are here!!!!

Zeus smites him.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/874443696

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Never mind techies that entire team was ****.

And nothing but complains over lack of balance patch, which most of us knew wasn't coming anyway.

Techies are ruining everything lol. Radiance in 15 minutes.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/874565491

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

38% win rate.

well thats -ap out the window

42 now, give it time and it'll level out.

42 now, give it time and it'll level out.

unlikely. i remember stat tracks from garena which had him at ~40%
    thing is with him, and ive heard this a lot, is that techies will make certain players very happy and others very unhappy

• Advertisement

I should move to China :p

interview with EE

"I saw you have 7k mmr, what the hell? You have been laddering here? What's different between China and NA server?

At home I have to, at the very beginning of the game, I have to make sure everyone is calm cause everyone calls their lanes and randoms and does stupid **** and picks stupid heroes and yells each other. That happens probably in 70% of the games. And then every game I have to pause, so that my teammates know how to cast their spells properly. Cause they don't like follow up or they go afk or something. In China, I don't need to say anything. I don't use voice, I say nothing and I win more."

http://www.liquiddota.com/forum/dota-2-general/466445-c9eternalenvy-interview-at-wec-i-really-dont-like-how-xiao8-retired

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

best game ever

check out this game we lost, pretty solid items with void supporting cm (he only got hyper at the end)

cBibpqW.png

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Relatively new to this been playing on and off for the past couple of months just getting the basics down but kind of getting sick of playing solo is there any kind of meetup spot or group where yous all get together to get a few games in?

IgsTer wrote: »
    Relatively new to this been playing on and off for the past couple of months just getting the basics down but kind of getting sick of playing solo is there any kind of meetup spot or group where yous all get together to get a few games in?

Yeah iggy about 8-10+ of us on every night on boards.ie TS

There's also a boards.ie IRC chat ingame with about 50+ active players Ireland curiously enough, not so many players :)

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Ah cool cheers cherry must have had the old TS IP will have to hop on that next time i am on.

Ha is this the chat window on the main menu page when you open up the game? Have searched for boards.IE but the room only has 1 other person in it.

BTW ive only played a handful of matches against real players have been mainly playing bot matches. Yous lads ok with letting a noob join in? :o

Not at all, the more the merrier. I had a friend play for the first time a few days ago, was fun nailing down bots :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

Looking for an irish clan on DOTA2. been playing last few weeks. would be nice to be in a team though=)

Dota is much better as a stacked team game than going solo. Must pop onto the TS sometime!

I went with the Dagon build for Necro someone said to do few posts back, success!

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/886181021

40 matches with Necro now with 70% winrate, not too shabby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

85 min game trying to high ground a techies, refresher silencer, refresher tide, dark seer with a 6 slot void 6 slot refresher doom 5 slot invoker + clock. Nightmares.

Really hard to fight against these after they paused and picked after the time elapsed. Really really annoying push strat. Won every teamfight but it didn't matter, someone was always trading a tower in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

What in the name of god were both teams' lanes? :pac:

Don't ask

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    What in the name of god were both teams' lanes? :pac:

If I had to sort these lanes I'd have;

Radiant
    DP mid
    Brood Offlane
    NP Jungle
    LS and Cent safelane

Dire
    Tinker Mid
    BB Offlane
    BS farming Safe with support from Phoenix
    Roaming NS

It was:

Brood mid
    NP Jungle
    LS Safe Lane
    DP and Cent Offlane

Tinker Mid
    BB safelane with NS
    Phoenix and BS offlane

Commence BS feed, Tinker failing to level up march and losing mid t1 and t2 by 5 minutes (only me defending). 10 minutes we were losing racks to solo brood (again only me defending) while NP and DP pushed down all T1s and T2s and BS continuing to feed, Tinker continuing to refuse to level march. We won every single teamfight thereafter but damage was done and for every fight we won we lost a tower elsewhere so it didn't matter what we did in the end.

i was reading an article, i forget where, think it might have been linked from twitter, about how the matchmaking works and i finally understand exactly the problem.
    In HoN, before matchmaking, you could see each players stats and mmr. if you had a 1700 guy on one side and a 1500 guy on the other then clicked the balance button it would auto adjust the numbers. the game of course wouldnt be even as the more balanced team would win, but this is basically what dota does. the game basically goes "find a game the fastest way possible with the numbers matching" so you get these monstrously unfair teams as if you happen to land with 2 low players when you are a high player you will lose to the team of medium players as they have less weak links. thats why its possible to have so many games where its just over from the get go. you can see the advantage one team has extremely clearly - things such as them warding the jungle and smoke ganking before the horn sounds while the other guys are static in base. the low standards of most players also doesn't help.
    automated matchmaking systems have been terrible since their inception. its impossible to return to the lobby system now though as (quite amazingly) it would be too complicated for the players. valve i reckon also wants to avoid things like ip sniffers to kick the russians, which were prevalent in WC3. personally i blame xbox live :p

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭KarmaBaby

Second week in a row I should have been in a Dotacinema headshot video and wasn't. ****ing BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

KarmaBaby wrote: »
    Second week in a row I should have been in a Dotacinema headshot video and wasn't. ****ing BS.

Sorry I'm the only Irish player to grace the Dota Cinema top 50 plays of all time.... #BestShakerEU :p

Kunkka wrote: »
    Sorry I'm the only Irish player to grace the Dota Cinema top 50 plays of all time.... #BestShakerEU :p

My clockwork flares never miss a kill (kill steal) opportunity.

BMMachine wrote: »
    i was reading an article, i forget where, think it might have been linked from twitter, about how the matchmaking works and i finally understand exactly the problem.
    In HoN, before matchmaking, you could see each players stats and mmr. if you had a 1700 guy on one side and a 1500 guy on the other then clicked the balance button it would auto adjust the numbers. the game of course wouldnt be even as the more balanced team would win, but this is basically what dota does. the game basically goes "find a game the fastest way possible with the numbers matching" so you get these monstrously unfair teams as if you happen to land with 2 low players when you are a high player you will lose to the team of medium players as they have less weak links. thats why its possible to have so many games where its just over from the get go. you can see the advantage one team has extremely clearly - things such as them warding the jungle and smoke ganking before the horn sounds while the other guys are static in base. the low standards of most players also doesn't help.
    automated matchmaking systems have been terrible since their inception. its impossible to return to the lobby system now though as (quite amazingly) it would be too complicated for the players. valve i reckon also wants to avoid things like ip sniffers to kick the russians, which were prevalent in WC3. personally i blame xbox live :p

I've had the shadow shaman from this game on my mute list for some time but I keep getting drafted with or against him. Failed to dodge him last time around and of course he fed again. I don't understand how we can be in the same mmr bracket, although I'm guessing his is on the way down.

http://www.dotabuff.com/matches/909731812

I think losing streaks are more down to variance and a lot of other factors than imbalanced teams. Some days you get to play with guys that are generally at the same level as you, but you're just unlucky enough to get them on the day that they're all drunk or in the mood for trolling. Or you consistently get paired with players that have absolutely no interest in counter drafting and pick essentially to lose.

There are some players that have been running lucky for long periods. I can't believe this guy can have won more than 50% of his games and be on the same mmr as me when the KDA for all of his most played heroes is so terrible. The winrates make very little sense. He essentially plays support 90% of the time, feeds a lot and contributes little in terms of kills, but is lucky enough have his ass carried most of the time.

http://www.dotabuff.com/players/125234481

• Advertisement

exactly. Its kind of unbelievable how matchmaking thinks some games are balanced. I gave up on friday there as I think we are still on the post-TI4 and techies wave, I'll still play if any of my old team mates need a 5th or something but public play is impossible for me to have fun with.
    I think the final straw was playing random draft and we went a kinda push lineup... then the last pick is a weaver who insists on going mid (we had a pugna). he was against an LC, i dewarded the sentry for him but all he did was feed and sit there going "ez mid" "ez team" and "midirino". so of course LC gets an early blink and goes around winning the game and I can't convince the team to carry tp scrolls. This was after going on a run of 6 games, all of which ended in about 10 - 15 minutes (winning and losing) due to massive imbalance. and that massive imbalance has been the theme for the past month.
    Very tired of the attitude of the public players which is at the worst state its ever been in as far as I'm concerned. The matchmaking has been an absolute comedy show for a while now and is only getting worse, I imagine this is because there is now a massive trench in normals. I refuse to be dragged down to their utterly moronic level so best not play :) besides my mates have started playing Strife which is noobed up LoL and kinda fun, very easy though (you get your own personal unkillable courier, no wards, shared lane gold from last hits.. stuff like that) so I'll play that for a while and hope dota gets better or they finally get some better Matchmaking algorithms

Advertisement