Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refund tenant? Some, all or nothing?

Options
  • 02-11-2011 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

I have a tenant who is breaking the 12 month fixed-term lease 2 months early. They are requesting their deposit back, and I am open to hear people's opinion.

They were on rent allowance. They are moving because they were caught by social welfare, they didn't declare the husband was living there, & he was working.

They had some issues with the property, which they are claiming that I broke the lease because I didn't fix them. Here's what it was;
    - the microwave broke, I got it replaced after 3 weeks
    - one shower had a drainage problem, it was clogged, or blocked. I asked them if it might just be something stuck, and to try some drain cleaner. That didn't work and admittedly I have not yet got a plumber out. This has gone on over 1-2 months, but they didn't seem to really be bothered about it, so I have let it slide.

I have not yet inspected the property, they don't move out until end of next week, and I don't plan to give them a decision on the deposit until I've inspected it, they are out, and I have the keys.

Finding a tenant costs nearly a month's rent, plus PRTB cost & cleaning costs.

Any opinions on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Keep deposit, you're probably well within your rights to chase them for the remaining two months. In reality, they won't be able to pay this, so prob best to cut your losses and get in new tenants asap.

Some info here on retaining deposits that you can direct them at.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You should have followed up on the drain due to the fact it would cause damage to your own place plus it's just common courtesy.

You are entitled to the deposit so well able to keep it.

Things to bear in mind.

• Check the bills are all paid up (electric,bin,gas,phone, etc..)
    • They will be angry if you keep a deposit, do not go on your own
    • Change the locks after they leave(do this every time a tenant moves)
    • Do not rush the inspection, it takes time
    Effectively they were stealing money and are now probably going to be made pay it back so expect them to be upset when they lose their deposit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Leaving the tenancy early notwithstanding, I wouldn't be handing keys to any landlord until they'd inspected the property and made their intentions clear on the deposit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Bambi wrote: »
    Leaving the tenancy early notwithstanding, I wouldn't be handing keys to any landlord until they'd inspected the property and made their intentions clear on the deposit

Exactly as Bambi says. And preferably view the property a few days, at least, before the tenants leave and advise of them the things that should be done before they leave (as regards cleaning etc.) and the final inspection (again preferably with the tenant).
    At the first inspection, try to avoid indicating that the deposit may be retained due to their breaking the lease - try to indicate that the deposit return depends on the condition of the property when it is returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

normally I'd lean towards siding with the tenant on deposit issues but they if they didnt stay the full 12 months well then why should you be at a loss, may be different if it was under different circumstances beyond their control.
    Just out of interest do the Social welfare contact the landlords receiving RA tenants to establish who is residing in the house, surely this should be standard protocol, assumimg it was a single parent family allowances being claimed, with RA and rest of the benefits it sounds like it ran into many thousands if it ran for full 10 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

I'd be inclined to side with you on this and keep the deposit. They're breaking the lease and leaving you potentially out of pocket.

As an aside I'm delighted to hear someone getting caught out for welfare fraud, uinfortunately it could leave the OP out of pocket as a result!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I have discussed what is required for cleaning. I was in the property about 2 months ago and I know it's not in bad condition, so I'm not expecting any surprises.

The tenant has asked several times about the deposit, and I have indicated that they are breaking the lease early, and there are costs involved. Then came the reply that I broke the lease because of the drain & so on.

I'm planning to be as amicable as possible, and I don't mind giving something back, even just to keep the peace. But it certainly won't be a major portion of the it.

Regarding social welfare. they never contacted me.

Under no circumstances would I tell a tenant before they are moving out whether they will get their deposit or not. They could wreck the place. Judging by the fact they are fraudsters you can be pretty sure theri moral compas won't prevent them from getting back at you.

You are not breaching the contract by providing a bad service(you should have provided a good service).
    I would certainly check how bad the drain is when you are inspecting the place. If it became blocked while they were there chances are they blocked.

I wouldn't return much if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

bw wrote: »

Not surprised on that at all, wonder why they take so long to assess claims when they dont seem to assess much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

http://public.prtb.ie/DownloadDocs/Termination%20of%20FT.pdf
    http://www.let.ie/articles/landlords-rights-and-obligations

some useful reading for you
    only where there has been a failure
    by the party in relation to whom the notice is served to comply with any obligations of the tenancy)

basically, they can serve you notice for failing to fix the problems. you might not have realised it at the time, but they may have done this to give themselves an out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

ask them for a forwarding address to send on the deposit (if/when you make up your decision)

give revenue the forwarding address !

Social Welfare abusers ruin the system for the others - report them....because if they move home their file is given to another person - someone who might not care about co-habiting partner earning and the person claiming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Under no circumstances would I tell a tenant before they are moving out whether they will get their deposit or not. They could wreck the place. Judging by the fact they are fraudsters you can be pretty sure theri moral compas won't prevent them from getting back at you.

You are not breaching the contract by providing a bad service(you should have provided a good service).

In one paragraph to criticise their moral compass and in the next one to claim innocence yourself is hypocritical. The OP should have had the drain looked at sooner and saying it "didn't seem to bother them" is just a way of justifying it to himself. Whether or not they defrauded the SW is their problem, not yours - in any case you didn't know about it when you ignored the blocked drain.

Having said all that, in reality if it's a 12 month lease you are owed the remainder of the lease, so if it's more than the deposit then keep it, otherwise return the difference, assuming you're happy with the condition of the place when you inspect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

I have discussed what is required for cleaning. I was in the property about 2 months ago and I know it's not in bad condition, so I'm not expecting any surprises.

The tenant has asked several times about the deposit, and I have indicated that they are breaking the lease early, and there are costs involved. Then came the reply that I broke the lease because of the drain & so on.

I'm planning to be as amicable as possible, and I don't mind giving something back, even just to keep the peace. But it certainly won't be a major portion of the it.

The legal standing is they are breaking the lease and you are not obliged to return them the lease, however it really is up to you should you choose to return some of the money.
    If you are not making a loss then I see no harm in giving them back some of the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

OP did you give them a BER certificate of the property? If not then they could easily use that to break the lease legally and be entitled to their deposit back - just to be aware.

No I didn't give them a BER certificate.

professore - Criticising their moral compass? sorry, but I didn't do that.

professore wrote: »
    In one paragraph to criticise their moral compass and in the next one to claim innocence yourself is hypocritical. The OP should have had the drain looked at sooner and saying it "didn't seem to bother them" is just a way of justifying it to himself. Whether or not they defrauded the SW is their problem, not yours - in any case you didn't know about it when you ignored the blocked drain.

Having said all that, in reality if it's a 12 month lease you are owed the remainder of the lease, so if it's more than the deposit then keep it, otherwise return the difference, assuming you're happy with the condition of the place when you inspect it.
    I claim innocence to nothing I don't own the place. You got the wrong guy. There doesn't seem to be any "if" they defrauded the state option here, it is stated as fact. Given that information you can safely guess they won't have any problem wrecking a place if annoyed.

UDP wrote: »
    OP did you give them a BER certificate of the property? If not then they could easily use that to break the lease legally and be entitled to their deposit back - just to be aware.
    That is not true! One article written about it being possible does not make it fact.

That is not true! One article written about it being possible does not make it fact.
    A circular from the law society:
    http://www.ber-certs.ie/law_society_circular.pdf
    Fact is if a landlord does not provide a BER certificate before the lease is signed then the tenant can back out of the contract since a major statutory precondition has been broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭livinonaprayer

They were on rent allowance. They are moving because they were caught by social welfare, they didn't declare the husband was living there, & he was working.

If they were claiming welfare as well as rent allowance and the husband's wages, then surely they don't need the money anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You can't claim for normal cleaning costs.

Personally I'd consider you to have broken the lease by not fixing the shower, just as they have by breaking the lease. But if they take it to PRTB I think they'd split the difference, 50% back 50% retrained. Of course you have all this in writing. Yes.

• Advertisement

Fact is if a landlord does not provide a BER certificate before the lease is signed then the tenant can back out of the contract since a major statutory precondition has been broken.
    That is an opinion piece that has to go to court to have a standing. Not law not fact. We have discussed this many times here and unless these people decide to bring it to court to prove this opionion it doesn't mean anything.

The fact is BER compliance cannot at present be used to get out of a lease. The opinion of the law society is actually just an opinion until proven in court

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

The opinion of the Conveyancing Committee of the Law Society is opinion only.

This is at best an as yet untested possible bargaining tool, and at worst a myth. A breach of the regulations on the part of the landlord does not unequivocally give you the right to break a contract.

Read more here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73061468

Salient quotes:

"A similar thread came up in the Legal Discussion forum.

A failure to produce a BER is an offence only. Nowhere in the Regulations does it state that leases, deeds etc. are invalidated. You would use it as a 'loophole' at your own peril."

And:

"Again, the Regulations do not provide for any right to rescind a contract, lease or whatever. That article seems to suggest that a tenant might be able to use the threat of reporting non-compliance as leverage, which is another matter entirely."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

Agree with the ber comments. It's not covered under the act so isn't a definite for breaking.

Those are your opinions - I think I will weigh the opinion of the law society as more important.

OP, the tenants do have the right to end the tenancy where the landlord is in breach of an obligation. I believe in your case opportunity was given for the issue to be resolved but it was not resolved - really you shouldn't have let anything slide as it only gives power to the tenants. There is no excuse for 1-2 months but was the shower completely blocked or how bad was it?

Those are your opinions - I think I will weigh the opinion of the law society as more important.
    Good for you disregard the reality and substitute your own
    OP, the tenants do have the right to end the tenancy where the landlord is in breach of an obligation. I believe in your case opportunity was given for the issue to be resolved but it was not resolved - really you shouldn't have let anything slide as it only gives power to the tenants. There is no excuse for 1-2 months but was the shower completely blocked or how bad was it?
    Neither for the drain nor the BER has any breach been commited. They lived there and they are moving out becasue of a seperate reason. The extent of the drain blockage is important

That might depend if you can prove thats the reason, or can they now claim (in writing) something else.

The drain blockage was not bad. The shower was usable, just slow to drain. The conversation regarding get it fixed was casual, and between us we tried a few things. At no stage, did they say it stopped them using the property, it didn't flow over onto the floor, none of their stuff was ruined, etc.

The reason it dragged over time, was that it never seemed an urgency. Other things which needed attention were always fixed within 1-2 days.

Good for you disregard the reality and substitute your own

Neither for the drain nor the BER has any breach been commited. They lived there and they are moving out becasue of a seperate reason. The extent of the drain blockage is important
    We are all just giving opinions since none of us will be ones making a judgement for this case if it goes that far. The fact is the OP was in breach of statutory requirements which the tenants could claim was important information that they were not furnished and they could also claim that they landlord did not live up to his/her obligations with regards repairing the reported problem with the shower.

The problem for the OP here is how can he/she explain why it was not fixed even though 1-2 months has passed.

I dont see here how you or anyone else can prove that they are moving out because of the social welfare issues.

EDIT: as now I see the OP's reply as to the extent of the issue with the shower then I dont see it as something that was broken enough for the tenants to claim wasn't fixed.

OP, all you can do here is view the place and get back the keys then tell them that the deposit wont be returned as the lease was broken early but that you will not be pursuing them for the 12th month owed even though it is your right to do so.

• Advertisement

Story changing as the thread progresses.

LL and tenants really need to get into the habit of formalising their communications. It would encourage them to do things properly.

Advertisement