Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Bike Scheme

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Don't think UL would work as it is too far out! Same reason Heuston in Dublin doesn't have them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Don't think UL would work as it is too far out! Same reason Heuston in Dublin doesn't have them!

UL is hardly that far out, it's only a 10/15 min cycle.

Anyhow, Limerick is too different to Dublin to copy the plan as is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think a maintained cycling path from town to UL would be brilliant. The canal walk out to Plassey is under-utilised, imo.

UL is hardly that far out, it's only a 10/15 min cycle.

Anyhow, Limerick is too different to Dublin to copy the plan as is.

I agree but if someone cycles to UL and finds that all the stands are full then where do they leave their bike? They'd have to build stands at groody, the parkway and other places and all the way out from the city!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Oh this is brilliant news!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I think this is a great idea and would definitely use it. I would try to cycle as much as I can anyway but the weather would be the biggest impediment. If it was raining in the morning and I would get the bus but this would leave the option of the bike in the evening when it was fine and dry. Theft would be an issue but it is definitely something to introduce on a pilot scale at least. It's a pity it wasn't introduced 10 years ago.

Sorry to bump an old thread but Limerick City Council now have some maps of the proposed locations on their site courtesy of Arup.

http://www.limerickcity.ie/Transport/NTARegionalBicycleShareScheme/

Nice mix of locations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Interesting. I still think it'd of limited use around what is a compact city centre. Would be really useful if they had stations in Castletroy, Raheen, Corbally, Caherdavin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

I hope that further expansion is planned in order to reach UL, LIT, and Raheen in the coming years.
    Any idea when it's due to be in place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

Delighted this is happening and I'd really love to see it work out. However, I think the mix of locations is a bit odd and the scope is not wide enough. Has anybody thought of who might use them and why? I personally think this needs to take in Raheen and Castletroy if it's to work well but it's almost a waste of time if the northside and southside suburbs and Corbally are not included. The Treaty Stone, Strand Hotel and King John's Castle isn't far enough.

In terms of the proposed locations, having one on The Crescent and THREE on O'Connell Ave is ridiculous. Without much extra cost (in terms of maintenance), they could at least expand to The Crescent Shopping Centre and Ballincurra Road. The scope for this, in my opinion, needs to go to The Parkway, Roxboro Shopping Centre, The Crescent Shopping Centre, Ivans, Westbury general areas at least for it to be viable. All of these locations can easily be cycled to in 10-20 from the city centre. Most of these schemes that I've tried (Dublin, London, Luxembourg) give a 30 minute free allowance. There's nothing in this proposed scheme that would really take more than 10 minutes. I must send an email to ARUP FWIW. Anybody know why it is so limited? The biggest maintence cost with this schemes is having a van go around and move the bikes between hubs. In Limerick, this should be possible with one van for the entire urban/suburban area.

• Advertisement

Would be handy if they had one park and ride style location where there was a rack outside of the paid parking area of the city.

I think the suburbs would work well as there would be a steady flow of people looking to go in and out. One thing stopping cycling into town at present is concern for my bike when it is locked up.

If they don't look at having a substantial rack at UL and the Crescent they are really missing a beat.

As stated three racks on O'Connell avenue is crazy. It is nearly easier to walk from one of town to the other between cars chopping lanes and pedestrians jaywalking. It will be such a waste of a good idea if they don't look beyond the city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭jimmyjim11

From there website
    Please address any comments or queries to ntabicyclesharescheme@arup.com; this
    email address will remain active until Friday, 30th August, 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭fleabag

Brilliant! I would love this, really hope it happens. I live out in the sticks and would come into Limerick just to ride a bike round and see the place. You can't take it all in walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭fi314

http://www.thejournal.ie/limerick-bikes-1043862-Aug2013/

News getting national attention!

Echoing what has been stated in above posts the locations have to be reconsidered.

I moved to limerick city centre just over a year ago and had such great intentions of healthy living that I instantly bought a bike. This bike only makes an appearance whenever I want a weekend cycle mainly to Adare or Kilaloe. I work in city centre and it takes me longer to cycle/lock than it does to walk.

I note that the scheme has been rolled out to Cork, Galway and Limerick. Does anyone know if separate analysis was done for each city? It would be interesting to see the analysis for limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭letsdothis

I contact ARUP with my thoughts and some suggestions for alternative hubs and suburban areas that it might service (a bit like I posted above but with more detail). Hopefully some others that have posted here might do the same.

There's a public consultation tomorrow for anyone that's interested. It's on in City Hall from 2pm to 6.30pm. I'm sure ARUP will have a representative there!

I emailed ARUP to suggest a bike stand at LSAD. It could prove to be a very useful facility for students.

Also, as well as the Bike Scheme, Limerick Smarter Travel are in talks with car park owners in the City Centre in hope that they'll install bike stands and bike lockers. There is a great example of a bike park in Drury Street car park in Dublin 2.

Also, as well as the Bike Scheme, Limerick Smarter Travel are in talks with car park owners in the City Centre in hope that they'll install bike stands and bike lockers.

That would be great. Would actually be able to cycle into the city then. No way I would leave my bike locked up there ATM.

Yeah, I'm the same. I cycle to college but I'm reluctant to bring my bike to town and park up.

Went in to city hall today to make my case. The guys involved were very interested and took the points on board. The guy in charge felt that the crescent, UL etc would be too far to cycle for the casual cyclist and that the close city center spots would be more suitable for the initial offering to ensure success.

I can see where he is coming from but don't agree. I still feel it may backfire in that people may not use the service because the journeys are too short. Maybe I am overestimating the ability of the casual user but I don't think that the Crescent etc would be too far a distance for a station.

I did meet some Councillors who were very interested in the idea of using an old building for bike parking, as part of a FAS scheme etc. This would be separate to the Limerick Bike Scheme.

All in all very positive developments but I really hope the scheme gets expanded at some stage at least to UL and LIT. The colleges are planning on opening campuses in town so it would seem like an obvious use case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

city to Crescent SC is like 15 minutes tops, dunno what he was on about

• Advertisement

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    city to Crescent SC is like 15 minutes tops, dunno what he was on about

Yeah I was thinking the same. I used to do Corbally to Mary I in 15 minutes handy enough but I did cycle a lot back then (mountain bike by the way).

Its 3.4 km from the Crescent to Arthurs Quay. The most casual cyclist will be doing 13+ kmph. Even with traffic lights etc a casual cyclist would definitely do it in under 30 mins, an experienced cyclist under 15 without much effort.

Maybe some more mails etc will sway them in the direction of more dispersed locations. I was really surprised UL wasn't going to have a stand given the plans to bi locate some of the campus into the city.

The vibe I got was this is aimed at tourists and casual users and that commuters will have their own bikes in an out. Its a pity as I think the UL / Crescent routes would be very popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

23 docking stations? That seems like more than was initially announced, have they expanded the Limerick scheme?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

that would probably include 15 of them on O'Connell St.
    (hoping to be wrong)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

I presume they'll have docking stations in O'Malley Park - given most of the bikes will end up out there anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭jmch81

update:

Link

Cant wait to get on a Coke Zero bike! :rolleyes:

A big brand to have sponsoring it. Fair play to getting someone that size.

Really looking forward to this. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Nice to see and we mite actually see someone using the bike lanes.....and it would be nice to see it extended out onto the old dublin to nenagh road where there is fab bike lane that I never seen one bike using yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

steveon wrote: »
    Nice to see and we mite actually see someone using the bike lanes.....and it would be nice to see it extended out onto the old dublin to nenagh road where there is fab bike lane that I never seen one bike using yet.

used it a few times but the surface in some spots is fairly dire so between that and the road debris its not great. definitely think that not adding the crescent and UL and LIT would be a big mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

used it a few times but the surface in some spots is fairly dire so between that and the road debris its not great. definitely think that not adding the crescent and UL and LIT would be a big mistake.

Is it that bad wasnt €50,000 spend on it to do it up???? Been always saying that bike lanes should not be at the same level as the road due to debris and broken glass being blown in there by cars and trucks defeating its purpose. But what really baffles me is the inconsistancy of design of bike lanes around the city, some are level with the road, others are not...some are denoted with a red markings and bikes drawn on them and others are not....Id love to know why this is the case.???? as it makes no sense to me as surely they should be all the same...but once again def should not be at street level...and furthermore can anyone explain to me why the bike logos are mostly removed (looks like a blow torch was used) along the footpath heading from Huntsfield gardens towards the cresent shopping centre.....Im not a cyclist myself but support the movement fully!

Advertisement