Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcodes

Options
  • 02-11-2011 3:04pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    I'm starting to sell small products (calendars and cards) in shops, so they are looking for barcodes. Apparently they can be purchased online for €5 but I cant seem to find anything bar loads of different businesses offering them?

Any recommendations?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Hi Sully,
    GS1 Ireland are the most commonly used for business, I use them myself, can remember the exact prices bit they are cheap.

See below link.

http://www.gs1ie.org/sections/Products/GS1Barcodes

The most commonly used barcodes in the retail environment are EAN 13, you use the check digit calculator on the site to generate your check digit, best talk to the folks in GS1 and they'll walk you through the whole process.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tried them but no use as we only sell three products and its over 600euro to join alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Maybe being a bit ignorant here, but I would have presumed that so long as the format of the barcode can be recognised by the shop's equipment, then it's just a case of them assigning the price to it assuming it isn't already assigned to a product in that shop. Granted, big businesses will tend to 'book' or buy batches of barcodes so that there will never be duplication etc. but for small upcoming businesses this is probably not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Maybe being a bit ignorant here, but I would have presumed that so long as the format of the barcode can be recognised by the shop's equipment, then it's just a case of them assigning the price to it assuming it isn't already assigned to a product in that shop. Granted, big businesses will tend to 'book' or buy batches of barcodes so that there will never be duplication etc. but for small upcoming businesses this is probably not an option.

There is a formal process of EAN13 barcodes. You purchase a block for your company and can only use that block. The reasonsing behind this is that you are guarenteed that your barcode for your product is unique. no other business will put your barcode on their prioduct. THIS is how various retail outlets can safely use barcodes at POS.

We used Ean Ireland but it looks like they are now GS1. I don't think you have a choice but to use them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I need 10 products before they will even consider me. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

I understand the system of buying unique barcodes etc. The same principal is used by manufacturers of ethernet devices with preassigned 'addresses' (sort of like IP addresses). But here's the thing - I'm not for one second condoning it, but as far as I know, it is not outright illegal to use addresses or barcodes that you do not own. Obviously if you were to use some big departments barcodes and they found out, then they might come knocking on your door with their solicitors etc. Also, strictly speaking, your EAN would not really represent the type of product that you sell. But for a small shop setup, this would not be an issue I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

MrThrifty wrote: »
    I understand the system of buying unique barcodes etc. The same principal is used by manufacturers of ethernet devices with preassigned 'addresses' (sort of like IP addresses). But here's the thing - I'm not for one second condoning it, but as far as I know, it is not outright illegal to use addresses or barcodes that you do not own. Obviously if you were to use some big departments barcodes and they found out, then they might come knocking on your door with their solicitors etc. Also, strictly speaking, your EAN would not really represent the type of product that you sell. But for a small shop setup, this would not be an issue I would think.

It wouldn't be an issue if you just stayed away from EAN13. Maybe generate you own "Code 3 of 9" barcode. You can be pretty much guaranteed that to not find a product with one of them on it. Only issues would be, does the POS recognise it....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I remember coming across some business online before who bought blocks of barcodes and sold them on subdivided into smaller groups, possibly even individual codes. They seemed legit enough.

Can't remember where I came across them, though it may have been an older thread in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Try this crowd http://barcode1.ie/ or this crowd look quite legit http://www.barcodestalk.com/

and I quote:
    Q. Will my Bar Code Work in a Country Other Than the United States?
    A. Yes. Your bar codes will work anywhere that UPC or EAN bar codes are scanned. This includes most of Canada, Australia, Europe, Asia, Mexico, South America and the Middle East.

Never used them myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Sully I've got about 90 leftover barcodes that I bought from barcodestalk.com for a project. These are unique and have not been used by us, or anyone! Shoot me a PM and I'll sort you out for 10 or whatever amount you want. Have certificate of purchase if required.

• Advertisement
Advertisement