Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just found this on my dogs neck?

• 02-11-2011 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭

I was just letting my dog out to go to the toilet when I noticed this on his neck, it's the size of a 10c coin and I have no Idea on what it is.:confused: He hasn't seemed in any pain recently but I didn't want to touch it just in case I could infect it. Does anybody have any Idea on what it is? I'm bringing him to the vet tomorrow just to be safe.

Sorry for the image being blurry, I don't have a macro lens for my camera.

Rustysneck006b.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

You really need to bring your dog to the vet. Looks nasty, maybe an infection. Was it under the collar?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭shannie

It nasty, but I've seen it before on a dog and it wasn't causing them any harm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

yep best thing you can do is bring to vet to check it out. hard to say what it is just by pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Looks like a fungal infection of some sort, possibly ringworm? Which isn't actually a worm, it's actually a fungal infection which is contagious to humans so don't touch it and go to the vet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Its definitely not ringworm, ringworm has red flat concentric circular lesions with hair loss.

It actually just looks like a group of Papillomas (warts) to me, which are completely harmless to be honest, but like any growth needs to be checked regularly for any cancerous changes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

[Quote=anniehoo;75258653

It actually just looks like a group of Papillomas (warts) to me, which are completely harmless to be honest, but like any growth needs to be checked regularly for any cancerous changes.[/Quote]

+1

Looks like a wart to me too. Get it checked out, your vet may recommend removing it and sending it for tests etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Looks like he's growing a secondary brain.

But yeah, vet is the way to go. Hope it turns out to be nothing, OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭teacherspet

It's a wart, I see them all the time. Groomer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Yep agree with all of the above, it looks like a wart to me. One of mine has something like that under her eye, we did discuss with the vet about getting it removed but were balancing up putting a 13 year old dog under anesthetic versus it interferring with her vision. One of my other dogs had a simpler solution and nibbles it!! :eek: It's now nearly flat

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

So is it just a harmless wart? Rusty hasn't been showing any pain from it. A poster said they didn't get it removed due to their dog being old age, Rusty is around 12 now so perhaps the anaesthetic would be too strong for him too?

My dad wants to put detol on it :confused: Is this safe? Would it do any benefit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

is around 12 now so perhaps the anaesthetic would be too strong for him too?

My dad wants to put detol on it :confused: Is this safe? Would it do any benefit?

If the wart is in a place where it could cause problems such as being pulled off by accident while going through bushes or is near the collar where it could be rubbed alot it might be worthwhile getting removed but otherwise I wouldnt bother, the risk of the anaesthetic wouldn't be worth it to me.

There's no need to put dettol on it, it won't do it any harm but neither would it be of any benefit

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭FueledByAisling

If the wart is in a place where it could cause problems such as being pulled off by accident while going through bushes or is near the collar where it could be rubbed alot it might be worthwhile getting removed but otherwise I wouldnt bother, the risk of the anaesthetic wouldn't be worth it to me.

There's no need to put dettol on it, it won't do it any harm but neither would it be of any benefit

We'll ring the vet in the morning for their advice, that you very much for your help! Very much appreciated :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Did you take your dog to the vet? What was it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

The dog we had when I was a child had one of those right on top of his head and indeed we joked that his brain was exploding out of his skull !
    He had it for well over 10 years and it never bothered him one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Apanachi

. A poster said they didn't get it removed due to their dog being old age, Rusty is around 12 now so perhaps the anaesthetic would be too strong for him too?

If it is just a harmless wart, I wouldn't get it removed, uor old girl (will be 14 in Feb.) has loads of little lumps (thankfully all harmless) and a wart on her eye, we decided against getting them removed because of her age, she's happy, pain-free and quite fit for her age (although she does have her senile moments and finds it increasingly harder to up and down the stairs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

go to the chemist and get a bottle of hibi scrup,it a antimicrobial skin cleanser,its safe and used in hospitals,rub a watered down solution over the infection,if its a bacterial infection ,that will clear it up

Advertisement