Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

firearms stolen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

another trick someone suggested was to leave a cheap gunsafe where it's very obvious, pooorly affixed to the wall, with couple lengths of steel pipe inside :rolleyes:

Let them pull it off the wall and take it with them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

tfox wrote: »
    another trick someone suggested was to leave a cheap gunsafe where it's very obvious, pooorly affixed to the wall, with couple lengths of steel pipe inside :rolleyes:

Pity the law doesn't allow you to leave something far more unpleasant than a few steel pipes inside it;) Thats a great idea though. Says he who just sold a cheap spare gunsafe....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

jeasus lad i just read this now, i am disgusted for you. you must be sickened. i know how you feel i had my trailer stolen a while back. i felt angry and powerless to do anything about it. very frustrating.

i hope you catch these SCUMBAGS soon and you get your guns back.

although i doubt much will happen these people even if they are caught.

you are welcome to come for a shot with me anytime you want while you are with out your own guns.

again i am sorry for your trouble :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

:mad: Hope the scrotes rot in hell.
    This shows up the difference between real gun safes and gun lockers which is what most of us, myself included, have at home.I have my keys in a separate small safe and eircom phonewatch.
    If you search youtube there is a video of a 'gunsafe ' being levered open in about 2 mins.
    Take heart, its a small country and the guns just might show up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 von dreyse

I think I remember seeing something on tv years ago about a 12gauge lock.

It was the size of a cartridge, you loaded it as normal and turned a key which brought out two wedges to lock it in place but if you tried to batter it out from the muzzle end with a piece of rebar it had a primer and small charge which would permantly damage the breech rendering it useless.

I know it is not going to stop them steeling it but at least it will not be used against any one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, lads its the time of year when robberies treble so every should review their security especially where guns and ammo are concerned.
    I have two gun safes both with 6 heavy steel pins that lock on all sides, it took two of us with a struggle to carry these in and fit them, gone are the days when you could throw the 12 bore behind the door, and their was always someone present in the house.
    Monitored alarms are good but most thieves will test the response times a few days previous, these scumbags have every angle sorted and some dont even give a **** if they are caught as most will only get a slap on the wrist, while your left with a wrecked house and missing property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

I'm sorry to hear you had your guns stolen, I know how attached I am to mine. The tacticool stock is really distinctive and should make your CZ easily recognisable.

Do you mind me asking what type of locking mechanism was in your safe

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭J K

tfox wrote: »

Yes steel pipe....And a COBRA!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭knockon

That is not nice and my condolences to you, its very upsetting to have your home violated by these animals.

I have my 3 firearms in a pretty good safe attached to a brick wall in a hidden area of the house. Eircom phone watch + back up radio link (Both monitored). Alarm is always on. Automated gates, sensor lights etc and I am still thinking about upgrading. OFF TOPIC FOR A BIT - Security does not come cheap. I got my bill last month from Phone watch - service contract and monitoring €480 for the year. Took out my NARGC Card which says 12.5% discount and called Phonewatch who informed me that the NARGC did not renew it this year so pay in full please. Anyway some nice chap up there gave me 2 months free which equated to the discount.

I feel for you and hope you have a successful outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭syconerd

network security 250 a year nargc approved chech them out pal very good company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

Sorry for your troubles and like everyone else I hope you get your gear back and the theiving sh1ts get caught. Alot of people have Buffalo River (and similar) safes and must be concerned from reading your story.

I was never convinced as to how good most gun safes are considering you can buy them for around €300 and you wouldn't get much of a domestic or office safe for that price!

The door seems to be a vulnerable point. Any body got any good ideas how to reinforce a door or retro-fit something to a safe to make it stronger?

Maybe this kind of information should be sent by PM and it could then be sent round?

One tip I saw when installing a safe was to plaster the back with Wurth adhesive (the stuff they use to attach car windsecrrens - can be got in any motor factors) just before bolting it to the wall. It makes it damned difficult to pry the safe from the wall -even without the bolts. A bead of it can also be put around the perimeter like a silicone sealer. It makes getting a pry bar between the safe and wall a bitch of a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

The scumbags have been known to take a fair piece of the wall with them and not care what damage was done to the house!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

If someone is really committed to stealing something you own, they'll get it eventually.

The only thing you can do is to ensure that is as awkward, time consuming and plain out risky as possible for them to do so.

People in the house as much as possible, dogs, locks upon locks, security systems, cameras, camouflaging safes, not keeping guns & bolts & ammo together etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 von dreyse

do any of ye think one brand of safe is better than the other?

I like the look of the warm-flow ones they seemed good enough when looking in the shop.
    At the minute I have a home made one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Not sure, I was a bit surprised to find out a nailbar opened one :eek: I think I'd be having words with the manufacturer about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

leupold90 wrote: »
    Sorry for your troubles and like everyone else I hope you get your gear back and the theiving sh1ts get caught. Alot of people have Buffalo River (and similar) safes and must be concerned from reading your story.

I was never convinced as to how good most gun safes are considering you can buy them for around €300 and you wouldn't get much of a domestic or office safe for that price!

The door seems to be a vulnerable point. Any body got any good ideas how to reinforce a door or retro-fit something to a safe to make it stronger?

Maybe this kind of information should be sent by PM and it could then be sent round?

One tip I saw when installing a safe was to plaster the back with Wurth adhesive (the stuff they use to attach car windsecrrens - can be got in any motor factors) just before bolting it to the wall. It makes it damned difficult to pry the safe from the wall -even without the bolts. A bead of it can also be put around the
    perimeter like a silicone sealer. It makes getting a pry bar between the safe and wall a bitch of a job.

Take the safe to a metal fabricators , there is one in every town and have them weld 8mm or 10 mm plate all around it , it'd be that heavy that even if thieves did get it off the wall they would never carry it and they couldn't cut into it without serious cutting gear and making a hell of a lot of noise. Also most safes are only held on to the wall with a few bolts , i think there were only 4 on mine and the bolts that came with it were short, 2" or so , i drilled another 6 and bought much longer bolts in chadwicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

rowa wrote: »
    Take the safe to a metal fabricators , there is one in every town and have them weld 8mm or 10 mm plate all around it , it'd be that heavy that even if thieves did get it off the wall they would never carry it and they couldn't cut into it without serious cutting gear and making a hell of a lot of noise. Also most safes are only held on to the wall with a few bolts , i think there were only 4 on mine and the bolts that came with it were short, 2" or so , i drilled another 6 and bought much longer bolts in chadwicks.

yeah its a good idea, landkeeper pointed it out that if you weld steel sheets around and tight to the safe and also have the sheets coming say 8 inches past the door of the safe you'd never get a crowbar or nailbar in at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    jeasus lad i just read this now, i am disgusted for you. you must be sickened. i know how you feel i had my trailer stolen a while back. i felt angry and powerless to do anything about it. very frustrating.

i hope you catch these SCUMBAGS soon and you get your guns back.

although i doubt much will happen these people even if they are caught.

you are welcome to come for a shot with me anytime you want while you are with out your own guns.

again i am sorry for your trouble :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

thanks Paulo, I'll take you up on that offer if your up for it, I've yet to see a deer in the wild in Ireland:eek::o, I made my mind up last summer that I was just gonna dive in and get a licence, something I always wanted to do, got a permission, got my permit, broke myself paying for a rifle, hadn't got the thing a wet week and some scumbag(s) robbed it on me:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

thanks Paulo, I'll take you up on that offer if your up for it, I've yet to see a deer in the wild in Ireland:eek::o, I made my mind up last summer that I was just gonna dive in and get a licence, something I always wanted to do, got a permission, got my permit, broke myself paying for a rifle, hadn't got the thing a wet week and some scumbag(s) robbed it on me:(

you are welcome any time that suits you. i'll make sure you see a deer at the very least :D

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

before you bolt it to the wall, chisel out a groove in the wall half way up the height of the safe, big enough to feed a good heavy chain through. that with a good lock and well bolted to the wall should sort out the weaker safes.

Car thieves laugh at those snazzy yellow gear and steering wheel locks, but will walk right past a car with a good chain around the wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

rgugliel wrote: »
    before you bolt it to the wall, chisel out a groove in the wall half way up the height of the safe, big enough to feed a good heavy chain through. that with a good lock and well bolted to the wall should sort out the weaker safes.

Car thieves laugh at those snazzy yellow gear and steering wheel locks, but will walk right past a car with a good chain around the wheel.
    Thats exactly how they get safes off the wall, put a chain around it and if they break in you will find the whole safe gone!

Thats exactly how they get safes off the wall, put a chain around it and if they break in you will find the whole safe gone!

How would that make it any easier to get it off? once you have 6-8 M8 rawl bolts going into concrete it should hold, the chain will stop the door being wedged open.

Like already said with enough want and time they will get what they want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

rgugliel wrote: »
    How would that make it any easier to get it off? once you have 6-8 M8 rawl bolts going into concrete it should hold, the chain will stop the door being wedged open.

Like already said with enough want and time they will get what they want

chain-rope-vehicle -pull ;)

landkeeper wrote: »

Your watching too much police, camera, action :D

My house is 3 stories and its up the top, so i'm safe from that type of attack :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

landkeeper wrote: »
    If they've enough time for that, they could haul up with thermite.
    The key seems to be twofold - (a) block the opportunistic ones, which boils down to having good doors, windows and locks - and using them - about 90% of the time; and (b) let everyone else know about the dedicated ones, which is where the whole monitored alarm comes in.

You're still going to have to cope with the deep unpleasantness of having had someone poke about in your own home, the fun of explaining everything to the local Garda (though to be fair, my local FO was perfectly sound and reasonable when it happened to me, but then they didn't get into my safe), and the week or so of looking at everyone around you while thinking You didn't do a damn thing while my home was invaded, you gits.

No fun at all :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

If you make things physically too secure you could leave yourself open to a personal attack at a later time though , the thieves know you have firearms but can't get them, they simply wait until you come home put a knife to your throat and demand them.
    I am not saying its right but its a possibility and how most dealers are robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭roosman

God, the nightmare we all dread coming true, its such bad luck lad, at least they didnt get the bolt anyway.

I have a warmflow safe I got years ago, held to wall with 4 large anchor bolts. I am starting to freak out about security after reading this, I have hid the bolt & bits of the shotty around the house now.. Lots of suggestions about welding bars on etc, will definitely look at this, something to stop them getting a crow bar in seems to be the key ? I am handy with a welder so if I come up with something good & simple to mod the safe will post it up.

hope u get ur irons back soon, chin up. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Anybody not put their safes in the attic, bolted to the chimney ? Now that would make ahell of alot work for them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

unless they take a few slates of the roof and cut in through the felt,as most people dont have an alarm or sensor inside the attic or no sensors inside at all it can be extremely quick way in,i heard guys doing window washing in dublin used to go wash windows have alook at the security come back when your not there and get in through the roof.if the neighbours happen to see them they think nothing of it.(but as has been said over and over if they want your stuff bad enough they will get it!)all you can do is slow them down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Having a dog with the run of the house has to be a pretty good deterrent?

We've had potential thieves checking our doors and windows more than once- when the dog starts they have always done a runner, a couple times with me chasing after/searching for them...

Advertisement