Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurants in Ballina?

Options
  • 02-11-2011 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭

Where's good to go now? Myself and the OH seem to go to Dillons and Market Kitchen lately for the later evening meals - both excellant places to eat, with MK taking the lead. The Monk and Jug are both the choice for lunch time meals.

Where else is there to go in town? The new place in the Ridge Pool seems to get mixed reviews from what I've heard - has anyone been there? Also, what's the best place for indian food around town?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Brennans is by far the best for food at the moment. I still rate Crockets too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Apparently Jordans is lovely. Havent set foot in Dillons since I got a slug served in my pot of tea andthe manageress couldnt have cared less. Loft is really nice during the day for soup and sambos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I was in Jordans recently and wasn't overly impressed, the foods not bad but a little overpriced for what it is.

Who's doing the food in Brennans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Have to second the loft for soup and sambo...perfect during the day and not expensive either!

Brennans is being run by the owners, AFAIK.

Run by Keith and Siobhan. Chef is French iirc.

Agree with loft for lunch and free wi-Fi too.

• Advertisement

Oh and Everest is still bet Indian.

I see McDonald's re on the way subject to pp too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    I see McDonald's re on the way subject to pp too!

Should never be allowed on the grounds of health.

TT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭soterpisc

Ice house is great!! I would def say best in Ballina if not mayo.

soterpisc wrote: »
    Ice house is great!! I would def say best in Ballina if not mayo.

I thing our terms of reference on the thread are skewed! Maybe for fine dining but haven't eaten there in a long time after they mixed up my main course. The chowder is an anti climax, it comes in a dinky copper sauce pan thingy, looking like it is brimming over. However, there is only a smidgen of chowder in the pot. But hey, it looked great! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭bifl

Hi End : I would go with Belleek of the top three. The taster menu is fab. The Ice House although the food is good and well worth a visit the problem is it's just not great, as above there we had on one occasion order and billing issues)

Mid range: Always a big fan of the MK. Good combo of price, prez and quality. In the last month having been in the Market Kitchen since they moved to Murphys and Brennans since they took it over, both offer a similar range on the menu, price , presentation etc. Both are very good, I would put MK ahead of Brennans though

Take Away : Everest, Lantern, Love Lees

• Advertisement

Has Dillons changed owners very recently? I'm after hearing the restaurant is closed and it's just food in the bar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

Has Dillons changed owners very recently? I'm after hearing the restaurant is closed and it's just food in the bar.

Yes. I think the People in Crokets are moving to Dillons.. But I can't keep up with the all the opening/Closing that is happening in Ballina.

Yeah....my understanding is that Crockets has been sold and that Alan and Paul are taking over Dillons. I think there may be an Italian restaurant going in are well....not sure as part of the bar or the old Italian beside Dillons.

Either way a welcome development......should give McDonalds a run for their money!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

For now crockets is staying open, they will be running both places, Ballina dpes not get enough credit for the amount of decent places in the area compared to most towns.

The Murphys will be back where they belong in the town centre. Can't wait for them to come back to "town".

For now crockets is staying open, they will be running both places, Ballina dpes not get enough credit for the amount of decent places in the area compared to most towns.

It is a vastly underrated town, a lot of sh*tholes out there in comparison!

Yeah...in fairness I think the pub grub side of things is under rated in the town. Crocketts, Dillons and Murphys always had a good spread.

Dillons reopened as Pacinos bar and restaurant last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭sunrise91

I will always go to Jordan's for an Indian, although the standard seemed to have gone down since the last time I've been there. I think they have a new chef though so that could be why?

And The Dock Bar does amazing dinner too. Recently had Sunday lunch and would highly recommend!

Also can anyone recommend a good coffee shop in town? I know there's a lot but I still haven't found a favourite!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

The chef from jordans has opened Basini, across from dunnes.
    For me jordans is one of the best run restaurants in the town.

• Advertisement
Advertisement