Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Pudding Recipe

Options
  • 02-11-2011 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭

Hi people,

I'm looking to make the pudding this weekend and would like a recipe. Help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I have used variations of this one from the BBC Food website for the last three years.

For the last two years I made it with dried apples and Calvados as we were spending Christmas with the in-laws in France (they love Christmas pudding). This year I have made it with Connemara Peated Whiskey and Dried Apricots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I think the Stork Margarine Recipe is the best - i'll seek it out and post it when i can but if you can find it online in the meantime.

@Gandalf - no stout in your recipe, do you miss the favour/colour? Love the though of the connemara peated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

kerash wrote: »
    I think the Stork Margarine Recipe is the best - i'll seek it out and post it when i can but if you can find it online in the meantime.

Yeah my mother used to make that one but I prefer this recipe better.
    @Gandalf - no stout in your recipe, do you miss the favour/colour? Love the though of the connemara peated :)

No actually I don't miss it at all and the colour of the puddings is very nice and dark. I like this recipe because its a bit lighter than the normal pudding and after a big meal (especially in France, what we eat is like a snack compared to the amount of food over there!) this version seems to go down better.

First time I have tried it with Peated single malt and I won't taste it until Christmas day but the mixture smelt (and tasted) divine and the smell of it cooking was lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

This is the pudding I have made for the last few years ..delish...

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4857/guinness-pudding-with-whisky-cream

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Here is my Mother in laws recipe from the 1969 Farmers Journal.
    She has been making it since and I have used it a few times.

It's a lovely, slightly crumbly, pudding, not too dark.

BTW I leave out the candied peel and cherries.

Christmas Pudding Farmers Journal 1969

½ lb butter
    ½ lb brown sugar
    ¼ pint stout
    ½ lb breadcrumbs
    2 oz flour
    6 oz sultanas
    6 oz raisins
    2oz currants
    4 oz chopped peeled apples
    2 oz chopped candied peel
    2 oz glace cherries
    3 eggs
    Rind and juice of one small orange
    ½ tsp baking powder
    ½ tsp nutmeg
    ½ tsp ground cloves
    ½ tsp mixed spice
    ½ tsp glass whiskey

Cream butter and sugar. Add flour, breadcrumbs and beaten eggs and mix.
    Add all dry ingredients and stir in the stout, whiskey and orange juice.

Steam for 5 hours.

On the day of eating, steam for 1 – 1.5 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 DubDubStep

Hi, i know this recipe. It's Hairy Bikers ;) recipe.

899_christmas-pudding.jpg

Preparation Time: 30 minutes
    Cooking TIme: 2 hours
    Level of Difficulty: Easy
    Servings: 6-8

Ingredients

100g / 3½oz wholemeal breadcrumbs
    120ml / 4fl oz Guiness, or similar stout
    2 free-range eggs, beaten
    100ml / 3½fl oz sunflower oil
    120g / 4oz wholemeal flour
    100g / 3½oz brown sugar
    50g / 2oz nibbed almonds, or finely chopped almonds
    4 tsp mixed spice
    ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
    200g / 7oz raisins
    300g/10½oz sultanas
    1 lemon, zest only
    1 orange, zest only
    1 tsp salt
    50g / 2oz cooking apple, chopped
    50g / 2oz orange, chopped
    butter, for greasing
    double cream, whipped until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed, to serve

Method

1. In a large mixing bowl, soak the breadcrumbs in the stout.

2. Add the eggs, sunflower oil and sugar and mix until well combined.

3. Add the remaining ingredients except the chopped apple and orange and stir for 4-5 minutes, or until sticky and well combined.

4. Add the chopped cooking apple and orange and stir until well combined.

5. Grease a pudding basin with butter and spoon the Christmas pudding mixture into it. Cover with a double piece of greaseproof paper and a single piece of aluminium foil, then secure with string.

6. Bring a little water to a simmer in the bottom of a large pan with a lid. Suspend the pudding basin over the water (do not allow the bottom of the basin to touch the water). Cover with a lid and steam for two hours, checking every so often that the water in the pan has not evaporated, until the pudding is cooked through.

7. To serve, carefully turn the pudding out onto a serving plate. Divide it equally among six serving plates and place a spoonful of whipped cream alongside

Source of this recipe: Christmas Pudding by Hairy Bikers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

http://www.rte.ie/food/2007/1220/irishamericanchristmaspudding.html

Made this last year. It's amazing and I'm not even the biggest fan of puddings.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭daniels.ducks

huskerdu wrote: »
    Here is my Mother in laws recipe from the 1969 Farmers Journal.
    She has been making it since and I have used it a few times.

It's a lovely, slightly crumbly, pudding, not too dark.

BTW I leave out the candied peel and cherries.

Christmas Pudding Farmers Journal 1969

½ lb butter
    ½ lb brown sugar
    ¼ pint stout
    ½ lb breadcrumbs
    2 oz flour
    6 oz sultanas
    6 oz raisins
    2oz currants
    4 oz chopped peeled apples
    2 oz chopped candied peel
    2 oz glace cherries
    3 eggs
    Rind and juice of one small orange
    ½ tsp baking powder
    ½ tsp nutmeg
    ½ tsp ground cloves
    ½ tsp mixed spice
    ½ tsp glass whiskey

Cream butter and sugar. Add flour, breadcrumbs and beaten eggs and mix.
    Add all dry ingredients and stir in the stout, whiskey and orange juice.

Steam for 5 hours.

On the day of eating, steam for 1 – 1.5 hours.

Thanks for this. Made it last weekend. It looks lovely. Smell is a bit iffy but i'm sure that was only the fact that the greaseproof paper was wet. Can't wait to dig-in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I haven't tried this yet, but it looks nice and I'm hoping to try it during the week.

Healthy Christmas Pudding

mmcn90 wrote: »
    I haven't tried this yet, but it looks nice and I'm hoping to try it during the week.

Healthy Christmas Pudding

That does look like a nice recipe, but I am always annoyed when someone tries to make out that their recipe is so much healthier than other recipes.

Its only virtue is that it doesn't have suet, but none of the recipes listed on this thread so far have suet. Nutritionally, it is much the same as all other non-suet puddings.

Her advice under the recipe to serve it with a small amount of low fat creme fraiche and go for a walk afterwards is a tiny bit condesending.

Anyway, rant over, I'm sure its lovely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

huskerdu wrote: »
    That does look like a nice recipe, but I am always annoyed when someone tries to make out that their recipe is so much healthier than other recipes.

Its only virtue is that it doesn't have suet, but none of the recipes listed on this thread so far have suet. Nutritionally, it is much the same as all other non-suet puddings.

Her advice under the recipe to serve it with a small amount of low fat creme fraiche and go for a walk afterwards is a tiny bit condesending.

Anyway, rant over, I'm sure its lovely.

I agree with you on that, although I'd love to know what pudding they compared it to, this pudding was about twice the size and a quarter of the calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,206 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Thought I would add the recipe I use for anyone who might like to try it,

Christmas Pudding:

Dry Lot:
    1Lb Bread Crumbs ( no crusts if you are making your own)
    1Lb Flour ( doesn't really matter what type)
    1Lb Brown Sugar ( i use light muscavado)
    1Lb Suet
    1Lb Raisins
    1Lb Sultanas
    1Lb Currants
    1/2 Lb Mixed Peel
    1/2 Lb Cherries
    2 ounces Chopped Almonds (if you desire)

Spices:

1/2 Tub Mixed Spice
    1/2 Tub Allspice
    1 Heaped teaspoon Nutmeg
    1 Heaped teaspoon Cinnamon
    1 level teaspoon Ginger (heaped can be a little much)

Wet Mix:

6 Eggs
    1 Pint Guinness (or any stout)
    1 Glass Whiskey
    1 Large Orange
    1 Lemon
    1 Lime
    1 Large Cooking Apple
    1 Large Carrot

Method:

Mix all of the dry ingredients together, including your spices - ensure they are mixed very well.
    Grate the rind of the Orange, Lemon and Lime - add the rind - then also add the juice.
    Peel the Cooking Apple and Carrot and grate them into the mix - again ensuring to mix well with each addition.
    Add the Eggs, Guinness and Whiskey - Mix well.
    Cover with a damp tea towel or Clingfilm and leave to stand overnight or a full 24 hours if you can.
    If you want before cooking, you can add a little bit more whiskey - just a splash to spruce it up again.

Cooking:

This mix is enough for 4 x 2 pint puddings - or 2 X 4 Pint puddings.

Make sure to try and get all air out from bowl - can become lodged because of sticky nature of mix - banging on the counter and podging it with the mixing spoon works.

I cover mine with a double layer of pleated greaseproof paper. This needs to be tied onto the bowl with string, wrap it around twice and tie. Throw the lid of the bowl on for prosperity - they always come off for me anyways.

I have cooked my puddings 3 different ways to date,

If boiling I boil them hard for 8 hours - ensuring the water level remains between halfway up the bowl, but below the lid - always topping it up with boiling water -also sitting the bowl on an upside down saucer. I have also used a steaming section above my pot to cook two at once and not waste the steam.

I pressure cooked for the first time 2 year ago - reducing the steam and condensation which plays havoc in my kitchen - I only have made 2 pint ones, only one that will fit, in which case they were cooked for 3 - 3 1/2 hours at 15lb pressure.

This year i decided to have a go at slow cooking my puddings, I have made 4 2 pint puddings so far, testing one with a full Christmas dinner a couple of weeks ago :D, again the 2 pinter was all that would fit n my slow cooker, it didn't need to be topped up as much as when boiling - and i cooked it on high for 10 hours which worked well for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Stork recipe can be found here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69037261&postcount=6

Asked for it and used it last year. My puddings ended up very dry though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 janekw

Super was looking around for a nice recipe and always seem to come up short..hopefully this year will be better:)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 onzie

I'm making this one right
    http://www.allaboutyou.com/food/recipefinder/fig-orange-cranberry-christmas-pudding-recipe-56392
    I made it last year as well and it's a lighter alternative to the usual pudding fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I made Nigella's Christmas Pudding the other day, you only have to boil it for 3.5 hours the first day (as opposed to Delia's ten hours or whatever it is).

Nigella's Domestic Godess anway, if anyone wants to try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭madon

lucylu wrote: »
    This is the pudding I have made for the last few years ..delish...

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4857/guinness-pudding-with-whisky-cream

I made this pudding at the weekend and it looks absolutely delish!
    However there was massive debates between myself and the OH whether a pudding will keep without spirits in it. He was under the impression that you do need spirits but I was arguing that they are not going to print a pudding recipe that will go mouldy! I checked several other recipes and its 50/50 whether they list spirits in the ingredients and the majority of times they do it is optional.
    I did however add a capful of Jamacian rum to be sure- but I was just talking to my mother who gasped when I said that I used a recipe with no spirits- and now I'm getting worried thinking that maybe my capful of rum is not enough!
    So the point of my blabbing is- what is it that stops the pudding going off when there is no spirits? Is it the alcohol in the Guinness?

madon wrote: »
    I made this pudding at the weekend and it looks absolutely delish!
    However there was massive debates between myself and the OH whether a pudding will keep without spirits in it. He was under the impression that you do need spirits but I was arguing that they are not going to print a pudding recipe that will go mouldy! I checked several other recipes and its 50/50 whether they list spirits in the ingredients and the majority of times they do it is optional.
    I did however add a capful of Jamacian rum to be sure- but I was just talking to my mother who gasped when I said that I used a recipe with no spirits- and now I'm getting worried thinking that maybe my capful of rum is not enough!
    So the point of my blabbing is- what is it that stops the pudding going off when there is no spirits? Is it the alcohol in the Guinness?

I assume you mean keep from now until Christmas.
    I have made plenty of puddings without spirits and they haven't gone mouldy in 5/6 weeks once they are well wrapped.

I'm no expert on keeping puddings for months on end.

Advertisement