Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timex Run Trainer - Finally a Garmin alternative?

• 02-11-2011 11:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭

DC Rainmaker has got his hands on the latest GPS based running watch from Timex, and based on his feedback, it looks like we finally have a viable alternative to the Garmin mid-range running watches (210, 305, 405, 410). My biggest concern with the Timex watches would always be GPS accuracy (based on previous reviews/feedback), but they seem to have nailed it this time around.

The only problem he mentioned, was that the back-light is poor, and not customizable (the latter could potentially be addressed by a software update).

It also integrates with Training Peaks, instead of using a proprietary hosting solution, which would be a plus point for many. It's currently $190 from Amazon.com, which pitches it at a price just above what you can get a Forerunner 305 for, from Amazon.co.uk. It's still quite large though, and would be of a similar size to the 305.

It's waterproof (50m) but not swim friendly (won't record a tracklog during the swim) and also isn't setup to handle multi-sport, so for your triathlon needs, the 305, 310xt, 910xt are still probably your best options).

Timex-Run-Trainer-GPS.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

:confused: why is it called an Ironman Triathlon watch if it's a) not suitable for swimming and b) not suitable for multisports ? I would've thought that rules out triathlons, no ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I guess you could wear it for triathlons, and manually lap for your transitions, but you won't get any distance information for your swim. You could probably (don't know for sure) display both pace and speed at the same time, to cover the cycle and run portions of the triathlon.

But the answer is that it is just a branding exercise. Everything Ironman is cool, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

But the answer is that it is just a branding exercise. Everything Ironman is cool, right?

I see. It wouldn't do to have a watch called the "Ironman Triathlon (well not really, just for the running bit. Hey, what do you expect for less than $200 ?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Timex watches are all Ironman branded. It's pure marketing, without any reference to actual functionality. The €20 Timex stopwatch I bought a few years ago in Argos has the same logo on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Is the GPS built into the watch, or do you have to wear an armpod/footpod?

The classic timex ironman stopwatch is the bees knees in my opinion, light, sleek, does the business for recording splits for races/training (without any pace stuff as it's not GPS) and has very easy buttons to press for getting these splits, i.e. don't have to really look at the watch or manoeuvre your arms/hands too much to do so, so good for taking splits when you don't want to see the splits but rather want to review them later.

• Advertisement

Yep, built into the watch. I have a Timex stop-watch too, and it's really reliable, despite its cheapness. Timex's previous GPS sports watch was not great, as the GPS accuracy was a bit crap. They've focused on getting it right for this watch, so it should perform as well as the Garmins (but unfortunately not any better).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Nialler73

Hi...apart from physcally buying over the counter in the states, does anyone know of anywhere to buy one of these that'll deliver to Ireland?

Nialler73 wrote: »
    Hi...apart from physcally buying over the counter in the states, does anyone know of anywhere to buy one of these that'll deliver to Ireland?
    I'd say you might have to wait a while. Perhaps they'll have it available just before xmas? Keep an eye on the timex.co.uk site. I'd avoid the Timex Ironman Global Trainer, as it just doesn't seem to have the accuracy refinement of the Timex Run Trainer (but perhaps it might have been improved by firmware updates?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Have been in touch with Timex UK wondering about the release date.
    They tell me its due on the market in Europe at the end of February, but the shocking things is they gave me a £274.99 RRP :eek:

I'm still probably going to get this watch, but will likely go with buying from the US - even with import duties its coming in @ €205 for the non HRM version.

I did borrow a 405cx to try out, but was put off by the bezel & size on my slim wrists, so this will hopefully be a bit better.

Have been in touch with Timex UK wondering about the release date.
    They tell me its due on the market in Europe at the end of February, but the shocking things is they gave me a £274.99 RRP :eek:

I'm still probably going to get this watch, but will likely go with buying from the US - even with import duties its coming in @ €205 for the non HRM version.

I did borrow a 405cx to try out, but was put off by the bezel & size on my slim wrists, so this will hopefully be a bit better.
    $190 from Amazon is quite compelling. I was going to suggest the Forerunner 610 as a viable alternative (from the Amazon.com) but at nearly twice the price, it's a hard sell.

• Advertisement

$190 from Amazon is quite compelling. I was going to suggest the Forerunner 610 as a viable alternative (from the Amazon.com) but at nearly twice the price, it's a hard sell.

Just went through to checkout on Amazon and they tell me they cannot deliver it to an Irish address - assume this is a manufacturer implemented block.

Been looking around and its available elsewhere for the same price, but trying to figure out shipping costs is a bit of a nightmare.
    I'll find it somewhere though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Don't know why people don't buy refurb. Bought my 305 for 95 euro and a 405cx for 110 euro in the last few months from amazon. Watch is cleaned with warranty and you get everything else new. When people are trying to flog a 405/305 on adverts for lots more.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Anyone know how the HR monitor on this timex compares to those of Garmin or Polar? i.e. If Polar > Garmin, where does this fall?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

I have the timex HR monitor from the older Timex GPS unit, works everytime. Must be 5 or 6 years old. its the hard strap version
    I also have the new "premium" Garmin HR strap which never worked, an absolutely useless device. Getting angry even thinking about it........:)

redved wrote: »
    I have the timex HR monitor from the older Timex GPS unit, works everytime. Must be 5 or 6 years old.

The Timex GPS only came out 2 years ago

• Subscribers Posts: 16,592 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

The Timex GPS only came out 2 years ago

Heh, I have a timex gps unit from 10 years ago at least, maybe more. They were the first people to have them afair. Watch on wrist, hrm on chest and gps box on upper arm and a data recorder stuck on waistband!

Just checked I bought mine in 2005....

http://www.timexbodylinksystem.com/IronmanTriathalonBodylinkT59551.asp

Same style as the one in the picture but the trail runner series ie the yellow one

Just checked I bought mine in 2005....

http://www.timexbodylinksystem.com/IronmanTriathalonBodylinkT59551.asp

Same style as the one in the picture but the trail runner series ie the yellow one

Jeez, that gps unit is compact compared to the original that I had. They were super high tech at the time though. Think I had mine a couple of years before they came out with the data recorder even.

copacetic wrote: »
    Jeez, that gps unit is compact compared to the original that I had. They were super high tech at the time though. Think I had mine a couple of years before they came out with the data recorder even.

They were a great buy. I still use mine everyday as a regular watch.

I think if the could have integrated the GPS unit into the watch like Garmin they'd have been way more popular.
    The GPS was too cumbersome as an additional unit.
    It'll be intersting to see how the new unit goes

My watch gave up the ghost about 3 years back. Tried hard to find an equivalent style watch from them as was well used to it, although didn't need the gps anymore.

• Advertisement

Fancy that. I stand corrected. I never knew about that kit.

It certainly flew below the radar,can't imagine it was too successful.

Hopefully the new version will take off

Ordered my Run Trainer yesterday from the US.
    Here's to my last week of using my phone, a sandwich bag & hoping it doesn't get wet!!!

Now I switch to the daily checking of emails for a tracking code, then on to...where the hell is it? why has there been no update in 48 hours? :o

Got mine delivered to the office this morning, charged it up & the configured some of the settings at lunchtime.
    Already discovered that I don't want the auto stop/start, so thats switched off.

Have a track session this evening for its first outing - dunno if I'll have figured out how to configure that on the fly with the watch, might have to whip out the laptop before running around the track. :)

Even at that, I'm not sure if it'll work with a set distance + timed rest period, might take some trial & error to get that sorted.

If not, I suppose I can just do a straight timer & use the lap to measure the rest periods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

Got mine delivered to the office this morning, charged it up & the configured some of the settings at lunchtime.
    Already discovered that I don't want the auto stop/start, so thats switched off.

Have a track session this evening for its first outing - dunno if I'll have figured out how to configure that on the fly with the watch, might have to whip out the laptop before running around the track. :)

Even at that, I'm not sure if it'll work with a set distance + timed rest period, might take some trial & error to get that sorted.

If not, I suppose I can just do a straight timer & use the lap to measure the rest periods.

Great, Would be very interested in what you have to say about it.

Have been looking on Ebay and a word of caution to anyone, order from the US as the prices are as low as the 140euro mark whereas the UK sellers seem to be asking from 240euro up to as much as 290euro :eek: for the same thing.

I've been looking at the Garmin 210 but cannot justify paying over 200euro so this fits nicely into my price range and can function as an ordinary watch too.

Will be interested in your impressions :)

lway wrote: »
    Great, Would be very interested in what you have to say about it.

Have been looking on Ebay and a word of caution to anyone, order from the US as the prices are as low as the 140euro mark whereas the UK sellers seem to be asking from 240euro up to as much as 290euro :eek: for the same thing.

I've been looking at the Garmin 210 but cannot justify paying over 200euro so this fits nicely into my price range and can function as an ordinary watch too.

Will be interested in your impressions :)

but you most likely get got by customs from the states. could add another 10 euro + 20% of total (price + shipping)

glasso wrote: »
    but you most likely get got by customs from the states. could add another 10 euro + 20% of total (price + shipping)

I got mine for $200 (inc HRM), which worked out @ ~€151 on the exchange rate at the time. The limit for customs to charge excise plus vat is €150, they usually don't bother with anything under that.
    Box was clearly marked as $200, so maybe they let it by on that basis.

All in, including shipping, it was €186 I think, so pretty reasonable price imo.
    However, as with anyone ordering from US, it can seem to be pretty random whether you get hit by customs or not.

Regarding the UK, I asked Timex for their RRP ahead of it getting released over here (is it out now?), and they told me £275, which to me is so far off the mark as to be ridiculous, hence my online purchase.

I got mine for $200 (inc HRM), which worked out @ ~€151 on the exchange rate at the time. The limit for customs to charge excise plus vat is €150, they usually don't bother with anything under that.
    Box was clearly marked as $200, so maybe they let it by on that basis.

All in, including shipping, it was €186 I think, so pretty reasonable price imo.
    However, as with anyone ordering from US, it can seem to be pretty random whether you get hit by customs or not.

Regarding the UK, I asked Timex for their RRP ahead of it getting released over here (is it out now?), and they told me £275, which to me is so far off the mark as to be ridiculous, hence my online purchase.

I've had to pay customs charges and vat on something costing 55 euro. I thought that the limit was around 30 euro for something outside the EU.
    It also can delay getting the item by a week or so which is a pain.

Well it survived the track session...

First up, its Waterproof - rated to 50m, and while I didn't go scuba diving last night, it was extremely wet & windy, and there was no issue on that front, and no sign of fogging inside the face that I have occasionally seen on other watches (non-gps).

Intervals - the session was (1k, 90sec recovery) X 2, (2k, 90sec recovery) X 2, (1k, 90sec recovery) X 2.
    With that being a bit more complicated than a simple (300m + 30sec) X 10, I decided to just use the lap/split to break the segments.
    This worked really well, had a 4 field display, with lap time, pace, distance, split time.
    I was able to keep an eye on the pace to keep it close to the goal pace, and the lap time made it easy to time the 90sec recovery.

Loading it up to Training Peaks was easy enough once I deleted an empty default account that it was initially trying to upload the file under.
    The mapping looked very accurate to Google maps, round & round the track in Dangan, with only one slightly off reading that cut a corner through one of the bends.
    The slight problem I had with it was Training Peaks altitude calculation. The calculation throughout the session varied by a few metres between 18-24m above sea level, which is quite a bit out considering it was all on a flat track.
    Training Peaks do have an added extra in the Premium Edition that claims to give better altitude calculations based on all the route data it has stored over the years.
    A slight annoyance that this doesn't come as standard, but I won't lose sleep over it and can easily live with it - if it begins to bother me too much, I can see what other tools will read the raw data file better.

I'll see how it holds up to accuracy of route & altitude on a road run tomorrow night.

Overall, very happy with it on a first impression, and I'm sure I'll pick out more features as I get used to it.
    One last thing to note, I'm on older firmware, .08, and while I did get prompted to update to the .12 version, I have seen a few complaints of issues with that version, so keeping it as it its factory level for now.

• Advertisement

The slight problem I had with it was Training Peaks altitude calculation. The calculation throughout the session varied by a few metres between 18-24m above sea level, which is quite a bit out considering it was all on a flat track.
    Most consumer GPS receivers will have some level of inaccuracy with regard to altitude. Because they don't have in-built altimeters (except for the 910xt, which might as well not have an altimeter at all), they're just making estimates about your current elevation so a bit of up 'n' down is to be expected. You won't notice it in a road environment, where altitude is always changing anyway.

Advertisement