Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record Xbox 360 Gameplay

Options
  • 02-11-2011 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Not sure if this is the right place so mods feel free to move it. I currently have my xbox hooked up to my tv via HDMI. I need to keep the HDMI going to the TV so im looking for a device that will record my gameplay from HDMI (from Xbox) to my laptop (so will need to be usb not pci). I dont really care if its HD or not and i know there are solutions out there for component cables but i need to use HDMI and i dont think its possible to have both HDMI and Component (for recording) plugged in that would be perfect.

So in summery i need:
    1. HDMI Video Capture to USB
    2. Doesnt matter if its HD as long as i can record and watch through HDMI
    3. something thats under €100

if anyone could advise to any solution that will work with above id be very grateful.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Thread moved from Console Modding

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You're not going to record via HDMI under 100 quid.

Get a composite cable for the xbox, an easy cap, and the rest of the equipment mentioned in Tallons guide at the top of this forum. Should cost about 30 quid all in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

The only way you're going to record HDMI on a laptop is with the Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle, however it requires USB3 and costs in the range of €200.

As Doom said, you're going to have to scale down to component/composite and grab something smaller like an EasyCap or whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Ricochet69

is it possible at all to get both hdmi and composite from xbox? Thanks for replys guys

also does easycap do 60hz? ive heard that can be a problem with some of the capture tools

• Advertisement

Ricochet69 wrote: »
    is it possible at all to get both hdmi and composite from xbox? Thanks for replys guys

No, it will only output one type of signal at a given time.

Is there some reason it has to be HDMI even though you don't mind if it's SD not HD? You can buy splitters for next to nothing for the composite cables.
    also does easycap do 60hz? ive heard that can be a problem with some of the capture tools

I don't know, I used to mess around with an easy cap and it wasn't for me, but I am hardly an expert on the device.

ive been doing a bit of looking on the net and i thought i saw somewhere that it wont do 60hz which is required for a lot of games. Well worst case i can just use composite. i do want hd for the display but dont care about hd for the recording. the reason i want to use hdmi is because of my home cinema setup, its very complex and would be easier if i could find a work around for it.

ive been doing a bit of looking on the net and i thought i saw somewhere that it wont do 60hz which is required for a lot of games. Well worst case i can just use composite. i do want hd for the display but dont care about hd for the recording. the reason i want to use hdmi is because of my home cinema setup, its very complex and would be easier if i could find a work around for it.

Sadly, HDMI is pretty much the most awkward format currently for recording. Component is pretty much the standard for recording at the moment (I assume because there's no security problems like there can be with HDMI).

If you wanted to do HD I guess you could go for the component roxio device, I haven't used it myself but it's as close as you will get to being able to use HDMI on the kind of budget you're working with.

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/game-capture/console/overview.html

I understand this isn't really the answer you're looking for but it's as close as you'll get for 100 quid.

You'll need to wait for someone with a bit more easycap experience for the answer to your question on that!

thanks. lol 99.99. i know it doesnt seem like im going to get something under 100 quid for HD.

This is what i was talking about problems playing pal 60

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056044944

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Broski.dll

A hauppauge HD PVR? I've got one and it work's great and im pretty sure it was under 100 euro.

Edit: Derp... It's actually 200 euro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

thanks. lol 99.99. i know it doesnt seem like im going to get something under 100 quid for HD.

This is what i was talking about problems playing pal 60

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056044944

You're not!

ok so from more looking around any of these products including the Dazzle that ive found require you to play in SD on your tv if you want to record with them. Is there a way i can play in HD on my tv and record in SD, id be very happy with that. I no longer need to use HDMI (ive found a work around for the HC).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

ok so from more looking around any of these products including the Dazzle that ive found require you to play in SD on your tv if you want to record with them. Is there a way i can play in HD on my tv and record in SD, id be very happy with that. I no longer need to use HDMI (ive found a work around for the HC).

No

Dude, you're pretty much asing for the impossible. If you want to record or play in HD, the roxio is the absolute bare minimum.

lol i know, but sure if i dont ask ill never know. ok thanks everyone for all your helpful posts, id say im going to get a Roxio, it seems to be the best product as regards software and hd

Got the Roxio Game capture 78 quid off amazon think maplin has it for €70 tho. Device is very solid wouldnt say quite HD, and the quality is defo dropped when going through device.

Advertisement