Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which instrument?

Options
  • 02-11-2011 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

So, I recently decided to learn either the violin or the cello, for no reason other than I like the sound of them.

I did music in school but didn't devote much time to it because of other commitments which were relevant to what I wanted to study afterwards, and now I want to do it again, this time putting a little more effort into it.

I can play the guitar a little, but again, I was trying to learn that and study crazy subjects for my Leaving Cert and I had athletics, basketball etc. and just couldn't give it the time it needed.

I have the time now, but my problem is, I'm not sure which to go for. I think I would prefer the cello, but many friends and relatives have pointed out I may end up not liking it when I start playing, or I may simply be no good at it, and a cello is a lot of expense to go to only to end up not using it, whereas a violin would be less expensive a mistake, if that makes sense.

Any advice?

Also, how easy are lessons to find? I could go to lessons in either Cavan or Meath, but I'm not finding many people here offering lessons in those areas, and Google isn't terribly helpful either.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I'd be inclined to recommend the cello, especially since you're leaning that way anyway. Cellos aren't necessarily more expensive than violins, and the violin is notoriously tricky to learn. The cello is at least a bit forgiving; with rhe violin, it's generally going to be a couple of years before you start making a good sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭petebricquette

I'd be inclined to recommend the cello, especially since you're leaning that way anyway. Cellos aren't necessarily more expensive than violins, and the violin is notoriously tricky to learn. The cello is at least a bit forgiving; with rhe violin, it's generally going to be a couple of years before you start making a good sound.

I'd agree with you there. The cello is a beautiful instrument on top of all that. A lot of orchestral players I know would choose that as their instrument (if they weren't already playing what they got in with). I'd suggest, OP, listening to a few pieces written for both instruments and figure out which you would really like to play someday.

For example, have a look at Elgar's Cello Concerto then maybe listen to Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto. Any concerti for either instrument really will give you a good idea of what you want yourself to sound like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dunjabisex

I'm playing cello,and I can tell you,it's great!if you play it,you're not gonna reggret ;) it is more expensive but it's much more beautifull then violin...unleast for my opinion...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I play the cello.... and while I love it, I wish I had learnt a more portable instrument! I can't take it on planes, buses, trains without a big load of hassle, and it takes up the whole car.

Plus, the violin seems like a much more sociable instrument. People whip them out in pubs and play trad stuff, not really possible with the cello.

Advertisement