Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF3 or MW3??

Options
  • 02-11-2011 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I am rubbish at shooting games, consistently bottom when online, but i do enjoy playing them.

Played BF3 demo and enjoyed it, any suggestions as to which to go for? I will only buy one of them at the moment and looking for some insight..

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

hous wrote: »
    I am rubbish at shooting games, consistently bottom when online, but i do enjoy playing them.

Played BF3 demo and enjoyed it, any suggestions as to which to go for? I will only buy one of them at the moment and looking for some insight..

thanks
    Im crap at them aswell, but bf3 is class. Highly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭tipperaryboy

Same here but can always trade bf3 in for mw3.
    PS:Add me if your up for a game Jos3ph89

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Started BF3 yesterday. Campaign is very unpolished. Lots of freezing, terrible AI etc.
    Multiplayer was not floating my boat either, but the beta took a while before I started to like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

If you're into playing solo, mw3 would be the choice.Bf3 favours working with a team and its a totally different animal imo from cod. Cod is more flashy and arcady while bf requires a bit more patience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

they're both different gaming experiences entirely i'd get both if i were you.
    it's like trying to compare fifa with madden. sure, they're both sports games but they're radically different at the same time. it's same with mw/bf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 KaLi_78

I think MW3 will be more beginers friendly like other CoD's
    As I'm playing shooting games BF was always pissing me of

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

BF3 is an excellent multiplayer shooter... It's pretty good even if you're absolutely useless because there is always some team function you can carry out.

I'll be getting both though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Two very different games tbh, granted we havent played MW3 yet but we at least can compare it to MW2. Battlefield is far slower and methodical, it usually devolves into a large scale battle fought in matters of feet per min.

Looking at the two games generally in terms of graphics, sound , controls, single player, MP, re playability..... imo mw3 will beat it hands down. I will keep BF, its still a good game but what we have again is NOT a COD beater which it amped itself as but more a carbon copy of the two games status last time where bad company 2 was good but not good enough to beat COD.

Its an admirable second place. Ill keep BF for sniping seeing as you can actually become a sniper in that game due to the gameplay / size of maps (in COD you simply cant snipe.... you can use a sniper rifle but thats the only similarity that the name has with the real life action in COD at least.)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hous

Thanks all for replies...think i will get BF and maybe get wife to get me MW3 for chrimbo.
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

Battlefield for me all the way.... You can fly helicopters, jets and you actually have to work as a team to win most of the time!!

Don't worry if you are getting constantly chewed up online, you're best bet is to play the campaign on the different difficulties until you get good at it, and then do the co-op missions. You'll be surprised how quick you'll get better at it. I have a 55 year old friend on Live who is a beast support gunner!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Finished battlefield campain really quick and i wouldnt be the best.. so get BF3 now and then get MW3 next week.. Best of both worlds!!

hightower1 wrote: »
    Its an admirable second place.

Sorry , it seems I over rated BF3.... and admirable third place.

http://kotaku.com/5855992/two-year-old-call-of-duty-more-popular-than-battlefield-3-on-xbox-live

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Finished battlefield campain really quick and i wouldnt be the best.. so get BF3 now and then get MW3 next week.. Best of both worlds!!
    Yeah bf3 is only ok will trade it for either batman this week or mw3 next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

You realise that no FPS should ever have campeign mentioned when giving opinions on it right??
    PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    Yeah bf3 is only ok will trade it for either batman this week or mw3 next week
    Do you have a mic? do you have a squad of mates you can play with?? If not thats why you won't enjoy battlefeld, it's not designed for lone wolf cod players

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Do you have a mic? do you have a squad of mates you can play with?? If not thats why you won't enjoy battlefeld, it's not designed for lone wolf cod players

This is precisely the reason I'm thinking of trading in BF3. So far it seems like a great game but I can't really commit the time needed to it and I don't have any mates currently playing it. A few of them will most likely get MW3 though.

Seems like a waste to trade BF3 in so early but if I can get a good offer like trade it in and get MW3 for €0.99 or €3 then I'll probably be happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I don't know what to do anymore, I have BF3 and I f***ing love the game, but sometimes i feel i need to have a CoD game there for me aswell incase im in the mood for some hectic shooting. Thats the chemistry of it for me. BF3 is fantastic for teamwork and strategizing your every move at your disposal and on the other hand CoD is great for complete over-the-top shoot-fests. Not to mention the 60frames p/s, I don't think CoD would be as addictive without it.

I'm not sure wether I should get MW3 next week or just get Skyrim, some dilemma like

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

You realise that no FPS should ever have campeign mentioned when giving opinions on it right??

you don't necessarily NEED to talk to people to enjoy battlefield, i play alone cause none of my friends have it and i still enjoy the hell out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

gamercfc wrote: »
    you don't necessarily NEED to talk to people to enjoy battlefield, i play alone cause none of my friends have it and i still enjoy the hell out of it.
    speak for yourself!! team work makes all the difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭BlastedGlute

To be honest team work in any game makes a difference. People assume because battlefield LOOKS like a team game then it is in fact best played that way. But you can do so much damage all by yourself it's not essentially true that you need a team mentality at all!

Gears of war doesnt look anything like a team game but its proven that moving in a pack can make your team take a 15-0 victory or never get your leader captured etc. There is a team method to any game you play, but also a lone wolf style to, its all in how you look at it! :)

Either way, its a ****ing great time to be a gamer!! so freaking much to choose from its insane!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

People assume because battlefield LOOKS like a team game then it is in fact best played that way

It is best played that way, and thats not an assumption. You can lone wolf and do as much damage as much as you like, but if you come up against a squad working together properly you have no chance.

Thats not saying that lone wolfing it up in BF isn't fun though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Both campaigns are very good imo , spec-ops is great on mw3 , havent played either online yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hous

argh....im in a right a right dilema over this...i dont have any mates with this..but like the idea of a strategy based game rather than a blast fest, might have to be both!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

MW3 for me , some of the genuine posts on here regarding battlefield are valid , but if you want to just pick it up and blast away its cod all day long .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

hightower1 wrote: »
    Sorry , it seems I over rated BF3.... and admirable third place.

http://kotaku.com/5855992/two-year-old-call-of-duty-more-popular-than-battlefield-3-on-xbox-live

Call of duty is good for one thing. Keeping all the little kids away from good games like BF3.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

A fan of both, BF3 is excellent online. Much less of the "you're gay" brigade and the lobby nonsense. That said I don't play with a regular squad of friends on BF3 and didn't on BFBC2 and I never really felt like I was a lone gunman.. Once you're aware of your squad, they're on the same objectives it's pretty easy to be a team player.

BF3 is more cerebral, COD often more visceral.

I think the problem with threads like this is that they tend to devolve into a slagging match between hardcores of both communities.

I think the problem with threads like this is that they tend to devolve into a slagging match between hardcores of both communities.

Well considering mods ignoring blatant trolling comments like the one above then Im not surprised threads like this are ALLOWED devolve into slagging matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

COD = Run&Gun jump right in and start blasting away shallow learning curve but essentially a broken game with choke points on maps etc.

BF3 = Teamplay & Tactics a steep learning curve hard to find good team/squad members but once you do infinitely more enjoyable than that same old tired record of COD in a large part due to destructive environment making every time you play a map different (which is awesome esp from tactics perspective). Plus lots of vehichles and toys to play with.

From what little Ive played it seems that BF3 has been invaded by the MW3 pleb gang - you know those guys that can't even spell tactics let alone know what it means or what its like to work in a team. I think EA dropped the ball when they didnt give the squad leader the ability to kick someone from a squad.

BF3 is a team game and is completely broken on the XBox360 because you only have three squads per game and if two of those squads are plebs then your never going to win the game unless your some kind of Rambo with a 100:1 KDR.

I'm so glad I didn't pay full price for BF3 on the XBox because if I did I would have to return it. Glitchy sound, Glitchy maps with bugs like seeing people through walls etc but hey for 3Euro can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

almanu wrote: »
    MW3 for me , some of the genuine posts on here regarding battlefield are valid , but if you want to just pick it up and blast away its cod all day long .

Potatoes did you even play battlefield 3?

It is a class game IMO

Hit detection in BF is terrible, so many hit markers. Just there I was on the market map....shotgunned a guy with 12gauge round to the head in the open from about 2m away, got a hit marker and he takes me out with 3 rounds from a silenced 1911 - ridiculous. I took note of how bad this gets and had the UMP unsilenced and it took half a mag to put a guy down at short range yet someone with a magpul pdw took me out with 3...yes...3... rounds on metro at close range.

Not to mention the spawn killing, the amount of times I have spawned and been killed within 2 seconds - literally - is a bad joke.

Been playing for a week now and already sick of it. Will prob trade it in for mw3 on tue. Battlefield seems to want to pick and choose its pros like bing more "realistic" yet a barret 50 cal sniper gets a hit marker to the chest and the same with shotguns? It wants to tote having vehicles but yet the choppers / jets handle terribly. It wants to promote slow team based tactical gameplay yet multiple times in a match you'll get killed within seconds of spawning in?

It'd be superb if it managed to get these sorted (along with the glitches and on par graphics) but I cant see that happening. After giving this a fair shot I can definitely advise go for MW3 if you can only get one game. The quality just isnt present in this game to warrant all its big talk for 6 months up to its release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭finno

gamercfc wrote: »

+1

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️

Y.N.W.A

Advertisement