Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home heating oil

Options
  • 02-11-2011 2:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

Hi, new to Kildare (Ballymore Eustace) and we will be needing home heating oil soon. Any recommendations on who to use or are they all the same?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

That's Wicklow :p Get out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Prices vary, of course, so ring around!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I get mine from Cill Dara Oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

prices will vary on a weekly basis. Between oil companies they'll vary by about €10-€15 for a 500 litre fill, and up to €20 for a 1000 litre fill.

www.cheapestoil.ie will give you a guide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Just looking at those prices and feeling a bit ill. Am I mad in thinking that this time last year it was about €700 for 1000l? Or am I just remembering wrong? Have to buy oil for the winter soon and I just dunno how we're gonna be able to afford it :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The folks use emo oil. The good thing about them is that you can pay off weekly and stay paying after you've finished paying your last bill so your in credit for your next load.Every 4-5 refills their in credit enough to get a refill and have nothing to pay off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    The folks use emo oil. The good thing about them is that you can pay off weekly and stay paying after you've finished paying your last bill so your in credit for your next load.Every 4-5 refills their in credit enough to get a refill and have nothing to pay off it.

Interest free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Just looking at those prices and feeling a bit ill. Am I mad in thinking that this time last year it was about €700 for 1000l? Or am I just remembering wrong? Have to buy oil for the winter soon and I just dunno how we're gonna be able to afford it :(

Oil prices go up and down everyday, but recently the price has been relatively stable, but high.

With the exception of carbon tax & the low vat rate (13.5%), there's no excessive taxes on oil and distributors work on very tight margins. Therefore prices between companie will never fluctuate too much.

Looking at the medium term trend for oil, prices may fall, but not a lot. It also is unlikely to rise. - I'd go for 500L now and hope prices will drop.

Another hint is to drop the temperature down by a degree or so in the house and see if there are other energy saving things that can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Wow, we got a fill from Donadea oil about 6 weeks ago and it was about €730...

Have prices jumped that much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

E39MSport wrote: »
    That's Wicklow :p Get out ;)

I've found out a lot since we moved there that its either in Wicklow or Kildare but the sign welcoming us to Wicklow is just outside the village!
    maxer68 wrote: »
    prices will vary on a weekly basis. Between oil companies they'll vary by about €10-€15 for a 500 litre fill, and up to €20 for a 1000 litre fill.

www.cheapestoil.ie will give you a guide.

Thanks for that....we have a quarter tank at the moment but its not the biggest tank going so will have to get some in the next few weeks. Just need to pay car tax first!

• Advertisement

Another problem....how do I know waht fuel the system uses? Some oil retailers are asking if its kerosene or home heating diesel oil?

maxer68 wrote: »

Another hint is to drop the temperature down by a degree or so in the house and see if there are other energy saving things that can be done.

Haha, yeh, that might work if I didn't live in a rented house with a 20 year old boiler :D Real issue is the complete lack of any insulation in the house. Cheers for the advice though.

Another problem....how do I know waht fuel the system uses? Some oil retailers are asking if its kerosene or home heating diesel oil?

Rented house? Ask the landlord. The boiler should say on it what fuel it uses also.

Yup rented. Will have a look at the boiler and take it from there. Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

E39MSport wrote: »
    Interest free?
    Yes it is.

Advertisement