Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temporarily out of apartment due to flood damage

Options
  • 02-11-2011 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

have a quick question about whether my housemates and I will have to pay rent for a period of time when we have been evacuated from our apartment due to flood damage. The building was flooded on Monday the 24th of October, and we were evacuated on the 25th of October, as there is no running water or electricity in the complex. The management company have said that we should book a hotel and they will re-imburse accommodation only, not food. My question is whether we will still have to pay rent to the landlord, the ESB daily charge and internet for the period when we are not in the apartment. It will be this Friday at the very earliest when we are allowed back into the apartments.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

sarahc1 wrote: »
    Hi,

have a quick question about whether my housemates and I will have to pay rent for a period of time when we have been evacuated from our apartment due to flood damage. The building was flooded on Monday the 24th of October, and we were evacuated on the 25th of October, as there is no running water or electricity in the complex. The management company have said that we should book a hotel and they will re-imburse accommodation only, not food. My question is whether we will still have to pay rent to the landlord, the ESB daily charge and internet for the period when we are not in the apartment. It will be this Friday at the very earliest when we are allowed back into the apartments.

Thanks.

Sarah,

can't think of any reason why you shouldn't have to pay for rent and utilities. The mgmt company are covering the costs of your hotel and you have to eat regardless of where you live so I can see why they wouldn't cover food. As regards your utilities, it's not the ESBs / ISPs fault that you're not there. If you're on holidays you still have to pay them even if you're not there.

Probably not the answer you're looking.

BTW check your home contents policy to see if it covers alternative accommodation costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

nicol wrote: »
    Sarah,

can't think of any reason why you shouldn't have to pay for rent and utilities. The mgmt company are covering the costs of your hotel and you have to eat regardless of where you live so I can see why they wouldn't cover food.

Because they are denied access to cooking facilities and also cannot use/cook food that may have already been purchased prior to the flooding.

This also applies to laundromat expenses. Again, there is no access to washing machine/dryers.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭fox65

From what i gather. (correct me if needed).
    The place was evacuated, more then likely , as it was declared to be uninhabitable.

Same happened me and the land lord said not to pay the next rental period.

This is because they landlord will say to the insurance company, its unhabitable and claim against insurance for lost earnings from no rent.

If your landlord is doing this, they cant claim rent from you, and then claim it back from the insurance company

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SligoLady

I imagine you will have to pay the ESB and Internet supply charge, which to be fair, should only be a couple of euro for a week so I wouldn't squabble over it. You shouldn't have to pay rent for the time you've been out as like the previous poster said, it's deemed uninhabitable and your landlord can claim from his insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I believe it is one or the other:
    - You don't pay rent (and possibly the ll covers ESB, not that there should be any if there is no electricity!) OR
    - The LL covers your alternative accomodation. I don't think you can ask them to do both.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

there is no running water or electricity in the complex.
    My question is whether we will still have to pay rent to the landlord, the ESB daily charge and internet for the period when we are not in the apartment

If there is no electricity, then there is no usage so the ESB would effectively not bill you for this period as nothing is used. When you say daily charge what do you mean? Apologies, I'm confused with your wording

ISP, they dont charge by usage, just by monthly fees. They would charge regardless so you should get onto them. They might be sympathetic to your situation and offer some discount?! only way to know is to ask!

Advertisement