Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

firearms stolen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

has to be a big dog,my mates place was broke into hes to jackrussels that would bark like fcuk and nip at you if you were not invited in,but the people who broke in kicked the 2dogs round the place broke the younger one leg up ,the pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Spunk84 wrote: »
    Anybody not put their safes in the attic, bolted to the chimney ? Now that would make ahell of alot work for them!

Would the heat from the chimney not warp/damage the wood?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

bazza888 wrote: »
    has to be a big dog,my mates place was broke into hes to jackrussels that would bark like fcuk and nip at you if you were not invited in,but the people who broke in kicked the 2dogs round the place broke the younger one leg up ,the pricks.

F that!
    I thought any dog would be decent deterent. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Would the heat from the chimney not warp/damage the wood?

Not to mention the fact that attics tend to be insulted in the floor only, so it would be like leaving you're guns in a shed. The moisture would play havoc with wood too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

what do you do if you live in a timber frame house,not easy to find any other place to bolt a safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭Hibrion

what do you do if you live in a timber frame house,not easy to find any other place to bolt a safe

I guess your options are limited. Maybe you could bolt the safe horizontally to the floor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Bolt it to the concrete floor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

Hibrion wrote: »
    I guess your options are limited. Maybe you could bolt the safe horizontally to the floor?

Not a problem,I live in a timberframed house,and i have 3 chimneys.
    Just a matter of finding the right spot:D

Virminhunter sorry to hear about your stolen rifles.
    Hope they get the F....kers.
    And you get your rifles back in one piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

unless they take a few slates of the roof and cut in through the felt,as most people dont have an alarm or sensor inside the attic or no sensors inside at all
    A friend had that happen to the downstairs kitchen (which was in an small extension to the house) while he and his wife were asleep upstairs and they grabbed the car keys and stole the car (later recovered, thankfully). That was a fairly focussed sort of attack though. According to the Gardai I've spoken to about this (we were burgled twice in Greystones and my car's been broken into twice in Dublin), well over 90% of these robberies are just opportunistic sods who see an open or easy-to-force door (sliding doors on conservatories are notorious it seems), or a breakable window on an unalarmed house, and they're in, grab socks from the laundry to use as gloves/swag bags, grab anything small and valuable and sellable (cash or jewellery usually from houses apparently) and stuff it down their trousers and run.

However, the lack of sensors in the attic and the through-the-roof approach probably played a large role in the thinking behind the requirement to have a sensor on the safe door in the security guidelines...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

A shop and post office was robbed near here a couple of years back, they also came down in through the roof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

cut out the slab, take out the insulation, box the studwork to suit the safe and bolt the safe to the interior side of the exterior blockwork, and put a press or something in front of it, no one would ever know its there:)

yeah my dogs were probably delighted to see them, probably put the kettle on for them.

A good schutzhund trained gsd would be the right dose for them:D
    vasek.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

a good viscious dog would stop them (me any way) we were building a shed once and there were gaurd dogs in the yard.went into the shed one day looking for a brush and opened the door slowly seen the brush and dog **** on the floor but no sign of dog so crept in slowly:rolleyes: next thing the bitch comes out of somwhere and makes a dart for me,i stumbled back and just got the door closed in time and she was jumping at the door trying to get out:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

My old bosses da who owns a garage has a couple of mean shepards that used to stay in the yard at night, the place was never broken into. now one of them is the guard dog on the house, he is n a chain that reaches just up to the front door and reaches around the back garden. scary ****in dog man! cant wait till ours is a bit bigger, he's one and a half now but big already

My old bosses da who owns a garage has a couple of mean shepards that used to stay in the yard at night, the place was never broken into. now one of them is the guard dog on the house, he is n a chain that reaches just up to the front door and reaches around the back garden. scary ****in dog man! cant wait till ours is a bit bigger, he's one and a half now but big already

My Mother had a gsd bitch, highly intelligent in a human way, she could turn the tap on and get a drink and open most of the doors in the house:D I've the height of respect for the breed they'll protect you and your family with their lives, once the owner looks after his/her side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I cut a hole in the plasterboard in order to access the external wall and then bolted it to that. To tidy it up I the put some arcitrate [sp] around the edges to hide any gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

My Mother had a gsd bitch, highly intelligent in a human way, she could turn the tap on and get a drink and open most of the doors in the house:D I've the height of respect for the breed they'll protect you and your family with their lives, once the owner looks after his/her side of things.

Does she turn the tap off when she's finished???:D

If you want a protection dog, forget Schutzhund.

If you want a real dog, get a Malinois.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

rowa wrote: »
    If you make things physically too secure you could leave yourself open to a personal attack at a later time though , the thieves know you have firearms but can't get them, they simply wait until you come home put a knife to your throat and demand them.
    I am not saying its right but its a possibility and how most dealers are robbed.

True enough..Its also why bank managers get hit with tiger kidnappings. Simple fact is most people are unaware of of surveillance on them or theirs.Practising abit of awareness and watchfullness goes along way to prevent this.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

macnas wrote: »
    Does she turn the tap off when she's finished???:D

If you want a protection dog, forget Schutzhund.

If you want a real dog, get a Malinois.

Shutzhund isn't a breed its a sport where Malinois, gsds and other breeds are used.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

Shutzhund isn't a breed its a sport where Malinois, gsds and other breeds are used.

My point is that if you want a protection dog, you train for protection not schutzhund.

If you want a dog with natural full bite and firm grip with huge drives, you get a Malinois.

I wish there was a Dog sport forum.............

• Advertisement

macnas wrote: »
    My point is that if you want a protection dog, you train for protection not schutzhund.

If you want a dog with natural full bite and firm grip with huge drives, you get a Malinois.

I wish there was Dog sport forum.............

ah I see what you mean now, well I bought a gsd pup for my mother since, shes from a straight back working line I did think about getting a malinois but I think her heart was set on another German shepherd, I'm gonna try and get a BH on her at least.

If we pm the powers that be we'd probably get a Dog sport forum, if theres room for a zombie survival section surely theres room for it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Any word on the guns V?

no, not a word, they're probably up for hire in dublin at the moment:mad: I still can't figure out where the market would be for a .25-06 I mean unless your a terrorist or something what would you want it for? I honestly thought there was a good chance of it showing up, you know someone gets in trouble with the law and uses a firearm as a bargaining chip. Still might show up I spose.

no, not a word, they're probably up for hire in dublin at the moment:mad: I still can't figure out where the market would be for a .25-06 I mean unless your a terrorist or something what would you want it for? I honestly thought there was a good chance of it showing up, you know someone gets in trouble with the law and uses a firearm as a bargaining chip. Still might show up I spose.

Ye I taught the .25-06 would have showed up. Very specific round and not that readily available as the .22 or shotty. It still might turn up. Could be just lying somewhere in a ditch.

How are you finding not being able to get out for a shot?

dev110 wrote: »
    Ye I taught the .25-06 would have showed up. Very specific round and not that readily available as the .22 or shotty. It still might turn up. Could be just lying somewhere in a ditch.

How are you finding not being able to get out for a shot?

I'm grand, I had to leave me trigger finger into Cuin Mhuire the otherday though its gone into relapse:D

I'm grand, I had to leave me trigger finger into Cuin Mhuire the otherday though its gone into relapse:D

:D Just randomly twitching away.
    Might try set up a day/night shooting for ya if your interested.
    Can't be having you getting rusty ;)

dev110 wrote: »
    :D Just randomly twitching away.

squeezin;). thanks for the offer lad, sound:)

Just to do a bit of an edit here, I'd like to thank all the lads who offered to help me out here and on IrishShooter, paulo6.5, dev, gunhappy.ie, juice1304, doyle61 and he's not a member but Sean O'Neill aswell, I'm sure I wouldn't be left hangin if I approached anyone else, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

not a bother at all virminhunter;). i should be back up and running next week again so when i manage to get out your more than welcome to come along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

hi verminhunter is there a time scale to when you can apply for new licences

• Advertisement

steyrman2 wrote: »
    hi verminhunter is there a time scale to when you can apply for new licences

I never heard of it but I'm going to ring them tonight or tomorrow about getting a new licence so I'll let you know.

Advertisement