Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

good farm coat

• 02-11-2011 10:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

i know this type of thing has probably been up before but anyway looking for a good water proof coat for up the yard/farm, I dont mean wet gear now, just something warm, not too bulky and reasonably water proof. have a regatta coat, its warm enough but quality not great, the arm rubbed off a bit of sheeting on the side of shed and ripped, not great to keep out water either.. any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Lidl were selling jackets a few weeks ago for €20. Rugby jackets fleece lined and reasonably water proof on the outside. They are not too bulky either. You could get a fleece and waterproof jacket instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

The dairygold COOP Stores are selling these type jackets for 20Euro at the moment.
    They're fine and warm, waterproof too. I bought my second there last week.

flur-jacket1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

On a related note I need to get something waterproof but breathable.

I have a regular portwest raincoat, it's perfect, good fit, good cuffs, nice fitting hood, but completely useless on me.

I have only one problem. I'm a very very sweaty man. Fifteen minutes of sweeping/shovelling on sunday morning and my teeshirt was as wet as if I'd had no coat on. I need something just as hardy, but breathable.

Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

JohnBoy wrote: »

I have a regular portwest raincoat, it's perfect, good fit, good cuffs, nice fitting hood, but completely useless on me.

I have only one problem. I'm a very very sweaty man. Fifteen minutes of sweeping/shovelling on sunday morning and my teeshirt was as wet as if I'd had no coat on. I need something just as hardy, but breathable.

Any suggestions?

If the t-shirt is cotton, there's your problem.

If you are going to buy something "breathable" then you'll need to wear "breathable" layers underneath it, otherwise it won't work as it's designed to.

For example polyester sports shirts. For warmth in real cold weather a technical layer or a thermal layer is good. Cotton will hold moisture (sweat/rainwater) close to your skin, then body heat transmits through that wet cotton, leaving you feel cold, wet and miserable.

I've a North Face jacket with re-moveable liner, but cheap it ain't. There are however cheaper options out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

hate wearing a jacket or a coat, wear a hoody with a jumper under it and a hat.... always leave my hoody on the front of the aga at night for the next day so its nice and warm when i get up:)

johngalway wrote: »
    If the t-shirt is cotton, there's your problem.

If you are going to buy something "breathable" then you'll need to wear "breathable" layers underneath it, otherwise it won't work as it's designed to.

For example polyester sports shirts. For warmth in real cold weather a technical layer or a thermal layer is good. Cotton will hold moisture (sweat/rainwater) close to your skin, then body heat transmits through that wet cotton, leaving you feel cold, wet and miserable.

I've a North Face jacket with re-moveable liner, but cheap it ain't. There are however cheaper options out there.

No my sweaty assed skin is the problem :)

and the coat I'm wearing is basically a sealed plastic bag.

I dont have a problem with wearing something breathable underneath if I could find a suitable outer layer.

No problem with the cold either, have a cantebury base layer long sleeve top that is incredibly unattractive but super warm at the same time. but I'd die inside the raincoat wearing it.

Cheaper than north face options would be good alright, something that wont make me cry too much if I tear it off something ideally.

That looks good alright, but I'd be a bit worried about the lining. Ideally I want something that just wants to keep me dry, I'm less bothered about the cold, in fact my biggest issue is days like sunday when it was 15 degrees but p*ssing down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭DaNiEl1994

got a pro-drift jacket at the ploughing for 30 euro love it nice and warm not fully waterproof but water resistant i spose, only wish it had a hood, beanie cap job.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I sweat so much in portwest stuff I'm convinced they make them purple barney suits
    (rodge and podge quote "I'm sweating like a paedofile in a barney suit").

Last yard coat I bought was a 2nd hand barbour wax coat on ebay for 20quid, only drawback is 20 quid postage and it has to be re-waxed.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

Bought a farmers journal jacket at the ploughing. Its an o neills jacket, fully waterproof and fleece on the inside. Its very good quality. http://www.farmersjournal.com/store/productDetail.php?c=3&p=1895

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Its an o neills jacket

Did the zip go yet? :rolleyes:

whelan1 wrote: »
    hate wearing a jacket or a coat, wear a hoody with a jumper under it and a hat.... always leave my hoody on the front of the aga at night for the next day so its nice and warm when i get up:)

A good hat on your head and you wouldn't need much more than a hoody alright....once it's dry..... and your working!

My biggest problem is that I'm a messy fu*ker! No matter how I try if I'm working with cattle I'm covered in sh*t!! I'm a disgrace at the mart, you'd swear I was rolling around in it! Then you'd see lads walking around like their ready for Mass and not a spatter of sh*t on them!!

Muckit wrote: »
    Did the zip go yet? :rolleyes:
    no, tis perfect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Any suggestions?
    Drytex from O'Connor group. I have their overalls for the yard. I would be bone dry after milking and around the yard. Its waterproof and a fairly good windbreaker too. They have a good selection of different types of outfits to wear. They are dear enough (overalls 65 euro) but the jackets and pullups about 30 each iirc. I would sweat fairly badly too when working and just hate waterproofs. I end up feeling like a turkey in the oven waiting for christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭wallycool

Muckit wrote: »

A good hat on your head and you wouldn't need much more than a hoody alright....once it's dry..... and your working!

My biggest problem is that I'm a messy fu*ker! No matter how I try if I'm working with cattle I'm covered in sh*t!! I'm a disgrace at the mart, you'd swear I was rolling around in it! Then you'd see lads walking around like their ready for Mass and not a spatter of sh*t on them!!
    You will if its bulling rain and a wind chill that would freeze you . I have a snicker jacket that is waterproof and breedable and looks good http://www.snickersdirect.co.uk/snickers-workwear-1513-service-line-jacket-p-89942.html

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

ya snickers jackets are the job and look good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

How could anyone work wearing one of them snickers jackets I certainly couldn't.eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=130594216430

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I have to say I'm a great fan of the sleeveless jacket. I have a waxed one this good few years, they leave you very manoeuverable yet snug.
    Not much good of a wet day though, but I have very good wet gear for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Silver 1234

Try a wax jacket .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

On a related note, ski socks double up very well as work socks. They're warm, long, tough wearing and don't slip down. I wore a pair all last winter during some of the worst and coldest conditions and got the whole season out of them before they wore out and frayed. Lidl have a special this week on ski gear and at a fiver or so their socks are good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Mascot jackets sold by mcquillan tools.got caught one day a few years back and bought one. fully breathable and waterproof and very hard wearing. i couldnt keep jackets but have this one at least two years, wear it all the time on site and on the farm very comfy to wear also. only prob is price think it was around 80-90.

1chippy wrote: »
    wear it all the time on site

What country you say your in again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I wonder what ever became of the donkey jacket.

Lovely and warm but if it rained you'd need a trailer to bring it home.

LC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭jeffwode

If you're near Dundalk, Horseware holds a huge sale in their factory shop every year at the end of November. They sell off a load of unsold stock in a marquee in the car park. It's a decent factory shop as it is but during the sale, the stuff if for half nothing and it's decent gear. Think it's 26 and 27 November this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

bought in the US, the carhartt j174, much better than any of the snicker stuff, in terms of hardwearing and weight to warmth ratio, an excellent all round jacket, and almost impossible to rip, well almost...

incidentally they had a stand at he ploughing
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=carhartt+j174&hl=en&sa=X&rlz=1R2ADFA_enIE448&biw=1280&bih=514&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=qqTVQ-vrXcPIzM:&imgrefurl=http://www.tuffstuffmall.com/servlet/Detail%3Fno%3D177&docid=yDWsWxFYTvc6wM&itg=1&imgurl=http://www.tuffstuffmall.com/media/01/a20792912e9d0ccadb2645_m.JPG&w=300&h=300&ei=5MmxTty7NsbY8gPwlfnKAQ&zoom=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

LostCovey wrote: »
    I wonder what ever became of the donkey jacket.

Lovely and warm but if it rained you'd need a trailer to bring it home.

LC
    or the shiney brown boots with the yellow laces....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭kay 9

I have a couple of snickers work jackets that I "used" on-site and they are hardwearing, not too warm, and relatively waterproof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭limo_100

Bought a farmers journal jacket at the ploughing. Its an o neills jacket, fully waterproof and fleece on the inside. Its very good quality. http://www.farmersjournal.com/store/productDetail.php?c=3&p=1895

is it a warm jacket

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭yourpics

Flexothane Hi-Vis jacket, quite expensive but very good, water runs off it instead of soaking into it so obviously you need the pullups with it.
    Very warm but light to carry. Only downside is if you tear it on barb wire or steel its probably finished due to the type of material its made from. The jackets that soak the water will let barb in and out again!

limo_100 wrote: »
    is it a warm jacket

Tis, All fleece on the inside. I just wear a t-shirt with it.

No my sweaty assed skin is the problem :)

and the coat I'm wearing is basically a sealed plastic bag.

I dont have a problem with wearing something breathable underneath if I could find a suitable outer layer.

No problem with the cold either, have a cantebury base layer long sleeve top that is incredibly unattractive but super warm at the same time. but I'd die inside the raincoat wearing it.

Cheaper than north face options would be good alright, something that wont make me cry too much if I tear it off something ideally.

LOL @ sealed plastic bag, sounds like you're being cooked in yer own juice.

Fair enough, then breathable is definitely the way to go. If you go into a shop like TK Maxx they do big discounts and you may find a bargain on a good name breathable jacket. The outdoor shops tend to offer good advice but the stock can be quite expensive. Of course, the cute hoors amongst us may advise someone to go in, get the advice, then look online for deals. Not that I would advise you to do so, you understand.

Fairly sure The Great Outdoors has an online shop, it'll give you some ideas on brands, breathability etc. But stay away from the cotton.

On the Snickers jackets, I have one, it won't suit ya. They're heavy and much heavier again when wet. I avoid wearing mine when I can.

Fair enough, then breathable is definitely the way to go. If you go into a shop like TK Maxx they do big discounts and you may find a bargain on a good name breathable jacket. The outdoor shops tend to offer good advice but the stock can be quite expensive. Of course, the cute hoors amongst us may advise someone to go in, get the advice, then look online for deals. Not that I would advise you to do so, you understand.

Fairly sure The Great Outdoors has an online shop, it'll give you some ideas on brands, breathability etc. But stay away from the cotton.

On the Snickers jackets, I have one, it won't suit ya. They're heavy and much heavier again when wet. I avoid wearing mine when I can.
    is it the snickers goretex jacket john or the regular hi vis?

LostCovey wrote: »
    I wonder what ever became of the donkey jacket?

And the flat peak cap....

jacket.jpg

You know TK-Maxx is not a bad idea at all.

only thing is I'd feel like a tool the first few days wearing something all shiny an clean :)

• Advertisement

is it the snickers goretex jacket john or the regular hi vis?

Ah, didn't know they made a goretex one. I've the high viz one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Had a look there John and found this for 410:eek::eek:, sure its cheaper than a pair of new back tyres for the tractor or roughly half the price of good weanling.

http://www.greatoutdoors.ie/product_info.php?cPath=0_235_23_62&products_id=191399&osCsid=8155a3fe8410d12b8f556702d9124691

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Hope you were sitting down for that one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

Flexothane is the best in my opinion. Using them for good few years. Not the cheapest but work very well, get year or two from coat and more from pants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 farmerka

the best coats are for fishermens think about it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Selling good coats and fleeces, hoodys as well in penneys. Coats are 12, good heavy coat so they are but wouldnt be much good in the rain. The fleeces are fairly good too, 8 or 9 euro and the hoodys are 11. Ya cant go too far wrong. If ya rip it or destroy it, no harm done really. They do shirts and jmpers as well reasonably priced.

The only items of clothing Id spend a good few pound on are boots and trousers.

took J Galways advice and ran into tk maxx the other day and bought some make of a ski jacket, 50 euro, suppose to wind water everything proof, will see what shape its in a months time when covered in sh1te :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

took J Galways advice and ran into tk maxx the other day and bought some make of a ski jacket, 50 euro, suppose to wind water everything proof, will see what shape its in a months time when covered in sh1te :rolleyes:

Was in New Jersey last week and picked myself up a good North Face jacket for $149 after discounts. Looks the business - fully waterproof and breathable. Plenty big to put a jumper under if it hits minus 20 again but yet it very light and should be easy to work with. Has zips under armpits to allow airflow

do a bit of snowboarding myself so know these jackets should be fairly hardy

Wish ya luck with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 136 ✭✭chickenfarmer

Best Jacket I have ever had (still have) is a Musto sailing jacket. Expensive but worth it. I am wearing it for the last 3 years and its very hard wearing warm and water proof. Love that jacket. I picked mine up off Ebay.
    http://www.musto.com/fcp/product/Outdoor-Clothing/Jackets-and-Smocks/MPX-OFFSHORE-RACE-JACKET/10263?colour=black

could be worth a punt. the germans should know how to make a good winter coat.

http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_19592.htm

heading to tk maxx on saturday to see if they have something light but dry for my sweaty self

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Sounds like pure hardship that does....do the same with my trouser when I go out for a bit of shooting or cutting wood etc etc...pure bliss

5live wrote: »
    Drytex from O'Connor group. I have their overalls for the yard. I would be bone dry after milking and around the yard. Its waterproof and a fairly good windbreaker too. They have a good selection of different types of outfits to wear. They are dear enough (overalls 65 euro) but the jackets and pullups about 30 each iirc. I would sweat fairly badly too when working and just hate waterproofs. I end up feeling like a turkey in the oven waiting for christmas

got me a drytex jacket on friday.

havent done a huge amount in it, but what I did do seemed to go off without too much sweating.

hopefully this will be the end of turkey bag syndrome for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭easymoney!

well im just wondering does any of ye know the coat that you see alot of cattle dealers wearing its navy or black with like circles or lumps on it ??
    any one know it??

How's it working for ya?

• Advertisement
Advertisement