Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circuit Breaker Help!

• 02-11-2011 12:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭

During high winds recently and in particular during gusts, one of our circuit breakers trips. Its a new house in the country and there is no probs with the wiring. Anybody know what could cause this with out stating the obvious (wind).

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

You will have to say what circuit breaker it is to be of any help. Is it an MCB, RCD, RCBO? Take a photo if possible showing the breaker and its circuit description usually written under it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

During high winds recently and in particular during gusts, one of our circuit breakers trips. Its a new house in the country

are there any outside lights that are wired but not fitted yet
    possibly the cable is blowing in the wind and the insulation tape(should be joint box)is ripped off,thereby exposing the cables to wet walls causing a short.

ok thats my theory
    as robbie says,more info please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

Its an RCD, was talking to a nieghbour earleir and its happening to them as well. Gave ESB networks a ring and they said they would investigate. Thanks for the help. Because its the RCD tripping, any ideas of the cause?

We also have outside lights, i am fairly sure they are water tight. The RCD has never tripped with them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i believe it can alright
    i looked into it before but i've forgot the details

http://www.hagerbr.com.au/popup.php?scr=1024&id=84&action=faq

see 'What are the possible causes of unwanted tripping of RCDs?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭awnow

I have seen it before whereby a cable running externally overhead was damaged and during heavy rain/wind, it caused an RCD to trip. Check for loose cables. Stating the obvious, if it's wind related then the problem is likely to be related to a service outside! :D

But the fact that your neighbour has the same issue suggests that the issue may be related to the common external supply network. Let us know the outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Similar to OPs query I have a thing that goes wrong and I want to fix it, please help me I'm not going to provide any further info, much appreciated! :Dly wired light

I had a badly wired light in the sitting room that kept tripping, took ages to find it, was a PITA, problem was in the switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

The following day after the problem occured, ESB networks arrived and discovered there was a problem with the open network. The problem had occured during a previous storm around the time of the Dublin flooding.

Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement