Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA & child dependencies?

Options
  • 02-11-2011 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping someone might be able to share their knowledge with me, as I find it's getting harder to get a straight answer from my local SWO.

Quick history;

2010-2011 academic year, I was on J.Benefit, then qualified for a BTEA of €212, including allowance for 2 children.
    I didn't get any student services fees, or grant, as I had been in full time employement for most of 2009.

2011-2012 academic year, no longer on JB, but JA (after means test = €170 pw), but when I started back to college, I'm told my BTEA is now only €188 (personal rate), and since my spouse earns just over €310pw, I'm not entitled to any allowance for my two kids.
    I did qualify for my student services fees (via the VEC), which was a huge relief!

Is this correct? I'm a little confused, as I thought the BTEA wasn't means tested? That's a drop of €24 per week, which to me, is a lot of money!
    I thought that the €310pw spouses income meant that the childrens rate was cut in half, to €14.90, not taken away completely?

Any advice on this would be greatly welcome, as even the student finance web site doesn't explain this aspect of the BTEA.

TIA.

*Mods - wasn't sure if this category, or Student Finances, was the correct one; please move if you feel this would do better elsewhere.

Advertisement