Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Bike Scheme

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭redron74

steveon wrote: »
    Is it that bad wasnt €50,000 spend on it to do it up???? Been always saying that bike lanes should not be at the same level as the road due to debris and broken glass being blown in there by cars and trucks defeating its purpose. But what really baffles me is the inconsistancy of design of bike lanes around the city, some are level with the road, others are not...some are denoted with a red markings and bikes drawn on them and others are not....Id love to know why this is the case.???? as it makes no sense to me as surely they should be all the same...but once again def should not be at street level...and furthermore can anyone explain to me why the bike logos are mostly removed (looks like a blow torch was used) along the footpath heading from Huntsfield gardens towards the cresent shopping centre.....Im not a cyclist myself but support the movement fully!

And the bike lane on Childers Road is dangerous for pedestrians: in order to get from Norwood Park onto the designated pedestrian footpath, you must cross the bike lane. If you're coming out from the pedestrian exit (opening in the wall) near the Parkway SC, your view of the traffic on the bike lane is blocked by the wall! I don't understand why the bike lane is inside the footpath. Apart from the safety aspect, it just doesn't make any logical sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

redron74 wrote: »
    And the bike lane on Childers Road is dangerous for pedestrians: in order to get from Norwood Park onto the designated pedestrian footpath, you must cross the bike lane. If you're coming out from the pedestrian exit (opening in the wall) near the Parkway SC, your view of the traffic on the bike lane is blocked by the wall! I don't understand why the bike lane is inside the footpath. Apart from the safety aspect, it just doesn't make any logical sense.

Ive seen more people cycling on the path than in the bike lane there and vice versa so appears the locals agree with you 2 lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Sorry for digging up an old thread.

List of the the finalised locations for the Limerick bike scheme

r85tf6.jpg

Should be up and running by August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

I know they wanted to do it on a small scale initially but surely having a dock at LIT and UL would have been a no-brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭apc

Agreed also should be put in the parkway and crescent shopping centres and suburbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

apc wrote: »
    Agreed also should be put in the parkway and crescent shopping centres and suburbs

The Crescent is on the list, or am I getting it mixed up? Is there another crescent around O Connell ave or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

1huge1 wrote: »
    The Crescent is on the list, or am I getting it mixed up? Is there another crescent around O Connell ave or something?

The cresent is located at the top of o connell street where the monument outside the old Jesuits Church!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

some of the locations appears very close together, within a few minutes walk of each other - Bishop Quay/Bedford Row/Roches St. are they they that close together in Dublin?

I'm disappointed that they didn't decide to put one by LSAD and Grove Island. I think the locations would have worked well.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm disappointed that they didn't decide to put one by LSAD and Grove Island. I think the locations would have worked well.

I hope they plan to expand the range of locations if the first wave of stations are as successful as they should be. My uncle has insisted for years that Limerick is ideal for cycling commutes, and I'd probably agree with him. Apart from the rain, like. Obviously. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭niceview

some of the locations appears very close together, within a few minutes walk of each other - Bishop Quay/Bedford Row/Roches St. are they they that close together in Dublin?

Yes, in a lot of instances that are they close in Dublin. The list is disappointing but there is a massive expansion going on in Dublin currently. I would just hope it wouldn't take years for an expansion in limerick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭squonk

Where will the stand be on the Roxboro Road?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,047 ✭✭✭893bet

squonk wrote: »

I am guessing tescos but the rox road runs all the way up to sextons street so might be outside the school there.

squonk wrote: »

I'm thinking that it might be going in that traffic island opposite CBS where the new road goes through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Vanquished

The proposed docking stations are detailed on this page.

http://www.limerickcity.ie/Transport/NTARegionalBicycleShareScheme/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭squonk

It's all very town-centric so far. I work out at the LEDP so if I could bike it to work and drop off the rothar there I'd be very happy and would use the scheme a lot. The City Center isn't THAT big that you'd wate too much time walking between a lot of those places.

Anyone know if the new pink patch of ground outside Debenhams is a bike station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Anyone know if the new pink patch of ground outside Debenhams is a bike station?
    Yes, according to the security man from Debenhams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I was passing there last night and was thinking the same thing. That's great if they are. It means its happening

Here's a picture I took earlier.
    I think they may be starting in Pery Square too.

357rlgm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

^^^ I bet the taxi drivers will love them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I am still lamenting the implementation of this scheme. Given that Limerick is one way I really don't think it will be worth anyone's while taking a bike as you would end up cycling further than you would walk in many cases.

As I have said from the start and many others have reiterated the fact that the Crescent SC, Parkway, UL and LIT are not included at the very least is a huge missed opportunity - especially in light of the move to have more of a UL presence in the city.

So it turns out that the pink patch outside Debenhams isn't anything to do with the Coke Zero Bike Scheme. It is normal bike parking supplied by Limerick Smarter Travel.

Still a bit of a puzzling spot to site it given the extensive remodelling that is proposed for O'Connell Street. Wasting money to install it only to have to rip it out again!

A better option would have been to place it around on the corner from the O'Connell Street/Honans Quay junction. That area is totally underused and seems to mostly function as a prime location for a spot of illegal parking.

I'm sure in the grand scale of things though, if they have to rip it out again for the remodelling of O'Connell Street it wouldn't be too much of a waste of money.

I don't think O'Connell Street will be done anytime soon anyway.

It's the principle of it. It's all tax-payers money and we're all too well aware that there's hardly an abundance of that knocking around the place at the moment.

It just displays a lack of forward planning when a more suitable location was available less than 100 metres away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

Would anyone here be confident leaving a half decent bike tied up outside of Debenhams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

wingnut wrote: »
    Would anyone here be confident leaving a half decent bike tied up outside of Debenhams?

More confident than on Honan's Quay like being suggested above.

When there were railings along Sarsfield Street it was the main place to park a bike in the city.

I'm talking about the stretch outside Burger King and Penneys that's currently used as a haphazard loading bay/impromptu parking zone. Hardly a no go area!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

I'd say it's being put there partly for the optics of it. Limerick Smarter Travel are trying to promote cycling so it probably makes sense to put the bike stand in a very visible location.

Advertisement